Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #21
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rented for the Xbox 360:

The demo did not do this game justice. While it is still fairly linear, the graphics are so much more refined. The mechanics are more refined. This game definitely looks and feels better than the demo. The lock-picking is neat, but the shoot/cover thing is overused and has been done in other games much better. I read that review, and I have to disagree about the city and how it feels 'empty'. There have already been a few 'a-ha' moments just walking around and coming upon something happening. Lots of conversations, people arguing/fighting, etc.

For a game relying heavily on it's story and cut-scenes, I'm a bit disappointed by the quality of them (not graphically). The two main characters seem so stiff, and Joe especially seems to lack any expression. The lip-synching is also very poorly done. And if you have to read anything on the screen I hope you have a big one to do it from. The text is tiny....I turned on subtitles and found I am better off just cranking the volume.

The story seems compelling. Any script with 'fugetaboutit' in it usually grabs me anyway. Also, the game looks amazing. From walking down the street to zipping by on the highway, it is a visual feast. You can interact with countless objects, and a bullet hole looks and happens like a real bullet hole. Concrete flies around in shoot outs and dust settles so beautifully. The soundtrack is exceptional, and the news bits on the radio tell a bit of history. There was a bit about Stalin not being invited to divide up territory.

I'm still only 3 or 4 chapters in so take this review for what it's worth. It's certainly worth renting.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #22
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm only on chapter 3 as well, but I agree with everything written above.
It definitely doesn't have the polish and unbelievale scope/scale of Red Dead Redemption, but it's decent. I think, so far, that a 7/10 rating is probably appropriate.

Comments in the IGN review about the city being sterile and detached from the gameplay are not terribly accurate. The game is definitely mission focused, but there's lots going on in the city around you. People slipping and falling in the snow is my favorite so far.

Edit: I’m going to upgrade this to a 7.5. Really enjoying this game so far. The mission based, as opposed to open-Rockstar style world is a welcome change of pace, and lets you work on the game in manageable chunks. The world is gorgeous, particularly at night.

Last edited by sclitheroe; 08-26-2010 at 01:47 PM.
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #23
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, can't even finish it.

Story isn't worth it anyway.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 08-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm on chapter 13 right now; really enjoying it, I find the story and atmosphere to be excellent. Game looks great on PC too.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #25
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Ugh, can't even finish it.

Story isn't worth it anyway.
I've just finished playing Mafia II and I have to say that this is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played in terms of design. Unfortunately, it's also one of the most disappointing games I've ever played because all I can see is unused potential and things deleted or cut from the game because 2K bought the developers and rushed the final game to market. I'd recommend renting this one. It's far too short, had too many missions and parts of the storyline cut (originally featured 3 branching paths and 3 different endings, now it's just 1). The game is about 10 hours total and it's only 15 missions long. It looks like GTA on the surface but it's quite odd as the city is incredibly detailed and beautiful but you can't really do anything in it sandbox style as there is no free roam. You are always on a linear mission and the game is full of cutscenes. It's another game that's trying to be a movie. I do recommend playing it though. There's a lot of depth to the engine and gameplay, sadly it feels like there is no opportunity to use any of it or much of the potential was wasted. It's like it was overdesigned by the map designers and the storyline/mission guys phoned in their part of the game. The story is not very good nor does it take advantage of what is available to them. Maybe I was expecting too much "The Godfather" or "Goodfellas" in terms of level of storytelling rather than menial GTA style missions (go here, shoot this guy, drive from a to b, rinse, repeat).

I agree with Rockpapershotgun's review:

Quote:
One of the criticisms that’s been frequently levelled at Mafia II is the city. They are incorrect. The city is extraordinary. It’s a remarkable achievement, both in scale and detail. It in no way fails at being an open world. It was never intended to be an open world. Instead it was always intended to be a vivid backdrop to a narrative. It’s the narrative that fails, and it fails terribly.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...ii/#more-37295

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-28-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #26
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I can really say is thank God I didn't buy this game. I was seriously considering it. I bet the PC version looks outstanding, but other than the visuals it doesn't give you anything you really want.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 08-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #27
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm rather disappointed that it seems to be a dud of a game. I was really looking forward to it, as I still rank the first Mafia game as one of the best games I've ever played, and have finished it a few times, as it's just that fun for me. I didn't expect or want it to be another GTA, but with the length of time this has been in the works I expected a lot more out of it.

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #28
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy's Critter View Post
I'm rather disappointed that it seems to be a dud of a game. I was really looking forward to it, as I still rank the first Mafia game as one of the best games I've ever played, and have finished it a few times, as it's just that fun for me. I didn't expect or want it to be another GTA, but with the length of time this has been in the works I expected a lot more out of it.
If you liked the first Mafia, or either of the Max Payne games, I think this one is still worth the play through. I probably wouldn’t have pre-ordered based on what I’ve seen now, waiting instead to pick it up used, but I’m still enjoying it.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #29
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
If you liked the first Mafia, or either of the Max Payne games, I think this one is still worth the play through. I probably wouldn’t have pre-ordered based on what I’ve seen now, waiting instead to pick it up used, but I’m still enjoying it.
I probably will end up picking it up used. If anyone has played it on PC can you still map the driving controls to a steering wheel, as in the first one? That made the game more enjoyable for me as well.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #30
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Sounds like a "Steam sale" game to me.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy's Critter View Post
I probably will end up picking it up used. If anyone has played it on PC can you still map the driving controls to a steering wheel, as in the first one? That made the game more enjoyable for me as well.
Sadly, AFAIK no there is no steering wheel support. It's a blatant console port. When you switch weapons by pressing 1-4 on your keyboard, the icon that pops up is actually a D-Pad!

You can however, hack in steering wheel support through a lot of work. This game has forgotten it's PC roots to appeal to the console market.

Fortunately, there are a lot of dedicated and smart Mafia 1 fans but it's still kind of ridiculous the effort you need to goto to hack in steering wheel support and map everything manually.
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80322

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-29-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #32
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

the more I hear about this game the less I like the things I hear.

Not sure why they wouldn't have at least included the option on the PS3 and Xbox for a wheel, as there are many people out there (myself included) who have wheels for the consoles.

Things sure have switched up in the last few years. Used to be a lot of games were made only for the PC, or at the very least made for the PC and ported to console later. Now even though I have a PS3 I'd still rather play games on the PC as I have so much more computing power. Sadly though it seems that isn't being utilized much anymore, at least as far as most games go. Sometimes when I play games on my PS3 I will have the passing thought of how much better things could possibly have been if I was on my PC. I still enjoy the games on PS3, but sometimes it just feels like I'm missing out.

*edit* ok, little confused as to whether the consoles have wheel support or not. In googling it some links say it has it (or will have, but they are old links from way before the game was released) but I haven't found any recent links that say the consoles support wheels.

Last edited by Crispy's Critter; 08-29-2010 at 09:51 AM.