Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #21
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As someone who helps people build computers and sells electronics, I am quite surprised to see failure rates getting into the 30% and beyond. Have not really encountered as much myself. Only drives I have dealt with on the list are some of the Seagate Barracuda's 2 TBs and WD Greens and Reds. Personally Ive never owned more then 1 Seagate Drive, almost always use WD Blacks for internal and WD externals. 1 Drive failure in over 10 years personally and that was a 6 year old drive that went into a boot loop. I do see common instances of people using Barracuda's in NAS bays and having regular drive failures when they really should be using NAS drives or at least AV drives in the case of security camera setups.

I would say if someone is using the right drive for the right applications then I wouldn't expect regular drive failure.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the class action
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #22
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ironically I had a few WD's fail on me 10+ years ago and switched to Seagate and have not had any fail *knock on wood*. I currently have 2 3TB, an old 500GB .12, (which used to be a OS drive for 3 years) and a 2 GB portable for backup. I also retired 3 drives (80GB, 160GB, and a 500GB .11) all in working order.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #23
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting to note, I just had a Crucial M4 128GB SSD fail on me after ~5 years. C'est la vie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:41 PM   #24
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Interesting to note, I just had a Crucial M4 128GB SSD fail on me after ~5 years. C'est la vie.
I think I have a Corsair Sandforce on its way out. Also around 5-6 years old.

To be honest, I think WD would be up there too if they hadn't killed the Green EARS (or was it EADS) serial series. EAC seem like the failure rate is ok. Must have been a bad plant.

I think WD blue were bad too back in the day.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #25
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I think I have a Corsair Sandforce on its way out. Also around 5-6 years old.

To be honest, I think WD would be up there too if they hadn't killed the Green EARS (or was it EADS) serial series. EAC seem like the failure rate is ok. Must have been a bad plant.

I think WD blue were bad too back in the day.
How do you tell SSDs are on their way out? All of the Sandforce chipset ones I had just died after a power off and never came back. I was batting three for three on those.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #26
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
How do you tell SSDs are on their way out? All of the Sandforce chipset ones I had just died after a power off and never came back. I was batting three for three on those.
Intermittent freezing while using it. So kinda like those days on a P3 or whatever when you opened too many tabs too fast or something weird and everything stops moving for like 10-15 seconds? Yeah... That's the biggest complaint about SSDs, unlike HDDs there doesn't seem to be as obvious signs of dying before it goes kaput.

Most other friends I know that had SSDs die usually say they just stop booting up though. Mine freezing seems more of a symptom of the controller on it going out (at least that's what it seemed like after Googling the symptoms).
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote