Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:
Default High-Profile Sexual Abuse Epidemic

Figured we could use a place to centralise a lot of these allegations, since many of them are getting placed in threads about individual cases.

So far, Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, and Brett Ratner (and others?) have been named, with well known stories of Roman Polanski and Woody Allen resurfacing.

This is an issue that seems kickstarted by the #metoo movement, with both women and men in the entertainment industry coming out as victims of this deep seeded problem.

Quoting MissTeeks as a start:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Today's story is about Brett Ratner:

Six women accuse filmmaker Brett Ratner of sexual harassment or misconduct

http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...htmlstory.html

Natasha Henstridge and Olivia Munn are the two bigger names in the article.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 12-15-2017 at 01:15 PM.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dustin Hoffmann as well. I mean it's awful awful stuff and you never want to excuse this, but some people need to understand that ass slapping and talking dirty crap to women (especially below you) was probably prevalent nearly everywhere in society in 1985.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Dustin Hoffmann as well. I mean it's awful awful stuff and you never want to excuse this, but some people need to understand that ass slapping and talking dirty crap to women (especially below you) was probably prevalent nearly everywhere in society in 1985.
No it wasn't.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Jeremy Piven accused of Sexual Assault.

http://nationalpost.com/entertainmen...sexual-assault
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

What really bothers me and upsets me is, what if this isn't confined to "show business".

I am worried that this is more prevalent in society than previously thought.

I hope I am wrong or over thinking or over reacting.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What really bothers me and upsets me is, what if this isn't confined to "show business".

Its about to lay waste to the UK parliament, a list of 40 Tory MP's is circulating the UK press, Labour will be getting theirs just as clearly in a few days to weeks

I don't doubt we are in for an interesting year everywhere in every field
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

good opinion piece today on the CBC website, by Jessica Goddard.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/respo...ndal-1.4380981

"Why do we expect total self-flagellation from men in the wake of sexual assault scandals?

Even if you're doing nothing wrong, the message is you're still responsible for the behaviour of other men"

"The notion that women are fragile and vulnerable and in constant need of the protective, corrective action of men around them is counterproductive and insulting.

Every single guy out there is not responsible for the behaviour of certain criminals just because they happen to share a gender. Nor should they be asked to carry a collective guilt over the actions of people they have never met and crimes they did not know were occurring.

The assumption that the way to be an "ally" is to live every day preoccupied with defending the honour and status of women feeds into the idea that women will always be damsels in perpetual distress. That's not the way we come to recognize men and women as equals"

Last edited by GordonBlue; 11-01-2017 at 03:20 PM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 03:18 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Student athletes are still a big issue, but because its usually male on male it stays hidden.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
No it wasn't.
I'll take your word for it. I was a toddler. I'm basing it on anecdotal stories, TV and movies.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Student athletes are still a big issue, but because its usually male on male it stays hidden.
Sickens me Penn State are allowed in the NCAA even now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #11
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

"Thought by whom" though, and what exactly you mean by "this". There's lots of different numbers for unreported sexual assaults / rapes going around, some of them pretty staggering.

Borderline assaults, pressuring people (especially women) into sex etc. are probably really common. If you read the "me too" notes, groping, derogatory sexual commentary etc. are something most women have to deal with.

But I think it's safe to assume that the entertainment business is much worse than most areas in life.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
"Thought by whom" though, and what exactly you mean by "this". There's lots of different numbers for unreported sexual assaults / rapes going around, some of them pretty staggering.

Borderline assaults, pressuring people (especially women) into sex etc. are probably really common. If you read the "me too" notes, groping, derogatory sexual commentary etc. are something most women have to deal with.

But I think it's safe to assume that the entertainment business is much worse than most areas in life.
Yeah I am not sure that it is safe to assume the entertainment business is worse, as mention the #METOO movemenent highlight how wide spread it is.

I believe that if an anonymous poll was put up on this thread there would be a large number of both females and males that have been subjected to similar situations or advances as we have been reading about over the last few days/weeks.

Oh to answer "This" means any sexual advances/touching/harassment/assault.

This is a depression and horrible topic, but necessary.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #13
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
It's an interesting subject. It is easy to judge now that we are now living in (hopefully) something of a more enlightened and educated time. I kind of think if people then knew what everybody knows now, they would be more respectful in their interactions.

I think we are, or should be, better now at this.

Not speaking directly about Weinstein though as it seems his infractions occurred up until recently.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think epidemic is quite the right word to describe this.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll post the relevant part of my post from the last thread here then.

I've been reading a lot and thinking over the few days since this broke about these artists, especially older ones, and it can be hard to separate to be honest. I don't really expect artists to be models for society, we prop them up that way because we love their creative work, but artistry can often come from people with demons as well. I expect higher moral conduct from politicians and journalists moreso than entertainment stars. It is certainly sad to find out that someone you admire is a creep or worse. It's an odd feeling to deal with.

I heard about Woody Allen before I had a chance to see any of his films and now I actively don't watch them. Same with Cosby. I watched the show as a kid, but never connected with him as a figure the way an older generation would have. I had however seen a few of Polanski's films before I knew about his stuff and a couple of them are my favorites. Musicians like Jimmy Page, David Bowie, Chuck Berry, the list goes on, are all people whose work I would consider great inspirations of mine. That's an imprint on my personality that can't just be shoved aside. I can't stop listening to Led Zeppelin. I can't stop loving The Pianist as a film. Even the ending of Chinatown takes on a whole different and disturbing new meaning when you consider Polanski's allegations, and that almost makes it more compelling. Will I not watch Rush Hour? Jackie Chan isn't a rapist, but it sounds like Bret Ratner might be.

I think the larger lessons from these revelations and others recently should really be that it is not confined to the "untouchable" high society types. That it's happening in grocery stores and peoples own homes as well. I just hope people feel better coming forward and that we as a whole can support them more than has been in the past.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #16
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

British Defense Secretary resigns post for putting his hand on a female journalists knee 15 years ago (everyone expecting something else coming on him!!)
Old 11-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #17
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks like he's going to have to assemble a defense team, for what he did to the secretary.

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #18
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

James Toback has also been accused of some pretty gross behaviour.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #19
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It's an interesting subject. It is easy to judge now that we are now living in (hopefully) something of a more enlightened and educated time. I kind of think if people then knew what everybody knows now, they would be more respectful in their interactions.

I think we are, or should be, better now at this.
As a man, it's hard to know what happens behind closed doors. But attitudes around these matters have clearly changed since 1985. It was never socially acceptable to whip your dick out in front of someone, grab the ass of a colleague, or coerce a subordinate into having sex with you. On the other hand, social norms around things like putting hands on knees and making sexual jokes are obviously different now than they were back then.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #20
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are two issues at play here.

One is society in generals treatment of women. the #metoo

The 2nd is the entertainment industries people abusing positions of power. The 2nd is similar to the Catholic Church and Boy Scouts Sex Abuse scandal. People in power using those positions to commit crimes.

The answer in the case of the church and Boy Scouts and minor league sports wasn't to stop participating but instead demand transparency and change from the top down and attempt to punish both perpetrators and those who covered it up.

So the big studios need to implement standards to prevent this from happeneing and the public needs to stop watching if changes aren't made to the system.

Of course there needs to be some nuance in the severity and frequency of the events of various perpetrators on whether their actions were the accepted standards of the day (Hoffman) or Criminal (Weinstein, Spacey) etc. I don't know where that line is drawn but if we want full disclosure and to prevent it from continuing there has to be some difference in the way we treat people for their various crimes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: