Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What's your approach to home network security?

Currently I'm using a D-Link Gamer Lounge router and Avast AV. With the router I do the usual steps such as stopping the boadcast of the SSID, change the default admin PW and default IP range. Wirelss key is also very strong. I used to use a 128 bit key generator but man, trying to input that long of a string of characters into some newer devices is a chore.

I use the paid version of Avast but am considering dumping it as it's up for renewal and I've head some good things about bitdefender.

We are also considering installing some IP cameras for some home security and that's what got me thinking about the strength of our network, I'm a bit nervous about IP cameras getting hacked.

I know that Win 7 has it's own firewall as does the router and apparently bitdefender provides one as well. I do like the idea of a hardware and software firewall but pretty sure using 3 would create problems? What software firewall would be better? Win7 or bitdefender?

So what do you guys do? Any tips to how I can improve my setup?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I follow the belief that if someone really wants to hack into my system, they will. So I use my router firewall and MS security essentials for AV. That's it except for restricting my wireless as much as I possibly can. Enough deterrent for the casual hacker, but if someone wants to get in or is a pro, I'm not sure how I could stop them.

Curious what you do with the cameras security though as I was thinking of getting a few. The thought of others seeing them since they are IP based never occured to me.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
I follow the belief that if someone really wants to hack into my system, they will. So I use my router firewall and MS security essentials for AV. That's it except for restricting my wireless as much as I possibly can. Enough deterrent for the casual hacker, but if someone wants to get in or is a pro, I'm not sure how I could stop them.

Curious what you do with the cameras security though as I was thinking of getting a few. The thought of others seeing them since they are IP based never occured to me.
And your exactly right about that and I feel the same way, I just want to make sure I'm doing as much as I can to make it as difficult as possible. It's not my data I'm really worried about as it's always backed up locally and a copy taken off site. But as more and more devices connect to the internet and more appliances include remote configuring, I just want things locked down.

But yes, it's the cameras in particular that I'm concerned with. We travel a fair bit and having cameras in the house that point at places other than just points of entry like living room, basement, garage etc would be really nice to have. There are many types of IP cameras available obviously but IMO, the first step is to not get the wireless variety. There are a number of models out there that are hardwired and that wiring carries both the data to and from the cameras as well as the power.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 12-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Call my SSID "Police Monitoring Van"
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without getting into to much detail on my phone. I would suggest a strong passwords on both machines and router, no excessive ports open, MAC filtering, disabled wireless administration, WPA2, separate guest subnet for simple Internet access. To Name a few.

As for the cameras, any of It camera I have seen have user and administrative passwords so just getting into the network isn't enough, they need to find the camera and break in.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I live on 3 acres where no one else is close enough to get a signal! Works like a damn
indes is offline   Reply With Quote