Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Custom Computer Build - Recommendations

I'm looking to upgrade my PC at home so that I can do work at home for it. Some of the programs that I need are AutoCAD and Revit, and was wondering what are some good parts to be looking at? Haven't looked at computer parts in a couple years now and a lot has changed. Need a good GPU & proccessor to withhold heavy 3D renderings at a fast pace if possible. Any recommendations on a good build that would be quiet yet powerful? Budget doesn't matter, as long as the product is worth the price. Thanks and let me know if the products below are any good.

Case:
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/p...efine-r5-black

GPU:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX57626

CPU:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX52609
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX53269
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX58496

Last edited by hockey.modern; 01-04-2016 at 06:14 PM.
hockey.modern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you gaming? If not, a Quadro (like a K4200 or something) is a better choice for rendering/workstation applications. Apparently the Titan X is very good for WS as well.

Any of the i7s you posted would be fine, just know that the 6700k is a bit picky (and hard to get your hands on). Really, the 5930k is the best for workstation applications, but the x99 chipset is an expensive MoBo/RAM set. The 4790k is an acceptable cheaper option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Are you gaming? If not, a Quadro (like a K4200 or something) is a better choice for rendering/workstation applications. Apparently the Titan X is very good for WS as well.

Any of the i7s you posted would be fine, just know that the 6700k is a bit picky (and hard to get your hands on). Really, the 5930k is the best for workstation applications, but the x99 chipset is an expensive MoBo/RAM set. The 4790k is an acceptable cheaper option.
Alright thanks. What are some brands for motherboards I should consider versus others?
Old 01-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had a lot of luck with Gigabyte, good value for $.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kicking tires on replacing our (very good) HP Elite AMD desktop that is 5+ years old. Gotten more then full value from it, considering its a daily appliance.

Seems like an i5, a Samsung 250GB (or more) SSD (plus usual hard drive), 8-12 GB Ram (minimum, with the ability to double that) are the basic requirements.

Would like some sort of basic, dedicated video card just because, maybe for light gaming, and maybe would like to have futureproof down the road to drive a 4k display at a decent rate, down the road. The 4k capable video card can be upgraded down the road as cost is a consideration now, but would want to just plug and play that, without changing anything like a MB or PSU if/when I do that.

Probably a custom build, as I've found out that most of the retail builds have a weak PSU or a PSU without enough plugs for adding an SSD. Obviously would have to add an SSD in that case.
If there is a retail build that has the above, and just need (and able to add without issue) an SSD, please let me know.

Otherwise, what should I be looking at $ wise as a custom build, given the basics for now, futureproof requirements listed above, and current cost considerations? $800?

Last edited by browna; 02-13-2016 at 01:36 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a build that has some of what you want. Change the video card to a GTX 960 or 950 as they have HDMI 2.0 if you plan on connecting to a 4K TV. If not any card with a DP connection should be capable of 4K. For gaming at 4K you'll need more than a GTX960 though. I'd look at spending closer to $1200.

You can customize your own hardware needs at this site as well. Just be on the Canada side.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/7MM...-390-gaming-pc
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Here's a build that has some of what you want. Change the video card to a GTX 960 or 950 as they have HDMI 2.0 if you plan on connecting to a 4K TV. If not any card with a DP connection should be capable of 4K. For gaming at 4K you'll need more than a GTX960 though. I'd look at spending closer to $1200.

You can customize your own hardware needs at this site as well. Just be on the Canada side.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/7MM...-390-gaming-pc
Thanks.
As said, that particular video card is overkill for now in need and cost.

I am sure that the dedicated video chips are "better" then the dedicated card I have now, that's 6 years old, but if even I drop down to a 2GB card, it gets the price down around $300. In a couple years when 4k monitors comes down, I can re-up the card.

As for PSU, more power is better for future, but would a 450w be able to run something like that? Edit: Looks as if that card needs a 600W, according to the specs, so even the 550w is maybe not enough? I don't know enough about those ratings, if they're absolute or just guidelines.

In poking around the last few minutes, found a good deal on a 450w, which seems to better than most retail systems.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's another guideline for a $1000 build. It has a 750 watt PS which is probably overkill but if the price is right.

http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=...nt=3&subpage=1

Also you can use shopbote to get the best prices. NCIX and Memory express pricematch most hardware.

NCIX will also build and test your computer for you for $50 along with I believe a one year guarantee. Maybe Memory Express will do the same.

http://search.ncix.com/products/?sku=7842
Old 02-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #9
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a 600 watt PS that I used on my recent build. You maybe able to find it for less.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-c...78577-1148.htm
Old 02-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if hockey.modern has already purchased the case or not, but I have the Fractal Design Define R4 in black and it's a sweet case... and I'm selling it because I needed something that was a bit easier to store in a shelf. Mine's in mint condition with all the screws and extra bits.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #11
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thousand bucks for that gtx 980 card aieeeeee.

Price of oil did not affect the OP poster.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Thousand bucks for that gtx 980 card aieeeeee.

Price of oil did not affect the OP poster.
And that's the budget version of the Titan X. Gaming can be an expensive hobby.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #13
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have a gtx 970, run 3 monitors and play vids while I stream netflix or hockey and have no issues at all.

A friend of mine has two titans in SLI and I don't really notice a difference between his setup and mine. I think it mostly comes down to him having 32 gigs or ram and me having 16.

Like, I'm sure there is a massive difference in performance between the two cards, but will the average gamer even notice?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #14
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
And that's the budget version of the Titan X. Gaming can be an expensive hobby.
Oh yeah . . . The new rig for me was over 4k recently.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #15
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I have a gtx 970, run 3 monitors and play vids while I stream netflix or hockey and have no issues at all.

A friend of mine has two titans in SLI and I don't really notice a difference between his setup and mine. I think it mostly comes down to him having 32 gigs or ram and me having 16.

Like, I'm sure there is a massive difference in performance between the two cards, but will the average gamer even notice?
Probably has more to do with the screen resolution. The two Titans can power a 4K screen while the gtx 970 would be happier at 1440P.