Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #201
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
Anyone know if existing subscribers get the $79.90 price without signing a 2 year contract?
No, they can't. The pricing is with the 2 year contract. It's a $135/month charge without the contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
This is true, lol. Its funny...not that most people will ever get close to 1TB anyway.

I just went over to Shaw Court over lunch and signed up. They're coming to install it next week. If they call and offer home phone for $10, I might consider that.
Did they waive the install fee? I was told it would be $100 for a "tech" to come connect and plug in the new router.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
atb
Old 07-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #202
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Eff Telus. They are 2 hours late and no call to let me know. Just cancelled with them and am gonna make a phone call to Shaw now.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #203
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Did they waive the install fee? I was told it would be $100 for a "tech" to come connect and plug in the new router.
I was not a Shaw customer at all, so yeah, the install fee was waived.

Are you with Shaw already? If not, that rep was just plain wrong. Otherwise you should be able to convince them to waive it. If you can't, try one of the stores (say, if they will let you just take the modem from the store).

I think I saw someone comment in the Reddit thread saying they were a Shaw employee. That might be an avenue worth exploring too.

EDIT: And for those wondering, I asked about bridging the modem; she put it in the system right away, and said it would be bridged when they set it up.

Last edited by Stealth22; 07-21-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #204
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was with Shaw already, and they indicated there would be the install fee. I was willing to pick up the modem myself and install it. Saving $100 for 5 minutes of my time is like earning $1200/hour! Pretty good, even on CP.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #205
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I was with Shaw already, and they indicated there would be the install fee. I was willing to pick up the modem myself and install it. Saving $100 for 5 minutes of my time is like earning $1200/hour! Pretty good, even on CP.
Ya I picked mine up from Chinook. Install was as follows:

1. Unplug old modem
2. Plug in new modem
3. Put ethernet cable in Port 1
4. Go light cigar with $100 bill for kicks
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #206
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

You forgot about screwing in coaxial cable. No internet for you!
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:38 PM   #207
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
Anyone know if existing subscribers get the $79.90 price without signing a 2 year contract?
The way I look at it, I'm paying $15/mo less now guaranteed for 2 years, vs with no contract and a likely price increase or two over that time
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #208
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Switching from Telus. When I called Telus to cancel, they only offered me Internet 50 at the same $50 price.

I almost laughed at the rep when he asked if that was good enough to stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
So I called Telus to see what I could do as I'm currently on Internet 15 paying $68.

Offer 1:

Telus 25 which would be $35 for 6 months then $68 for 6 months after that and then full regular price

Telus 50 which would be $45 for 6 months then $83 for 6 months after that and then full regular price.

I mentioned how people are getting Telus 50 for $33 a month for 1 year and Internet 25 for $35 for a full year according to many online places so I don't feel their offer is competitive at all. I also explained how Shaw's 150 is less then that for quite a bit more speed. They explained I'm capped to 50 in my area and that based on my TV abilities this is all they could offer me and what is my decision. Told them I guess its putting a call into Shaw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Totally agree. I'm surprised there isn't a basic counter offer package they offer to clients.

I can understand my area having only 50, that's fine. but when I can EASILY go online and see the deals other people are getting and then call up and get offered 6 month pricing, that's a joke. I even listed off all the deals I've seen other people gets and they just asked which of the two offers I was presented do I like the most.

Did the same thing to us, girlfriend phoned to cancel, they wanted to give us $20 off per month for 6 months on the internet part only....yah see ya later!! Sending us the box to ship their #### back

And I agree on the loyalty part. Thats such a joke now that I can phone up to places that are incentivising new customer deals, but refusing to budge on existing customer deals and needing 6 phone calls before any CSR will even consider any sort of modification to what you're paying. That was the nail in the coffin of my Bell phone account, had been with them over a decade, but they wouldn't do anything to keep me, so you leave and get a better deal. I don't understand any of their business logic
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:14 PM   #209
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think you need to call the retention line directly. Press 4 on prompt.

I think when you call the regular number and get a random Telus person they transfer over to a noob who maybe isn't authorized or comfortable enough to give such big discounts.

I have a friend who called as well and didn't follow my instructions to call the 1-888 number and instead called 403-310-2255 and got a lady who wouldn't budge on a 6 month offer. Both times I called there was no hesitation to give me the best deal possible right away which met or beat Shaw's offer.

In the end it didn't matter since I cancelled today because of them being late and not calling to let me know until a few hours after. They did the same thing to me a few years ago when I signed up but I sucked that up but it's clear customer service doesn't matter to Telus if a few years later they haven't figured out how to make a simple 30 second courtesy call.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #210
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Does shaw have a Netflix app with their cable boxes the way Telus does?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #211
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Shaw would start earning positive revenue from you in month 44 in this scenario. It's a long game if that's the goal. I'm OK with saving $576 over two years and seeing where prices and plans are after that, personally.
So in part based on this helpful post, I ordered 150 on Tuesday. No modems were available in Calgary so they couriered one to me from Lethbridge, and I received it today with a return box to ship back the Cisco 3825 on them.

Took one call to activate, and I'm getting 178! download and 15 upload based on speedtest.net.

Still need to work on pushing those speeds to the wireless devices (seemingly 50 but the hitron connects to an Asus ac2400/ac87u so I might need to check settings there) but count me as a happy customer. Very strong customer service. Very easy switch.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #212
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffobohs View Post
Does shaw have a Netflix app with their cable boxes the way Telus does?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not on their current versions of boxes.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #213
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

So i got switched over this morning and just sat down to test ot. speeds are awesome. Netflix doesnt want to load on any of my devices on wired or wireless. Good start Shaw... good start..

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:54 PM   #214
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Not on their current versions of boxes.
Thanks! Chromecast will have to do!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #215
Jude
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I believe if you order online the installation fee is waived:

Quote:
❖Installation fee: Orders involving a 2-year ValuePlan are eligible for free installation otherwise an installation of $100.00 will be applied for all other services and hardware.
They end up calling you to finalize the installation date so you'll get a chance to speak with a rep to confirm anyways.

Last edited by Jude; 07-24-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #216
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks! Chromecast will have to do!

If you have cable with shaw try freerange tv. Nice watching your cable channels on any tablet or phone. I really like it. I don't think it gets enough attention.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 PM   #217
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
If you have cable with shaw try freerange tv. Nice watching your cable channels on any tablet or phone. I really like it. I don't think it gets enough attention.
Anyone know if this is any different than the Telus app? Some live programming with the full on demand library.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:21 PM   #218
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Yeah was recommended that alright. Telus did have something like that where you could watch live TV but some channels you had to be on your home network for!

The Netflix is really for the wife upstairs, no smart TV so having Netflix through the cable box was handy to watch on the TV in the bedroom. Only a minor drawback though.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #219
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah was recommended that alright. Telus did have something like that where you could watch live TV but some channels you had to be on your home network for!

The Netflix is really for the wife upstairs, no smart TV so having Netflix through the cable box was handy to watch on the TV in the bedroom. Only a minor drawback though.

So shaw gives unlimited access to all subscribed channels?

Edit: Shaw's website seems quite vague but initially looking seems same as Telus. Only some are available anywhere due to location restrictions.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-21-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:34 PM   #220
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I'm not sure haven't used it yet as only being set up in Saturday.

But yeah I believe it operates something like that. That's how the rep I dealt with described it. It's called freerange TV if you want to google it.

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150