Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 04-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #81
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was Wideman and the Flames, I would be bringing these videos up during proceedings. No idea if it holds water, but I would argue that Henderson's injuries are cumulative to date based on his career. I also remember him getting in the way of a player in Buffalo and being bowled over really badly too, but couldn't find it (or perhaps I have it wrong and it was someone else). At any rate, they looked much more physically damaging than the Wideman incident.

I feel bad for Henderson, but I also feel bad for Wideman here. I really do not believe Wideman had any intent to hit him, and this has just been a really horrible incident all-around. Hope Henderson does recover as much of his health as possible. Good on Henderson for waiting until the season was over.

I do wonder why he is suing the Flames, however. Why the Flames and not the NHL?
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #82
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nothing about this is surprising. The dollar amount is excessive, but you never start with what you hope to get, you start well above. Asking for $10 million and settling for a fraction is better than asking for $2 million and settling for the same fraction.

Likewise, no surprise the Flames are defendants - Wideman was acting in a capacity as a rep of the team. Surprised though that the NHL itself does not appear to be named. Looking forward to reading the entire complaint to see how and why the Alberta government is named.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #83
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

NHL linesmen make between $110,000 and $235,000.

So unless he was planning to work for between 44 and 100 more years the figure of 10,500,000. is just stupid.

The Flames opening salvo should be an offer of a million bucks and Wideman effect be dammed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #84
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #85
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow. Things happen in hockey. It's fast, guys react in the moment. Knees get struck, heads get hit, but injury is rarely the intent I think. Is Wideman a saint? Course not, but that wasn't a purposeful 'attack' on his part.

Bet all the refs are sympathizing with him too. What a joke.

The Flames too, huh? Wideman effect confirmed.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-20-2017 at 03:48 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #86
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I would assume the Flames are insured for this sort of thing, but I doubt Wideman would be.
Wouldn't he be insured by the team?
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #87
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

As a Flames fan, this whole incident is one of the strangest things I've ever seen.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #88
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm surprised they aren't suing Rogers and Sportsnet West, I mean it has to be traumatizing to see the hit over and over again on TV. That must cause some mental strain. And in a few years it will be accompanied by Benny Hill music in a 10 ten biggest hits on an official recap on Christmas eve.

I mean Rogers has to be worth billions.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #89
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hm...thats interesting. So now the Government wants to pick and choose who has to pick up the tab for Universal Health Care?
No, athletes are exempt from WCB, as are a few types of industries and work. It is then up to legal matters to settle compensation, including lost time and medical aid.

Typically when you go to the doctor from something work related, they invoice WCB, who receives funds from employers through premiums.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #90
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Wow. Things happen in hockey. It's fast, guys react in the moment. Knees get struck, heads get hit, but injury is rarely intent I think. Is Wideman a saint? Course not, but that wasn't a purposeful 'attack' on his part.

Bet all the refs are sympathizing with him too. What a joke.

The Flames too, huh? Wideman effect confirmed.

yeah, no offense, but things like that don't happen in hockey. Linesman and referees aren't part of the game...

While one can argue about the amount of money being sued for and whether the organization ought to be a defendant, at the end of the day, Wideman's actions outside of the rules of the game caused it to happen.

so i get suing Wideman... i don't get 10 million (stemming from the medical issues cited) nor naming the flames organization as a defendant...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #91
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Looking forward to reading the entire complaint to see how and why the Alberta government is named.
The government is a plaintiff - they want the cost of Henderson's medical back.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #92
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

TSN Story:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-linesman-hende...lames-1.729827
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #93
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

So how does the NHL and other teams feel about this? I'm sure they don't want a precedence set where officials can go after teams for injuries incurred during a game. Will be interesting to see if Bettman comments on this.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #94
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
yeah, no offense, but things like that don't happen in hockey. Linesman and referees aren't part of the game...

While one can argue about the amount of money being sued for and whether the organization ought to be a defendant, at the end of the day, Wideman's actions outside of the rules of the game caused it to happen.

so i get suing Wideman... i don't get 10 million (stemming from the medical issues cited) nor naming the flames organization as a defendant...
Well maybe it's the leagues fault for having them on the ice. It's not like linesman need to be on the ice. They could call icing from lifeguard stands at the blue line and drop the puck their as well.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #95
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
wait, "thrown under the bus"?!

Let's be very clear here: Wideman was a lone wolf. He got nailed in the corner, got up pissed headed to the bench where he proceeded to nail Henderson.

No where do I see the Flames organization, GM, or coach... unless you're suggesting Hartley was prescient enough to forecast and uncalled cheapshot and challenge Wideman to assault a linesman after it went uncalled.
I agree with you: that's what they will and should do. The Flames had nothing to do with what he did to Henderson.

But it would've been a nightmare to publicly denounce Wideman when he was still playing games for the team. (Or could've been)
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #96
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if the Flames lose the lawsuit, will they ask for public funds to pay the settlement?

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #97
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hate scamers. Imho this has fraud written all over it.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #98
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Well maybe it's the leagues fault for having them on the ice. It's not like linesman need to be on the ice. They could call icing from lifeguard stands at the blue line and drop the puck their as well.
or why even play the games at all?

just run a simulation right?

Linesman and refs have been part of the game since their inception.

Crosschecking or otherwise assaulting officials gets you suspended or banned in every single professional sports league in the world...

Here's a better idea: Maybe Wideman shouldn't have assaulted a guy for absolutely no reason at all
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #99
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
If I was Wideman and the Flames, I would be bringing these videos up during proceedings. No idea if it holds water, but I would argue that Henderson's injuries are cumulative to date based on his career. I also remember him getting in the way of a player in Buffalo and being bowled over really badly too, but couldn't find it (or perhaps I have it wrong and it was someone else). At any rate, they looked much more physically damaging than the Wideman incident.

I feel bad for Henderson, but I also feel bad for Wideman here. I really do not believe Wideman had any intent to hit him, and this has just been a really horrible incident all-around. Hope Henderson does recover as much of his health as possible. Good on Henderson for waiting until the season was over.

I do wonder why he is suing the Flames, however. Why the Flames and not the NHL?
The Flames/Wideman will see any preexisting conditions from Henderson's medical records when they're subpoenaed. Complications like this is probably why they'll settle.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #100
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

What happens if Ken King moves the team to another city over the summer? Is the lawsuit still valid??
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote