Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2015, 03:21 AM   #21
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolleydodger View Post
Yeah I brought it up in the Lenovo thread, not good news but for my TV it's just a matter of turning off the voice commands.

Last edited by Vulcan; 02-25-2015 at 03:25 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #22
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Yeah I brought it up in the Lenovo thread, not good news but for my TV it's just a matter of turning off the voice commands.
That actually doesn't do anything, the mic itself is still active and the TV still reports back to Samsung. The only real way around it is to not connect the TV to an internet source
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #23
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolleydodger View Post
While it's something to think about, I would think that for anyone who owns a smartphone, worrying about your TV spying on you should probably be the least of your concerns. Now there is a mic and a camera that is 'always on'. Plus you take it with you pretty much wherever you go. Your TV stays in one room,
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #24
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. If this concerns you overly much, it's almost time to pull out the aluminum cape, like the dude on Better Call Saul.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #25
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If someone wants to spy on me through my TV's camera it's going to be the absolute most boring thing they've ever watched.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #26
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I used to be a Samsung fanboi, now I've switched to Vizio.

Great TVs and you could get 3 of them with your budget.

I bought this around xmas - http://www.vizio.com/en-ca/m602ib3.html

If I recall correctly, I paid around $1000 including tax.
I was looking at these around Christmas as well. Decided to stick with what I have at the moment, but the reviews on the Vizio (m series specifically) are quite good (and not just from a "budget" perspective, they seem to compete with the "fancier" brands).

What are your thoughts? Do you play games on them? How's performance on live sports?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #27
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I was looking at these around Christmas as well. Decided to stick with what I have at the moment, but the reviews on the Vizio (m series specifically) are quite good (and not just from a "budget" perspective, they seem to compete with the "fancier" brands).

What are your thoughts? Do you play games on them? How's performance on live sports?
My gaming is done downstairs on the 120" projector, so I can't comment on that.

I do watch hockeystreams through the Vizio though, and it looks really good. Just need to turn off the trumotion garbage.

I don't have cable though, so my review might be useless.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #28
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Bumping to see if I could get a little help on a difference in quality for the below two TV's (Plasma vs LED).

My Panasonic Viera Plasma has stopped working and I'm not sure if I should attempt a repair or buy new. I'm not good at comparing TV's with the latest LED technology. I have this one: http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/TC-P50GT50.html Can anyone indicate what kind of change I would see if I bought this one http://www.vizio.com/en-ca/e50c1.html. I watch a mixture of movies, tv and sports in a semi lit environment.

I'm trying to decide if I should try a self repair at $200, dealer repair at $400+?, or buy this new TV for $750.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #29
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Bumping to see if I could get a little help on a difference in quality for the below two TV's (Plasma vs LED).

My Panasonic Viera Plasma has stopped working and I'm not sure if I should attempt a repair or buy new. I'm not good at comparing TV's with the latest LED technology. I have this one: http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/TC-P50GT50.html Can anyone indicate what kind of change I would see if I bought this one http://www.vizio.com/en-ca/e50c1.html. I watch a mixture of movies, tv and sports in a semi lit environment.

I'm trying to decide if I should try a self repair at $200, dealer repair at $400+?, or buy this new TV for $750.
I haven't seen your model of Panasonic but I have the VT, and Panasonic is known for thier outstanding Plasma performance. Your model is no exception.

If it is $200 repair and some of your time I say fix it. The Vizio won't beat it IMO, you can delve into some of the calibrated specs online if you want tangible evidence, but you are comparing a few year old Mercedes to a new Hyundai Genesis. Ya the new one will have better and more updated software and look newer, but if driving/picture is what you prefer the Panasonic will be much better.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #30
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd take the 200 or 400 option honestly.

I picked up a Viera when they announce they were pulling out of plasmas. You're not going to beat the picture.

I will actually cry when my Viera bites the dust.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 10:35 AM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I have a GT series I bought in 2011 IIRC. Great display, still going strong and way better than anything I could get new for $1k these days (which is what I paid to begin with). Unless you can get an old stock VT or Samsung F8500 or you're willing to spend a bunch of money on OLED, see if you can get yours working again.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have two Vizio LCD TV's. One E-Series for our bedroom and an M-Series 4k for one living room. I bought them not because they are the best TV's but because they are the best value TV's. They have really good black levels for LCD's especially at their price range.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #33
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to attempt a self repair at $200, but I'll be without a TV for 2 weeks while I wait for the circuit board. Seems like even if I have to then go to a dealer, I'd still want to spend a few hundred instead of replacing it.

I did soo much research on the unit. Too bad it wasn't a year after it came out as there are so many posts on the AVS forum about defective units 1-2 years after purchase.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:36 PM   #34
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have two Vizio LCD TV's. One E-Series for our bedroom and an M-Series 4k for one living room. I bought them not because they are the best TV's but because they are the best value TV's. They have really good black levels for LCD's especially at their price range.
What do you think of the M-Series vs the E-Series.

Looking at TVs right now and could get the 65" E series or the 60" M-Series 4k set.

Just trying to decide if I go with the bigger cheaper model, or step up to 4k even though most online resources say it wouldn't be worth it.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:23 PM   #35
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless you're sitting less than 8 feet from your TV, don't bother with the 4k one.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
What do you think of the M-Series vs the E-Series.

Looking at TVs right now and could get the 65" E series or the 60" M-Series 4k set.

Just trying to decide if I go with the bigger cheaper model, or step up to 4k even though most online resources say it wouldn't be worth it.
I have both TV's calibrated with the Disney WOW and to my eye the 4k set looks better. I had to turn off the Active LED zones on the E series as it messed with the blacks in some dark scenes. I can leave it on with the M series and it's a nice feature to have enabled.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 12:20 AM   #37
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Have been looking at these two models:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...873838e8eeen02

and

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...bfcb8d4923en02

and wondering if anyone could weigh in on if the second one is worth the increase in price?
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #38
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Have been looking at these two models:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...873838e8eeen02

and

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...bfcb8d4923en02

and wondering if anyone could weigh in on if the second one is worth the increase in price?
Exactly what I am trying to decide.

Actually bought the 1080p version this weekend (Had a rain cheque from when it was onsale for $210 off recently), got it home, and the led panel ended up being broken beneath the glass.

Sold out across Calgary and Western Canada online, so back to the drawing board.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #39
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love my Panasonic plasma and hope it lasts forever. I dread having to go TV shopping again.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:22 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Exactly what I am trying to decide.

Actually bought the 1080p version this weekend (Had a rain cheque from when it was onsale for $210 off recently), got it home, and the led panel ended up being broken beneath the glass.

Sold out across Calgary and Western Canada online, so back to the drawing board.
Are transport companies dropping these things off trucks or something? Same thing happened to my brother last year with a Costco TV.

Tags
65inch , hdtv , samsung