Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are SEO experts!!! Yozer.

what are your expectations?

I won't call myself and expert but having worked web development in the real estate industry, which puts a pretty big importance on SEO - and having to write a #### load of scripts to manage all that - I have a pretty good idea of what is required..but i don't think there is a big secret and you're at the mercy of the mighty yet bi polar mind of google.

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 03-26-2012 at 09:24 PM.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would appear that I missed the boat with this thread. (Photon, thanks for the kind words).

I know lots of people have mentioned it, but SEO is really a medieval sorcery of sorts. It also doesn't help that Google is already working to transform their Algorithm to hurt companies over optimizing their sites, so personally until that's been flushed out and the repercussions are figured out, I wouldn't put that much money into SEO.

General best advice is to make sure you build your site in HTML/CSS and make sure that all images have alt tags and all links have titles tags. Also make sure that you properly allocate h1, h2, h3, h4, h5 titles to important elements of code. (I.e. the logo or title of the site should be tied to h1, the page titles should be h2, etc.,) Make sure you have tonnes of written content on the site, not just pictures. And last but not least basically stay away from a full on flash site. Even though Google does scan Flash content now, you still won't have the same amount of content that you would on a basic HTML/CSS site.

And a question for others, WooRanks (http://www.woorank.com/) used to be a great tool for finding out basic SEO tips on a site, but it's gone to a pay model (49 bucks a month... crazy). Anyone have a similar tool, that is also not Google Keywords.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
There are SEO experts!!! Yozer.
There sure are. They are almost as bad as Google Plus experts and Linkedin Experts, but on par with Social Media Experts.

(BTW, there is nothing wrong with a good Social Media Expert. Just like there is nothing wrong with a good SEO Expert. If you find someone trying to sell you this stuff, you're first question should be give me an example of either a Social Media campaign or a SEO campaign that you've run. If they can't answer anything like that, just walk away)

The worst thing about the web industry is that it moves to fast and all of the tools are available for free online. So there really is no way to get some sort of accreditation in the field. I can try and optimize a site tomorrow and then turn around and say I'm an SEO Wizard. It's a shame, because it drags down the industry as a whole and you get situations where people are taking people's money and producing a really crummy product.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
And a question for others, WooRanks (http://www.woorank.com/) used to be a great tool for finding out basic SEO tips on a site, but it's gone to a pay model (49 bucks a month... crazy). Anyone have a similar tool, that is also not Google Keywords.
www.lipperhey.com

Even their free eval is pretty good. If you meant something else let me know. I can probably steer you to something.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ranking in Google requires basically 2 things.

1) Backlinks:
A backlink essentially infers "quality" to your site, especially for keywords the anchor text used in the backlink. Crappy spammy backlinks still infer quality, just far less than a quality good link, not to mention a pile of crappy spammy backlinks can get you banned or penalized in Google search results.

2) Content:
Right now Google is changing the algorithm to make content more and more important. ie. Is it unique, do visitors on the page stay for awhile, how many pages do visitors visit etc.

As of right now i'd say content is 60%, backlinks 40%. If you're targeting a relatively week search result, content can get you there on your own with time. However if its competitive, you will have to add backlinks etc.

For backlinks, if you don't want to go out and pay for them, then try and do guest posting on related blogs, write articles for Ezine, Squidoo etc. that are well written as they allow you to leave links to your own site. Write well written blog comments on blogs that let you leave your website address in the comment. Submit your site to Digg, Stumbleupon, etc.

Contrary to what a lot of people thing, H1/H2/Meta/Onpage SEO, isn't a huge part of SEO anymore. It matters, but just a tiny bit. In fact, over optimizing onpage SEO can get you penalized.

Lastly, with SEO, patience is key. You'll probably need a lot of content, and weeks before you start getting any organic traffic. Just keep writing and backlinking and the traffic and rankings will come.

Last edited by Finner; 04-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #26
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed with Finner that patience is key. Interestingly enough the age of a website also plays a role. So if you're trying to get to #1 on search rankings right away you'll likely be raising some flags.

What google is trying to do now is make their searches as natural as possible. From my standpoint a good SEO will be more of a professional marketing team than a tech team.

I worked for one company in a highly competitive market and they added a blog to their website which spoke freely about the ins and outs of their market including tips and tricks as well as more controversial topics. Anytime they had a high-profile client they would cover the story and include write-ups about it.

So really content, blogging, news stories, and dare I say it viral campaigns will slowly but surely take you to where you want to be.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sent you a pm
Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #28
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I would be interested in hearing from SEO consultants. I just started another thread looking for advice on Google AdWords vs. Yellow Pages.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #29
zagoumenov
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
c.t.ner would be a good place to start, I've worked with him (not for SEO, but other stuff) and he's great to work with.

He also recommended this guy for someone at the next level:

http://www.zagoumenov.com/
photon, thanks for bringing my name up! Really appreciate it. Vlad and I talked and we're moving ahead with his site. It might be a good idea to track the results we achieve here. Anyways, hope to talk more soon! Alex.
zagoumenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #30
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagoumenov View Post
photon, thanks for bringing my name up! Really appreciate it. Vlad and I talked and we're moving ahead with his site. It might be a good idea to track the results we achieve here. Anyways, hope to talk more soon! Alex.
Haha, I've worked with you before as well.

Good guy that Zagoumenov.
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #31
zagoumenov
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I would be interested in hearing from SEO consultants. I just started another thread looking for advice on Google AdWords vs. Yellow Pages.
Just came across a white paper that might be useful for you: Choosing a PPC Agency: How to Determine the Right Pay-Per-Click Marketing Agency for You http://bit.ly/HAjeCP
zagoumenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #32
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zagoumenov delivers - just noticed that I am #1 in organic google search for "injury lawyer calgary". Bravo! Thanks for the referral Photon.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #33
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If that's true, your site is having some server issues. I'm on my phone, so hard to tell why they are.

Edit: actually, I think that was the first paid link in the results. Yours is fine.

Last edited by Rathji; 11-30-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #34
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
If that's true, your site is having some server issues. I'm on my phone, so hard to tell why they are.
Oh really? What are you noticing? It looks like it's fine from here. The main site is outdated, but we'll be "renewing" it soon.

P.S. Oh Ok.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote