Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Toronto Blue Jays - Offseason Thread

A disapointing end to another fun filled baseball season.

The biggest questions is whether the team will open the piggy bank and pay EE, Jose or let them go and become UFA's.

Some news fans won't like is Gibbons will be returning to manage the ball club.

Quote:
John Gibbons will return in 2017 to manage the Toronto Blue Jays, according to multiple reports.

Jays president Mark Shapiro confirmed that Gibbons will be back in the final year of his contract, citing his familiarity with the team and his "unflappable" consistency.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/ml...jays-1.3812923
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays new management will change the look of the team specifically the offensive players this offseason.

Jose will be gone
EE will sign with the Red Sox (my guess)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Jose is as good as gone.
I believe EE will be back.

Biggest addition by subtraction will be Dickey and Thole gone.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gibby should be back. I'm not a huge fan but at the end of the day you don't take your team to back to back ALCS if you are a bad manager. Gibby had his work cut out for him with this roster and he made it work. Deserves it.

It will be a busy offseason for sure. I agree Bautista is gone, they'll give him the qualifying offer and take the pick. I think they will make a run at Edwin but the deal needs to be right. I do like Edwin, but I dont' think you open up the cheque book for him and just give him what he wants, deal has to work for you too. I'm also not as convinced he is heading to Boston. NOt sure the Red Sox are going to pay that much for a bat when pitching is such a need for them.

Need to get a couple LH bats and need to get younger. Because they need to get younger I expect most of their work to come via the trade, not FA. I'd love for them to get Charlie Blackmon out of Colorado but I suspect he will be pricey. LH bat who could hit at the top of the order but still has some power to him as well.
Votto would be an aboslute dream. I dont' think its impossible, but sure sounds like Reds are not committed to trading him which means price would be very high. Worth it, especially if Red eat alot of the deal, which they would have to.

Edit:
Jeff Blair ‏@SNJeffBlair 41m41 minutes ago
John Gibbons just told us he doesn't expect changes in the Jays coaching staff for 2017 ....

Not overly surprised but I wouldn't have cried if Brook jacoby got let go. Hitting is pretty individual but at the same time I thought the Jays hitters looked unprepared and had poor game plans for much of the season. Hard for me to not think he had something to do with that.

Last edited by cross16; 10-20-2016 at 09:26 AM.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really hope the Jays strongly consider bringing Navarro back if he's willing to accept a backup role. The guy is a decent catcher, and is a great pinch hitter.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

C - Martin - $20,000,000
1B - Smoak - $4,125,000
2B - Travis - Pre-Arb
3B - Donaldson - $17,000,000
SS - Tulowitzki - $20,000,000
LF - Upton - $16,450,000 (mostly covered by Padres)
CF - Pillar - Pre-Arb
RF -
DH -

IF - Goins - Arb Eligible
OF - Carerra - Arb Eligible
OF - Ceciliani - Pre-Arb
OF - Pompey - Pre-Arb

Free Agents - Bautista, Encarnacion, Barney, Saunders, Navarro, Thole

SP - Estrada - $14,000,000
SP - Happ - $13,000,000
SP - Liriano - $13,000,000
SP - Sanchez - Pre-Arb
SP - Stroman - Pre-Arb

BP - Grilli - $3,000,000 club option ($250k buy out)
BP - Biagini - Pre-Arb
BP - Osuna - Pre-Arb
BP - Tepera - Pre-Arb
BP - Loup - Arb Eligible

Free Agents - Dickey, Benoit, Cecil, Feldman

$120,575,000 including Grilli option (closer to $105,000,000 with Padres covering most of Upton's salary)

- Need some OF's, preferably left handed bats or switch hitters with good OBP and speed, can't start next season with Upton/Pillar/Carerra as your top 3 OF's
- Need a DH
- Need to upgrade 1B clearly, Smoak should not be the everyday 1B starting next season
- Need some solid bullpen arms, especially a high leverage lefty or two
- Need a back up catcher
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taken from the other thread, as it's more on topic with this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I'm not as sold on Stroman as others. Zaun said last year that Stroman will be in the bullpen in a couple years because he has no downward trajectory on his pitches, and I think he may be spot on. Look at his stats the third time through the lineup, they are pretty bad. Sure seems to lend some credibility to what the former catcher was saying.
That's a possibility for sure, and not a bad thing either.

Bullpen needs good arms too. You are bang on about his third trip through a batting order. He could end up being a solid long man.

I wonder if the Jays look to stretch out Biagini or Osuna?

Personally I'd rather they keep Osuna as a late inning bullpen guy/closer, but stretching out Biagini is intriguing to me.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

what do you guys think of John Jay? 7 million lead off guy, bats left and can steal bases. pretty light hitting though.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Taken from the other thread, as it's more on topic with this one:

That's a possibility for sure, and not a bad thing either.

Bullpen needs good arms too. You are bang on about his third trip through a batting order. He could end up being a solid long man.

I wonder if the Jays look to stretch out Biagini or Osuna?

Personally I'd rather they keep Osuna as a late inning bullpen guy/closer, but stretching out Biagini is intriguing to me.
They wanted to convert Osuna last season but he wanted to stay in the pen.

Biagini was a failed starter which is why he's in the pen.

I think Stroman needs to struggle a little more to have that move considered. SP are way more valuable so you got to wait until they get out of the funk or until you are positive they cannot hack it.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would argue on the Stroman issue in the sense I don't think he will be the Ace or top 2 starter maybe he looked like in 2015. However, I do still think he will be an above average starter. His ERA, WHIP, Op Avg by month:
April 4.37 1.03 .208
May 4.54 1.44 .289
June 7.76 1.91 .364
July 3.71 1.06 .242
August 3.13 1.14 .252
September 3.41 1.27 .239

Post season: 4.76 ERA but a 0.88 WHIP and Op Avg of .171

The fact the he got better as the year went on makes me inclined to disagree with Zaun and think that he does have a future as a starter. He had 1 terrible month, and then was very good the rest of the year.

Stretching out Biagini is interesting. I do think the Jays are going to have to go the trade route to beef up the lineup and obviously teams are going to ask about pitching. Do they dangle a starter knowing they have Biagini as a safety net? do they re visit Osuna in the rotation? I'm not really for the idea of Osuna in the rotation, and sounds like he isn't, but I do think he would be a VERY good starting pitcher.
The Following User Says Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #11
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they don't deal any of their starting pitching away.

They are set up nicely with the 5 they have, but the depth after that could be an issue if anyone goes down to injury for a while.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I hope they don't deal any of their starting pitching away.

They are set up nicely with the 5 they have, but the depth after that could be an issue if anyone goes down to injury for a while.
I don't either but you've got to give to get and they don't have a ton of bargaining chips unforutnately.

I agree on the depth too. Something that doens't get mentioned enough is they had insane health in their starting pitching this year and I believe had some of the fewest missed starts in the league. The likelihood that happens again isn't high. They need more depth irregardless if they want to deal pitching or not.

Last edited by cross16; 10-20-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My dream offseason:
1. Sign Edwin
2. Trade for Votto
3. Sign Chapman and use him in a similar way to what Cleveland did with Miller - high leverage situations regardless of inning.
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #14
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
My dream offseason:
1. Sign Edwin
2. Trade for Votto
3. Sign Chapman and use him in a similar way to what Cleveland did with Miller - high leverage situations regardless of inning.
Looks good to me, but that wouldn't leave much money (if any) to improve the outfield. Depending on budget of course, and how much of Votto's deal they'd be on the hook for.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #15
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Isn't Jay Bruce a FA? The Jays were certainly interested in him earlier this year.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #16
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yikes, didn't realize Russell made $20m. That's a lot of money to pay a great defensive player/leader who can't hit a fast ball.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #17
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
My dream offseason:
1. Sign Edwin
2. Trade for Votto
I'm assuming Chapman wants to close.

Could move Osuna into the Miller role, I suppose.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #18
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Personally I think Chapman is a pipe dream. I don't see Shapiro and co entertaining the type of contract Chapman will receive in FA. Might need 5 years and close to 60 million or more to get it done. That's a pretty outlandish deal for a closer IMO. I don't think that's smart nor in the cards given the salary commitments they already have.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #19
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Looks good to me, but that wouldn't leave much money (if any) to improve the outfield. Depending on budget of course, and how much of Votto's deal they'd be on the hook for.
Agreed - Upton/Pillar/Carrera is very weak but I'm hoping the strength of Donaldson/Encarnacion/Votto/Tulo would sustain the offence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I'm assuming Chapman wants to close.

Could move Osuna into the Miller role, I suppose.
Yeah, if necessary make Chapman the closer and Osuna the fireman. I'm hoping the success and attention around Miller this post season will make managers and players start valuing that role more than the save statistic.
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #20
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Blue Jays Should Rebuild

Interesting article.

Agree, disagree?