Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
jharp
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Espresso machine

I am looking for a new espresso machine as my old Saeco just crapped out. The one we had was manual and would like to get into something automatic. Does anyone have any recommendations for an automatic espresso machine, preferably one of good value (ie bang for buck)?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really like my Nespresso machine. Their machines are set up so you buy their pods from them after for 65-70 cents per shot. They have a wide selection of flavors and you can also buy some non-proprietary pods to fill yourself. I think the value in their machines is very good because they make the money from you after in selling the coffee. I think the quality of the shots you get and ease of use are great though. I'm not sure how things add up cost-wise in the end long term.

When I was researching I found a bunch of good info on this Youtube channel. They seem to give pretty honest reviews and liked the Nespresso shots produced in their review, but there's also reviews for a bunch of other machines. Seattle Coffee Gear
Stampede2TheCup is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stampede2TheCup For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
jharp
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah blah View Post
When I was researching I found a bunch of good info on this Youtube channel. They seem to give pretty honest reviews and liked the Nespresso shots produced in their review, but there's also reviews for a bunch of other machines. Seattle Coffee Gear
That YouTube channel is helpful, thank you very much.
If it helps anyone out, I was looking at Costco and found a beautiful looking machine, it is a Breville BES830XL which is semi-automatic. I did a little reading and it normally retails around $500 and Costco is selling for $299. The reviews seem to be mixed, enough so that I didn't buy it at the time but I might yet if I don't find any better, fully automatic, options.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Breville double boiler. Best bang for buck.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have the Jura ena 5. I got the 5 because of our limited counter space. It's made on average 8 shots a day for the past 4 years. Still like new. One of my better purchases.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
jharp
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I ended up buying a Bialetti Mini Express and milk island. All in all, the pair make a nice coffee and it is quick and easy. I would recommend to anyone looking for a quick morning fix. The only real downside that I wasn't expecting was the pods but I guess that is the price for convenience. Total between the two was about $250 or so.