Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition for iPad and PC Now Available

Finally!

http://www.baldursgate.com
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/id515114051?mt=8

Soon to be out for Android, Mac as well.

Last edited by FanIn80; 12-07-2012 at 11:17 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

If you have a PC, and the original DVDs, do a Google search for the widescreen mod and save yourself the money. You'll also find a large number of NPC mods that add banter ala BG2, new quests, bug fixes, etc.

Might be fun to try it on a tablet, though.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just played the tutorial on the bus. I don't like that when I take Imoen to disarm a trap, I click the "thief skill" button, and then make her walk into the trap. At least in the PC version, the cursor would change so that you knew whether the action would perform a movement of the character or the application of a skill. Similarly between a pick-pocket or if I want Imoen to talk to someone. In the PC version, the cursor would tell me what action I was about to perform.

Also, I had trouble getting Imoen to move where I wanted her to go. I had to click on her portrait and then move her, because selecting her on the screen didn't want to work for some reason.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
I just played the tutorial on the bus. I don't like that when I take Imoen to disarm a trap, I click the "thief skill" button, and then make her walk into the trap. At least in the PC version, the cursor would change so that you knew whether the action would perform a movement of the character or the application of a skill. Similarly between a pick-pocket or if I want Imoen to talk to someone. In the PC version, the cursor would tell me what action I was about to perform.

Also, I had trouble getting Imoen to move where I wanted her to go. I had to click on her portrait and then move her, because selecting her on the screen didn't want to work for some reason.
Imoen picked the lock on the chest in my tutorial session and the game didn't recognize it had happened. So that was pretty much the end of my tutorial session.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

They added a tutorial? I've heard there were some new bugs introduced to the game, so maybe it's just these added sequences.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I just had a game-gasm. Minsc and Boo! Now if only I didn't have to work tomorrow and could stay up all night playing...
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Okay... I'm getting frustrated with the game.

First, let's say that I'm in a room with several chests, barrels and other things that could contain treasure. In the original I would just cursor over it and it would turn blue to see if it actually is a holding spot for items. In the iPad version do you have to walk over to EVERYTHING to see if it is a holding spot?

Second, I'm having a REAL hard time entering and exiting buildings. My character just seems to want to stay in the entranceway. How do you know where to click for them to actually enter/exit a room?

Edit: Apparently there is a "Loot button" that should resolve issue 1. However issue 2 seems to be a shared criticism.

From http://pockettactics.com/2012/12/08/...tion-for-ipad/
Quote:
The procedure to bring Baldur’s Gate’s to the iPad has left a few scars. By far the most frustrating interface problem involves the doors, stairways, and other passages that connect one zone to another. It isn’t always obvious to the eye what parts of the background texture are interactive. On the PC you can discover functional doorways by hovering your mouse cursor, which changes to signify that you can click to send your party on their merry way. But the iPad presents a couple of problems. First, in a bizarre oversight the “loot” button that’s supposed to highlight all the tappable on-screen elements, actually fails to highlight most of the doors in the game. Second, you often have to tap a door just so before the game understands that you want to use it. Sometimes you need to tap the door itself, other times the little patch of ground just past the door. No, not that patch, the one next to it! But first you’ll need to move your whole party away from the door before you can try it again, like a jet fighter circling its carrier for another landing pass.

Last edited by Devils'Advocate; 12-13-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
Edit: Apparently there is a "Loot button" that should resolve issue 1. However issue 2 seems to be a shared criticism.

From http://pockettactics.com/2012/12/08/...tion-for-ipad/
Loot button is on the bottom right corner along with the AI button.

I find there are serious tracking problems with the iPad version, which may be causing problems like the inability to go up stairs or through entrances without several tries.

I find it frustrating at times when I select to attack a monster and my player walks to that location instead. Sometimes I walk back and forth selecting a chest/barrel several times before it actually opens it.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/1...on-review-ipad

Many reviews are stating the same.

"Oh, I want to attack that hobgoblin!" "Oh, my party just decided to walk over to the hobgoblin and scratch their ass while being flailed upon by the hoard".

Particularly annoying is when you want someone with a ranged weapon to attack something and they end up just walking in front of the melee fighters.

And IF you manage to get your party to kill the hobgoblin, it then takes 30 to 40 minutes to pick up the loot they left behind because even if you zoom in you can't get the point exactly right to get the treasure.

Ah well, only a waste of $10.

Last edited by Devils'Advocate; 12-16-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm holding off on the ipad version until it's patched - most reviews I've read discuss the disappointing controls.

Shame, I really want it to be good for mobile.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

PC version is smooth but I forgot how hard old-school games were. There's no gentle ramp-up as you gain experience, it's more "hey you met an NPC 6 levels above you who wants to kill you, so hello reload city! Come back again sometime!"