Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Fiverr and web design

Does anyone have any experience with hiring someone from Fiverr or a similar service for web design? I have an old website I want to update and I don't have the same drive to build it again myself. I'd most definitely pay more than $5 for a site - I just can't swing the $$$ it costs right now to go the pro route.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never knew fiverr was a thing.

I do websites on the side, and while they are not a terribly complex task, I can't even imagine how terrible a product I would expect to get for the $6-$20 range people are talking about there.

You are talking the equivalent of logging into your host. Clicking install Wordpress on whatever CPanel they have and entering in a few details. Even that I wouldn't do for $20, and I am pretty much an amateur.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

You get what you pay for with such things, usually. Why not look into hiring a student of a local web design program? Fiverr is a cancer for designers.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

You will get a steaming turd from Fiverr or 99Designs or any other site that positions design as a skill not worth paying for. (At least, I hope you will.)

I'd recommend going the premium wordpress theme route. There are lots of really solid responsive wordpress themes under $100, and loads of students/hobbyists who will happily set that up for you for a couple hundred. (You can also find dirt cheap hosting for wordpress sites which sounds like something you'd be interested in.) A lot of premium themes are easily "brandable" to make your own.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #5
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the replies. Here's my dilemma (in my mind, anyway - I could be way off on this). I currently have my site with GoDaddy. It's hosted there and I pay for my domain through there. I recently just renewed and I believe it is for 2 years.

Every time I've looked into Wix/Squarespace/Weebly/etc. it seems that I have to pay a monthly fee with them. I don't want to pay double (GoDaddy & new site) for one site that is essentially a business card - with no real new content ever. I'd love to hire someone to design a simple site for me that can just be dropped into my current GoDaddy setup.

I definitely believe in you get what you pay for - but I thought with sites like Fiverr services began at $5 and the good/talented people charged more. I'll start looking around for other options...
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

You liken your website to a business card, which is a pretty good analogy. Squarespace is about $100/year, and I imagine your hosting is likely the same. Out of curiosity, how much business do you need to muster up with this website to make about $200?

The absolute cheapest method was mentioned by MickMcGeough. Set up a wordpress site via go daddy, then go buy yourself a theme. You'll have to do some of the work yourself, but if hire somebody on a $200 budget, your site is going to be hilarious.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree a nice responsive premium theme with some decent customizations would be a good budget plan.

I often use Avada - https://theme-fusion.com/themes/avada-wordpress-theme/ for limited budget jobs and that kind of thing. The fusion builder can let you choose between a bunch of premade templates, or you can build something custom yourself.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:00 AM   #8
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
You get what you pay for with such things, usually. Why not look into hiring a student of a local web design program? Fiverr is a cancer for designers.
I am an Instructor at SAIT for one of our web development programs. Feel free to PM me, and we'll see if we can get you hooked up with a student to help.