Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #201
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Microsoft: Literally Hitler.
Godwin!

Guys that (one of the) first reported this - good discussion:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #202
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It wasn't so much the internet backlash, it was the sales. It's one thing to whine and complain, it's another thing to follow up and vote with your wallet. I'm still going to get a PS4.
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #203
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, so to remove all the DRM bull####, you need to log in online to their servers and download a patch to free yourself? That's a bit . . . ironic.

Also sounds pretty easy for Microsoft to put that back in a year from now.

http://kotaku.com/surprise-xbox-one-...ium=Socialflow

Surprise Xbox One DRM Reversal Requires Day One Patch
Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #204
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Wait, so to remove all the DRM bull####, you need to log in online to their servers and download a patch to free yourself? That's a bit . . . ironic.

Also sounds pretty easy for Microsoft to put that back in a year from now.

http://kotaku.com/surprise-xbox-one-...ium=Socialflow

Surprise Xbox One DRM Reversal Requires Day One Patch
That is pretty hilarious that you need online access to be able to prevent yourself from needing online access.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #205
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only thing I didn't agree with was the once every 24 hour online check in. I bet Microsoft wouldn't have changed their minds if publishers hadn't left them twisting in the wind.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #206
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have both pre-ordered just in case I'm making decent money by November and can afford both but chances are if I'm not cancelling both I'll just be getting a PS4. I have three PS4 games pre-ordered but only Dead Rising 3 pre-ordered for the Xbox One.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #207
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I was in line at an EB Games about to preorder a PS4 when I read about Microsoft's policy change. I still preordered a PS4 anyway.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #208
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be interesting to see what kind of effect this will have on sales. As it stands right now, the XBone Day One edition is #8 on the Amazon.com best sellers of 2013. #1 is PSN $20 card, #2 PS4 Launch System (sold out now) and #7 is the XBOX 360 controller (lol).

Amazon.ca has PS4 Launch at #1. Xbone is #13.

It had better start marching up those lists quickly.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #209
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

http://www.ign.com/blogs/falcon-x32/...-of-integrity/

There is something to be said of the word integrity.

Having integrity proves to the world that you are true to yourself and to others. It shows that you stand up for what you believe in, and against all odds, do not lose sight of yourself. Integrity should be the backbone of all companies and should be what we all strive for, each and every day. That's why, when Microsoft confirmed it would be abandoning its strict DRM and online requirements for the Xbox One, I was more upset than I thought I would be.

Microsoft is just playing to the wind. They are reacting to the horrible press and backlash they received and are trying to right the ship. While that is respectable, the past isn't so easy forgettable. You can't forget the fact that they tried to force us into these new laws and that people would suffer for no real, valid, reason.

All that aside, I think this is a great win for the Xbox One. It is incredible to see the gaming community rise up together and have their voice so clearly heard and see change actually happen. I appreciate that Microsoft did listen and this will benefit both of us come November. That being said, we now know the true face of Microsoft.
LOL. "The past isn't easily forgettable?" The product isn't even out yet. "People would suffer"? Give me a break.

No doubt even this reversal by Microsoft will also be met with massive internet whining and complaining.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #210
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
LOL. "The past isn't easily forgettable?" The product isn't even out yet. "People would suffer"? Give me a break.

No doubt even this reversal by Microsoft will also be met with massive internet whining and complaining.
Heh, everybody still knows and references the infamous "599 American dollars" hubris.

And of course people are going to whine and complain - it's the internet man!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #211
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great short video about this change - "Be jubilant but be vigilant."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...rgency-Special
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #212
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should the Xbone be rechristened as the Xbone one80?
Seriously MSFT caves every time there's a consumer backlash. They had a design vision with Vista, got abandoned. Windows 8 start button deleted, then added back in. Xbone DRM then they do a complete 180. They can't make a design decision and stick to it... then again their design visions don't tend to be the best for their customers.

I totally expect them to flip the DRM switch back on when people aren't complaining about this as much, the installed base has increased and people have committed to the console.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #213
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I really liked the idea of being able to "lend" someone your game. It's the one thing I wish Steam had. I have some friends who have moved away to other cities and it would have been a great way to lend them a game.
then you're gonna be a happy dude.

http://www.giantbomb.com/steam/3015-...a-xon-1441554/
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #214
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
Ya I had read that earlier on in the week. I hope it does happen.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #215
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
I'd be happy with simply having the ability to log into more than one PC at a time with my Steam account. Only let me play 1 active game at a time sure, but don't force a log off on my desktop PC if I want to chat with someone on my friends list on my tablet
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #216
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'd be happy with simply having the ability to log into more than one PC at a time with my Steam account. Only let me play 1 active game at a time sure, but don't force a log off on my desktop PC if I want to chat with someone on my friends list on my tablet
That's weird. I've never had an issue with Steam unlogging me when I use mobile (tablet or phone) and have it running on my PC. Only when I log on a different PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #217
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
That's weird. I've never had an issue with Steam unlogging me when I use mobile (tablet or phone) and have it running on my PC. Only when I log on a different PC.
I'm using a Windows 8 tablet, so it's the full Steam client and not the mobile version (there are a few budget games on Steam that are touch friendly)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #218
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I totally expect them to flip the DRM switch back on when people aren't complaining about this as much, the installed base has increased and people have committed to the console.
Yes they will. And they will likely do it in the beginning with prices lower than buying the game from a store (unlike the current way it is). And if the price is lower people will forget all about the complaints and just go with it. I just wouldn't necessarily expect the price to stay low.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #219
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Sony's TVs don't have to be connected to the internet every 24 hours (and be able to send back data) to work. What's in the TV is a primitive IR light sensor to adjust brightness depending on ambient lighting and to generally sense if the shape of a person is sitting in front of the TV and watching so it doesn't go into power saving.

What's in the Kinect is an advanced 3D/spatial HD camera with IR mapping of the room and user connected to a powerful computer system with large amounts of processing power and storage that will almost always be connected on the network and sending data back and forth. That is easily abused.
Sony Bravia 3D TVs have facial recognition that can detect if you are looking away, who is looking at the screen, where they are in the room, how close they are to the TV, if they are looking at the TV etc. It is far more than a "primitive" IR light sensor now. It's looking for presence, motion, heat and spacial data....hmm sounds pretty familiar to something else.

Quote:
The Intelligent Presence Sensor in many new BRAVIA TVs uses advanced face recognition technology to analyse and monitor who is watching the screen. It can automatically optimise sound and picture performance for people who aren’t sitting directly in front of the TV, warn children if they’re sitting too close and even dim the picture or turn it off completely, if no-one is looking.
Ah yes Sony protector of peoples data....oh oops they don't do that very well do they?

I have nothing against Sony. I own a PS3, a Sony TV, Sony sound system. I like Sony. But it's not like this isn't what the entire electronics industry is already moving towards. Microsoft is trying to fast track it (and doing a terrible job of doing so). But make no mistake it will happen and be the norm across numerous platforms sooner rather than later. Another 5 years and your TV will know exactly who turned it on and who is watching and adjust the settings accordingly. You must already know that any dish and cable providers know exactly what you are watching at any time (and how good the reception is). that sort of data is already being passed back and forth.

And again, I still don't know a gamer that doesn't have internet and how a behind the scenes check in once every day (or whatever they end up deciding on) is any sort of concern.

Last edited by ernie; 06-20-2013 at 09:57 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #220
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: