Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #21
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i wasn't going to pick up Bloodborne because of the horrible time i had with Demon Souls.

but after watching the previews and stellar reviews, i thought I ought to give it a chance.

So glad it did.

it is really, really tough on that first level, because you don't really know what to do (as a Fromsoftware newbie), but once you get past that first level and are able to level up, the game because a lot more reasonable (though still tough)

If you are stuck on that first level in particular, don't be afraid of looking at tutorials for hints etc. Best advice for me?

1) don't be afraid of dying
2) get use to repetition - things respawn, levels you finished may have to be revisited
3) find shortcuts, so smash through barrels etc to find them
4) don't over horde blood echos. Spend them when you can, and dying won't seem so bad.
5) invest in health first and foremost
6) walk, don't run. You need to be very cautious, especially when you first start. take on enemies one at a time, and skip guys you can't beat (as much as possible) and go back to them later.

and that's about it... Glad I decided to try it out, as it is one of the best games I've ever played (so far at least)
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #22
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
i wasn't going to pick up Bloodborne because of the horrible time i had with Demon Souls.

but after watching the previews and stellar reviews, i thought I ought to give it a chance.

So glad it did.

and that's about it... Glad I decided to try it out, as it is one of the best games I've ever played (so far at least)
You're not the only one. Lots of people talking about sticking with the game. Hope lots of people enjoy the game.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #23
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundamentals View Post
Think I finally made it over the hump in Bloodborne. I beat the first 2 bosses fairly easily but ended up going the wrong way after that and being in a place I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be at.
Pretty sure I did the exact same thing! I went up into the Cathedral Ward and was getting my ass handed to me by even regular enemies (two shot deaths and such). Headed the other way down into Old Yharnam and its much more reasonable.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #24
fundamentals
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Pretty sure I did the exact same thing! I went up into the Cathedral Ward and was getting my ass handed to me by even regular enemies (two shot deaths and such). Headed the other way down into Old Yharnam and its much more reasonable.
That's really funny, because it was the opposite for me. I mostly passed through the Cathedral Ward without exploring and went right to the lamp in Old Yharnam. The only way I could find to go there had a dude on a
Spoiler!
while at the same time trying to deal with what appears to be a
Spoiler!
Or maybe because I'm playing offline that's what it is, instead of
Spoiler!
to fight there?

Either way, once I backtracked to the Cathedral Ward and did a bit more exploring I found the large gate, which I am pretty sure I know how to open.
fundamentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #25
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have any other Bloodborne players tried a Chalice Dungeon yet? I made one the other day with the first Chalice I picked up. It's kinda neat, though the randomness of the rooms sometimes feels a little jarring when you walk from some watery cave through a hole in the wall into a big brick room full of chandeliers and tapestries.

I shared it if anybody wants to try it out.

The Chalice Glyph to search for it is: 9qn8yui3
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #26
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundamentals View Post
That's really funny, because it was the opposite for me. I mostly passed through the Cathedral Ward without exploring and went right to the lamp in Old Yharnam. The only way I could find to go there had a dude on a
Spoiler!
while at the same time trying to deal with what appears to be a
Spoiler!
Or maybe because I'm playing offline that's what it is, instead of
Spoiler!
to fight there?

Either way, once I backtracked to the Cathedral Ward and did a bit more exploring I found the large gate, which I am pretty sure I know how to open.
I think you just went the wrong way -- if you go forward and drop down when the turret guy is shooting at you, you will get messed up. You have to move around a lot when fighting that other hunter (it's just an enemy) and the turret gunfire will chew you up. If you head to the right instead of dropping down you can work your way through some buildings towards the tower though. There's lots of enemies but lots of cover from the turret fire. After a ways you can climb up and kill that guy or head further down to the main boss of the section.

I'd recommend it -- I did okay in the Cathedral Ward until that gate, after that gate the enemies get pretty tough.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I'm very clearly the worst Bloodborne player in history. Still getting my ass handed to me by that first gaggle of aholes around the bonfire. I hates it so much, just thinking about it fills me with murderrage.

Can't wait to finish work and play some more tonight.

Save up 20000 blood echoes and purchase Ludwig's Holy Blade as soon as you can. Once you get that and level it up the game becomes very reasonable to the point where guns are no longer required.

My only real issue with the game is that the guns are kind of half baked as they really only help out in the beginning when you are weak and melee weapons become so much more potent as you progress. I stopped using mine all together halfway through the game.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-10-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #28
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Save up 20000 blood echoes and purchase Ludwig's Holy Blade as soon as you can. Once you get that and level it up the game becomes very reasonable to the point where guns are no longer required.

My only real issue with the game is that the guns are kind of half baked as they really only help out in the beginning when you are weak and melee weapons become so much more potent as you progress. I stopped using mine all together halfway through the game.
The guns are really just about parrying. I can confirm there are bosses later on, where using the Parry technique is very important.
Jbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #29
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've never been able to get the hang of parrying in Souls games. Can't ever get the timing of it right. =/
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #30
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPlayoffs06 View Post
I've never been able to get the hang of parrying in Souls games. Can't ever get the timing of it right. =/
yeah, like others have mentioned, the timing is tough...

but there are really two main moves to get the hang of:

1) Backstab. Sneak up behind a guy, hold R2 and once the hit happens, the enemy falls to his knees, and a bass drum noise signals you to step forward so you are touching the guy and then tap R1 for the execution move.

2) Parry. So let an enemy walk up to you, and as they left up their arm to attack, shoot them with the L2 button. then everything else is the same as above.

in both cases, R3 to lock onto the enemy before actually fighting.

for me, it feels like the early dungeon crawls of Skyrim, when you were totally underpowered and took an hour to get through because you were so cautious...

damn fun tho
Old 04-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #31
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm having trouble with the final phase of Blood Starved Beast where he basically constantly poisons you. I brought in a random to help and he died basically right in the middle of the fight. Thanks a lot man, I can get that far by myself :P
Old 04-13-2015, 04:51 AM   #32
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had the same issue for a bit, but he kept grabbing me and tearing my head off lol. I know if you have some pungent blood cocktail he is attracted to it and you can run up behind him do a charged attack and get a visceral but it never really worked well for me. I eventually just kept dodging and taking my time and he went down.

Also use some fire paper if you have it, he is a bit weak to it, it helps.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #33
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bloodstarved Beast was tough for me as well, played it a few times on Saturday morning. Kept dieing, but slowly learnt his moves, though soon died. Tried summoning another player and the first time he was doing well, but I got caught by the 1hitkill leap. Then tried a few more times, and kept getting caught by that move before I started to move better instead of trying to bait a parry.
Then the last form started and I kept dieing there, one time where I NEARLY had him but I was too close to him.
The last time, I farmed some supplies from the wolves at the start before the BSB and then I decided to go fight him. I hadn't played for a few hours so my plan was to just have a warm up fight before going at him again with help. Then as I am fighting him, I easily get him to his final phase and I realize I should go for it - but cautiously. I kept lots of distance from him, threw a moltov here or there. Used some fire paper, then when he was low on health dived in a flailed at him.
It was VERY satisfying. VERY.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #34
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought BSB was easy. Killed him on my first try although I died right after I killed him not realizing I was poisoned. Paarl on the otherhand was a bitch. Had to watch a youtube video to get some help killing him.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #35
fundamentals
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I beat BSB on my first try also. Same with Vicar and The Witch. I feel like I am breezing right through the game, although I actually have no idea how far into it I am.

Also, I now have no idea where I'm supposed to go again.
fundamentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #36
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bloodborne 1.03 patch

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/...ils/#sf8582165

We are amazed and very grateful for the way in which the community has embraced Bloodborne. As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Bloodborne has now sold through over one million copies worldwide. Thank you to everyone who has supported the project!

As we confirmed previously, the 1.03 update seeks to reduce certain load times in addition to performance optimizations. The patch also resolves an issue that resulted in abnormal game behavior after many continuous hours of play. Additional fixes will be included as well.

The team is currently working towards a global release of the 1.03 patch before the end of the month.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm having trouble with Rom the Vacuous Spider as I did him out of order and now I'm at 53 insight there's too many surrounding spiders around him for me to get near him in the late phases when he starts doing his water and ice attacks more often.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #38
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
I thought BSB was easy. Killed him on my first try although I died right after I killed him not realizing I was poisoned. Paarl on the otherhand was a bitch. Had to watch a youtube video to get some help killing him.
Yeah he only gets tough near the end when it's so easy to get poisoned.

I went in with the AI partner and co-op companion and didn't have much trouble, finished him off. My co-op guy died half way through again, but then my AI guy baited him nicely -- only had a bit left to finish off on my own once he died.

Got to Vicar Amelia already and got my ass kicked fairly handily. Think I'll need to level up a bit!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:05 AM   #39
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah he only gets tough near the end when it's so easy to get poisoned.

I went in with the AI partner and co-op companion and didn't have much trouble, finished him off. My co-op guy died half way through again, but then my AI guy baited him nicely -- only had a bit left to finish off on my own once he died.

Got to Vicar Amelia already and got my ass kicked fairly handily. Think I'll need to level up a bit!

Vicar is also weak to fire, try to stay to his right side and get behind. He goes down pretty quick.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #40
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Bloodstarved Beast was tough for me as well, played it a few times on Saturday morning. Kept dieing, but slowly learnt his moves, though soon died. Tried summoning another player and the first time he was doing well, but I got caught by the 1hitkill leap. Then tried a few more times, and kept getting caught by that move before I started to move better instead of trying to bait a parry.
Then the last form started and I kept dieing there, one time where I NEARLY had him but I was too close to him.
The last time, I farmed some supplies from the wolves at the start before the BSB and then I decided to go fight him. I hadn't played for a few hours so my plan was to just have a warm up fight before going at him again with help. Then as I am fighting him, I easily get him to his final phase and I realize I should go for it - but cautiously. I kept lots of distance from him, threw a moltov here or there. Used some fire paper, then when he was low on health dived in a flailed at him.
It was VERY satisfying. VERY.
working on BSB now... i thought it was going to be easy, as i had leveled up to Level 28 or so... but i got my ass handed to me 3 times... and ran out of antidotes...

spent Tuesday grinding to get more bloodechoes (and more antidote), and yesterday, didn't touch the game at all cause of the flames...

but looking forward to try again using molotovs/oil urns and maybe the pungent blood things...

damn you FromSoftware!