Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Amazon Prime Video Canada (launch expected Dec 1)

No confirmation yet, though Bell thinks it's happening today.

Quote:
Netflix and Bell's CraveTV could face a powerful new competitor in Canada as soon as Thursday, when Amazon.com launches its Amazon Prime video streaming service, according to comments made at a CRTC hearing earlier this week.

In her opening statement to the telecom regulator on Tuesday, Bell Media president Mary Ann Turcke said "a new global OTT competitor — Amazon Prime — is entering the Canadian market in two days."
Quote:
At Tuesday's hearing on the renewal of TV broadcasting licences, Turcke spoke about the challenge Bell Media faces from over-the-top competitors like Netflix and Amazon, describing them as "formidable competition."

"So it's not just our fellow Canadian broadcasters who will try to outbid us for first-run, original programming, but it's Netflix and now Amazon, two entities that are not subject to the same regulatory requirements as us and that have astronomically more buying power than we do," said Turcke, according to a copy of her presentation posted on the CRTC website.

In her presentation, Turcke described "a world where Netflix (or another global OTT player) acquires the majority of the top prime time network television shows."

In such a world, said Turcke, the worst-case scenario for the Canadian broadcasting industry is one "where Canadians decide they don't need any TV subscription at all because the best of prime-time television is dropped day and date on Netflix."

"We must have as much flexibility as possible and have parity with other regulated entities," said Turcke.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/amaz...nada-1.3874326

As for the bolded text... I can't wait.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The big question will be what will its content be like?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The big question will be what will its content be like?
Agreed, the selection is fantastic in the states and I am hoping that they can leverage the companies size and buying power to extend that here.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now maybe I can get the Man in the High Castle.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #6
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Agreed, the selection is fantastic in the states and I am hoping that they can leverage the companies size and buying power to extend that here.
Much like with Netflix, it will ultimately depend on who owns the Canadian distribution rights to any third party content Amazon provides in the US.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would just ask that as soon as someone sees the first link to availability, that we post it in this thread. I'm definitely interested.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is this something that is usually included in your Amazon Prime account? With the addition of Twitch Prime and now this, I might consider signing up.
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #9
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Bell might have over-reacted in order to get pity from the CRTC (although I hope not).
I have been scanning the news on google and any changes in my Prime account and nothing.
Again, I hope it's true.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaPancakes View Post
Is this something that is usually included in your Amazon Prime account? With the addition of Twitch Prime and now this, I might consider signing up.
In the US it is for now.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

"the worst-case scenario for the Canadian broadcasting industry is one "where Canadians decide they don't need any TV subscription at all because the best of prime-time television is dropped day and date on Netflix"

The dinosaurs all died eventually. You have to adapt to the market and globalization, not cry to the CRTC to give you breaks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #12
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
I think Bell might have over-reacted in order to get pity from the CRTC (although I hope not).
I have been scanning the news on google and any changes in my Prime account and nothing.
Again, I hope it's true.
####ing Bell. They can go die a horrible ####ing death.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #13
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

So I can't go home and watch The Grand Tour?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
So I can't go home and watch The Grand Tour?
To be fair The Grand Tour kind of sucks so far. I was hugely disappointed. "The American" is a terrible replacement for "The Stig"
Old 12-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #15
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm just happy about having Amazon fire tv being available. If they are launching in Canada that should also mean they will get an NHL gamecenter app which would make me happy since the kodi one is only ok
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:21 PM   #16
Pellanor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
To be fair The Grand Tour kind of sucks so far. I was hugely disappointed. "The American" is a terrible replacement for "The Stig"
Yeah, but outside of him and the celebrity bit the show has been solid. The production value is great, they just need to work on the content a bit. I feel they tried to stick to the old formula a bit too much, and weren't quite sure what to do with the trademarked bits. I'd rather they drop all that and make each episode more of a big special.
Pellanor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pellanor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 05:24 AM   #17
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep trying to see if Prime Video is available on my fire sticks. Been reading that playing while abroad titles hould work now, but it does not.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #18
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
"the worst-case scenario for the Canadian broadcasting industry is one "where Canadians decide they don't need any TV subscription at all because the best of prime-time television is dropped day and date on Netflix"

The dinosaurs all died eventually. You have to adapt to the market and globalization, not cry to the CRTC to give you breaks.
Overall the whining to the CRTC is less about breaks and more about letting the market decide conditions.

Instead of the CRTC regulating the crap out of the telecommunications industry.

Issue that Bell has is that people like Netflix and Amazon prime don't have to follow the same regulations that get placed on cable cos.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #19
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this didn't launch yet, obviously. What are the latest rumours?

I have often been on the fence about Prime. It would be very handy at times, but I don't order quite enough from Amazon justify it. Usually the free delivery gets it to me in less than week, which isn't terrible.

Throw in Prime Video, on the other hand, and my ears have perked up a little. Having Prime would probably induce some demand for my shopping as well, which further justifies it.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #20
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Overall the whining to the CRTC is less about breaks and more about letting the market decide conditions.

Instead of the CRTC regulating the crap out of the telecommunications industry.

Issue that Bell has is that people like Netflix and Amazon prime don't have to follow the same regulations that get placed on cable cos.
Yah the Canadian government really needs to either make all foreign content providers follow the same rules as Canadian companies or remove those rules altogether for everyone. Right now those foreign OTT providers:
  • Don't put a percentage of their revenues towards creation of Canadian programming.
  • Aren't obligated to have a ratio of Canadian programming in their library.
  • Don't collect or remit taxes to the Canadian government. (If you haven't noticed, you don't pay GST/HST on your Netflix subscription)
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote