Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Computer Help

So my computer has been starting up super slow for the last month or so and it's really driving me nuts!

I've installed Avast and ran various other spyware programs and cleaned everything up but it's still starts up super slow. Defragmented as well and removed a lot of programs and files that I don't use anymore. I've also checked what programs are starting up as well and there are just the basics. What could be causing this and how do I fix it?

Thanks
RTTR

Last edited by return to the red; 08-18-2010 at 07:49 AM.
return to the red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try running CCleaner from www.piriform.com

Otherwise, depending on your current system specs, your best chance for improved performance, in order of cost are: OS re-install, RAM upgrade, OS Upgrade, CPU/Motherboard Upgrade and, Computer Upgrade
Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post

Otherwise, depending on your current system specs, your best chance for improved performance, in order of cost are: OS re-install, RAM upgrade, OS Upgrade, CPU/Motherboard Upgrade and, Computer Upgrade
I've run that along with spybot and as mentioned Avast
Old 08-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have reason to suspect it is some sort of virus/malware/spyware/adware, try MalwareBytes from www.malwarebytes.org and Hitman Pro 3.5 from http://www.surfright.nl/en. Malware Bytes is free for personal use and Hitman Pro has a 30 day trial.

Otherwise your options are probably as I listed them in my previous post. If you would like to give some specs on your system, as well as what you use your computer for, someone might be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
FlamingStuffedTiger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

How does your computer perform after startup? If it is just startup that is a problem, usually the solution is the delay or remove some of the less critical applications, especially those ones that take a long time to start. This can usually be accomplished by installing some kind of Startup Manager.

Also, just in case, are you running Windows Vista by chance?

~ Calvin & Hobbes ~
FlamingStuffedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamingStuffedTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Defragging is good, but defragging AND optimizing the files is better! Check out MyDefrag, or Auslogics Disk Defrag (both freeware) which on your system drive will move all startup files and commonly used program files to the fastest part of the hard drive.

I would also definately recommend defragging your page file, which requires a special program called PageDefrag.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just Killdisk the HD and do a fresh install of Windows.

Unless its Vista. Then you're just screwed.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingStuffedTiger View Post
How does your computer perform after startup? If it is just startup that is a problem, usually the solution is the delay or remove some of the less critical applications, especially those ones that take a long time to start. This can usually be accomplished by installing some kind of Startup Manager.

Also, just in case, are you running Windows Vista by chance?
Thanks for the reply's everyone. It's actually our computer at work and performs well after startup but it's just at startup that takes probably 10 or so minutes to get everything going.

I've got our tech guy looking at it via logmein now so i'm sure he will figure something or take care of it but I like to try and solve this stuff so that I know for myself.

Thanks again everyone
Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post

CCleaner is a joke. Removing old/unused registry entries will not have any effect on your machine's performance, other than to potentially mess things up. The registry is a binary tree structure represented via a memory-mapped file; it doesn't take any longer to get to any registry entry dependent on size. It's actually quite efficient.

Defragmenting is often a waste of time too. Check out a sample of what using these tools does for you here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/2-effec...mance-windows/

A whopping 4% increase.

Defragging your pagefile is another great myth. How do you know that performance isn't better with a fragmented pagefile, which would statistically increase the odds of a pagefile request being nearer wherever the head is currently located?

Ultimately, you should be asking yourself why you are restarting your computer so often in the first place. Use hibernation or sleep. Windows is plenty stable enough these days to go days/weeks/months without a reboot. You could probably get by rebooting only every patch Tuesday.

If you can't go that long between reboots, something else is wrong besides slow startup, and that's what you need to focus your attention on.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

goto start -> run

then type

msconfig

Goto the Startup Tab

Tell us what is listed there.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does defrag check for bad sectors? I've had problems with a slow starting laptop before cause of bad sectors on a hard drive. It was an older laptop with XP and FAT32 file system so I don't know if it's an issue with newer systems NTFS. Had to do a chkdsk to get it fixed.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
Does defrag check for bad sectors? I've had problems with a slow starting laptop before cause of bad sectors on a hard drive. It was an older laptop with XP and FAT32 file system so I don't know if it's an issue with newer systems NTFS. Had to do a chkdsk to get it fixed.
No defrag does not check for bad sectors but sometimes will not run if there are errors so you should always run chkdsk /r first.

You should convert that XP to NTFS.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote