Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
berto9
Draft Pick

Default Video card question

Hey guys, looking for a little bit of advice.

I'm looking into purchasing a video card quickly here, and sticking with the geforce series.

My question is, is it better to go after a nice card (680 or 690), or run two 670 in SLI.... I'm fairly new to this whole SLI setup, but from what I read, it looks like the way to go?

Any input is appreciated, thanks guys.
berto9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think you should just go with a single card. If you're thinking 680 or above, that is really good - that'd be an overkill for me actually. I have an HD 6850 from the company "HIS" (released 2009?) and it has zero problems running any heavy tasks. When I say "heavy", it just includes video games running at maximum settings.
I thought about using two graphics cards but I think its just a waste of money.

As far as working with graphics software is concerned, I don't know how strong they need the graphics card to be; I've no experience. I also have no experience with overclocking.

If I had to recommend a card, I'd say go get a Raedon HD 6870 or 6970 from Memory Express. (or an nVidia equivalent). They'll be cheap and will have no problems.

Last edited by Kipperriffic; 11-22-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Kipperriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipperriffic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah from what I have seen one good card costs as much as two medium cards. They are almost equal in performance but with the one great card you have room to add a second in the future.

Here is a link that compares cards. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...ance,2932.html
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 680 on it's own will give you overall better performance than 2x670 (and be about $250 cheaper, not including having to spend another $50 on a bigger PSU) simply because of one fact:

Not all games are SLI compatible, and even some that are don't use it to full effect.

SLI isn't an "input-power = performance" technology unfortunately.

EDIT: Also, be wary of the synthetic benchmarking shown above (3DMark11). While a good comparable, it should be used as one of many when comparing cards. Especially since it is optimized to properly use SLI/Crossfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 11-23-2012 at 01:08 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
berto9
Draft Pick

Thanks for the replies,

I've decided to go with the GTX 680 FTW, should have it installed at some point today. (maybe get another one down the road at some point)

Again thanks for the help, it was appreciated fellas
berto9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great cards, I just bought the same series as well and when you turn on Cuda my editing has been lightning fast. Loves me my cuda and the thousands of Cuda cores on my GPU that do the work for me.

I had a basic video card and quad core system and a project I worked on took 14 hours to render into a final product. With the new card and new intel 8 core i7 it went down to 1 hour and 45 mins. With Cuda turned on it was done in an hour.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote