Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #161
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

My question is did they know for a fact that the Bahamian official was gay? Because if I'm that guy expecting a $170,000 bribe and then these American festival organizers send a guy in his 50's to do stuff instead...my ask just doubled and I'm pissed.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #162
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finished the Hulu doc and wow....

They shouldnt send Billy to jail. They should just send him back to that Island and not let him off.

The way he screwed all those people...

The guests? Okay, they made sacrifices and had a nightmare weekend, but they'l recover, the people of that Island though? Thats really criminal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #163
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I finished the Hulu doc and wow....

They shouldnt send Billy to jail. They should just send him back to that Island and not let him off.

The way he screwed all those people...

The guests? Okay, they made sacrifices and had a nightmare weekend, but they'l recover, the people of that Island though? Thats really criminal.

There were locals that were out huge amounts of money. That lady that made the cheeses sandwiches with salad that got panned. The guy that ran the crew that set up the tents, they were out 10's of thousands of dollars.

Now IIRC there were gofundme's that popped up to help those people out as well.

The problem with stuff like this is that if it looks to good to be true, it is. If I'm seeing a trip with mega boats, mega bands, models rolling around on the beach, my first instinct is always "SCAM!"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #164
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There were locals that were out huge amounts of money. That lady that made the cheeses sandwiches with salad that got panned. The guy that ran the crew that set up the tents, they were out 10's of thousands of dollars.

Now IIRC there were gofundme's that popped up to help those people out as well.

The problem with stuff like this is that if it looks to good to be true, it is. If I'm seeing a trip with mega boats, mega bands, models rolling around on the beach, my first instinct is always "SCAM!"
What made this one different was the price tag was realistic and it had Ja-Rule promoting it, along with the promise that other big acts would be there. The models they used to promote the concert were also not no name models or stock images, but actual models promoting this actual festival.

The thing about this was that it wasn't really a classic "scam", in the sense that someone was trying to get rich with the intent of not providing a product. People here genuinely thought they could put on this festival. Also, no one actually got rich off this endeavour; they spent all the money they received. It was just an example of someone with an out of control ego, who managed to take everyone else along for the ride to the bottom.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #165
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Billy McFarland is writing a book (while in jail) about Fyre Festival and how he wants to try it again. Title of the book is Promythus: The God of Fyre.

https://www.complex.com/life/2019/05...ival-try-again
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:15 AM   #166
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Billy McFarland is writing a book (while in jail) about Fyre Festival and how he wants to try it again. Title of the book is Promythus: The God of Fyre.

If anyone signs on to help this clown again then they deserve what they get.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #167
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post

Arf arf says the psycho

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #168
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like he'll eventually pull it off.
His target market has money, a lack of attention span and are always ready for the next thing.
If he can find someone to actually pull off the execution, I don't think they'd have a hard time selling tickets.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 11:13 PM   #169
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guess who's back?!?!

https://globalnews.ca/news/9911820/f...sale-sold-out/

Billy McFarland, the fraudster creator of the infamous failed Fyre Festival, has announced he is already selling tickets to the event’s second try.

Despite there being no official date, musical line-up or even a location — save for the fact Fyre Festival II will apparently take place “in the Caribbean” — the first 100 tickets have allegedly already sold out. The tickets were priced at US$499 (more than C$675) each. The event is expected to take place at “the end of 2024,” according to the festival’s website.

McFarland served nearly four years in prison on fraud-related charges to do with the initial Fyre Festival in 2017.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:02 AM   #170
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Guess who's back?!?!

https://globalnews.ca/news/9911820/f...sale-sold-out/

Billy McFarland, the fraudster creator of the infamous failed Fyre Festival, has announced he is already selling tickets to the event’s second try.

Despite there being no official date, musical line-up or even a location — save for the fact Fyre Festival II will apparently take place “in the Caribbean” — the first 100 tickets have allegedly already sold out. The tickets were priced at US$499 (more than C$675) each. The event is expected to take place at “the end of 2024,” according to the festival’s website.

McFarland served nearly four years in prison on fraud-related charges to do with the initial Fyre Festival in 2017.
Fyre Festival 2?

Old 08-24-2023, 04:38 AM   #171
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:27 AM   #172
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Old 08-24-2023, 06:13 AM   #173
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm ready for the chaos.

But I gotta wonder, how does this guy have money, and how has he found anyone to support it? Like, who wouldn't just laugh him out of the room?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 06:28 AM   #174
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fyre 2: Electric Boogaloo
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #175
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm ready for the chaos.

But I gotta wonder, how does this guy have money, and how has he found anyone to support it? Like, who wouldn't just laugh him out of the room?
Dude is one of those snakesales people, and unfortunately people like him have a god-given talent to swindle people, regardless of their reputation. Mix it in with a decent PR team on socials, and voila, part 2.

Anybody who books this thinking it will go off without a hitch is a f'ing idiot anyways, so looking forward to seeing this sour.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:35 AM   #176
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

People 100% want to go because they know it’ll be a disaster. They can film it all, get a bunch of viewers/likes and grow their influencer profile. They want to be in on the inevitable train wreck.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2023, 09:21 AM   #177
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

As hard as it is to believe C$675 is just yolo meme money for some people.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:28 AM   #178
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he markets it as a tyre fyre, he is selling something he can deliver on, does he basically indemnify himself this time?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:03 AM   #179
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure this is going to turn into Squid Games 2.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:30 AM   #180
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

McFarland is also a sociopath. When he was out on bail for the Fyre festival thing, he committed another fraud, with the VIP Access club, where he sold fake tickets to big events and festivals. It's amazing that this guy simply cannot help himself.

Also, absolutely hilarious that he thinks he can pull off a festival in the caribbean at that price point, after failing so miserably the last time. Maybe he likes jail?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote