Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default LF: iPad 2 Case w/ space for keyboard

Hi Tech forum,

I am looking for case for my iPad that has space for a keyboard, but no keyboard. I have an Apple bluetooth keyboard so I don't need the actual keyboard to come with it. Most of what I see seems to have a keyboard built-in, which I obviously don't want. It's frustrating me because I bought one a few years ago at a freaking airport that had this, and now I can only find ones that either have the keyboard built-in, or no space for a keyboard at all.

yes, I could just get a case that carries both, but I want to be able to fold it out and have the keyboard already attached. Anyone know of anything? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Which iPad? Mini, Air, Pro...?
2. Are you talking about a full sized Apple keyboard or a different one? (Unsure how you'd "roll" a keyboard out)
2B. Assuming no neoprene cases?
3. Can't you look at the old case and order it again?

I'm assuming some Folio style case as at this point where the keyboard would just sit between the iPad screen and the other side of the cover of the Folio case? Possibly even a Gen 1 version since the older ones were thicker, thus allowing more room inside the folio for a keyboard?

Usually such folio cases have pad paper on the other side. You'd remove said pad and place a keyboard in place. Possibly keep it in place with a clip?

Something like this?
http://www.dodocase.com/products/dod...ini-and-retina

But unsure if dimensions would play nice with the keyboard. Also unsure if you'd need to acquire some way to keep the keyboard/iPad from breaking from repeated mashing of the keyboard keys inside the case.

EDIT: http://www.amazon.ca/iCarryAll-Execu...lio+case+paper

This looks promising as well, maybe a bit bulky, but again, unsure of the ipad size. You'd also still need some way to protect the keyboard keys.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-07-2016 at 11:57 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

1: iPad gen 2
2: I said fold out, not roll out. The one I have now had sticky pads where I could place the keyboard and the case would prop up the iPad after unfolding it so its basically like a laptop. (ie, the ones you posted that just open like a book aren't really what I'm after. I want it to fold up that way, but be able to have the keyboard attached to it at all times). Basically ends up looking like this, but I don't want the keyboard to be there because I already have one haha. My current one has the flap where a keyboard would be, but just two sticky pads where you can place an Apple keyboard. The sticky's have worn away and the case isn't holding together very well (needs rubber bands to hold the keyboard in place), which is why I want a new one.

my keyboard is just a small battery Bluetooth one. Not full-sized:

2B: Don't really care what it's made of as long as it's sturdy enough to hold up the iPad. Would prefer something leather with decent protection though.

3: I really actually hate the one I have. It's cheap and falling apart. But I love the way it folds itself and holds the keyboard. I figured something similar would be easy to find but apparently not.

I also don't want to spend a bunch of change on it. even $50 seems ludicrous to me, but I'll pay it because that's what most are. But $100? No freaking chance. I'd rather make something out of duct tape and cardboard.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, read too fast on point 2 I think.

I haven't had much luck figuring out a product that will meet your needs. The closest was this:
Spoiler!

I also found this though which the majority of similar current available products seemed to be designed like (Keyboard on table, not in case):

http://touchtypecase.com

But it doesn't seem like what you're looking for.

Spoiler!

I've also seen threads that discuss the idea of retrofitting old CD album cases or show pictures of jerry rigged options that look like someone removed the binder coils out of a zip up binder or day timer.

ie: http://www.amazon.ca/Hilroy-29124-Cl...rds=zip+binder

I presume a "stand" on the outside of the binder would be necessary to keep the iPad standing up.

Sorry dude, I'm coming up empty.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-07-2016 at 05:16 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for looking DoubleF. Seems so crazy to me that this is not an option. I guess most want to sell with a keyboard attached, but particularly since Apple sells the keyboards separately, you'd that they would have a model made for this. WTF?! lol.