Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2023, 06:12 PM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

https://www.choicefurniture.ca/produ...ist.html?&s=62
https://premiereofficefurniture.ca/used-desks

Those are two places I've been in the past to look at used office furniture in addition to AllSold.

One has a Teknion desk I like but it's expensive.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:17 PM   #22
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

We have the prime cables electric desk legs and I just used an Ikea coffee table for the top. We're both just working on the main floor as we have the baby right now so once I'm back in the office I'll look at a better topper.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:41 AM   #23
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't waste you money on cheap crap from Wayfair or Ikea. You definitely get what you pay for. Here are some things to consider:

Range: If you are tall or really short you want a desk that meets the BIFMA level 2 height range. (22.6" - 48.7") Typically this means getting a 3 stage base.

Controller: There are many types from a basic up/down to a 4 preset (most common) to controllers that work with apps that track your movement and adjust to your activity.

Base design: Is it a fixed length or a telescoping base. There is a trade off on these. Fixed bases tend to have a better capacity but with a telescoping base you can change the top size should you need to down the road.

Base design: T leg or C Leg: The heavier your requirements, the more likely you should go with a T leg. Especially if you have a stacked monitor set up with monitor arms.

Glides: standard glide, slide glides or wheels.

Weight capacity: This is measured with the top included. on the low side you have about 150lbs. On the high side you have over 350lbs.

Actuators: The industry standard is Linak actuators. Look for those.

Top: as was demonstrated earlier, on the cheap bases you can get hollow tops with melamine of LPL (Low pressure laminate). Look for a solid MDF top with HPL. Top should be a minimum of 1" thick.

Collision migration feature: Does the base have obstruction detection?

Speed of the base: look for a base around 1.5-1.8" per second. Anything over 2 is noticeably slow.

Electrical: look for at least 300w for a 2 leg base and over 400w for a large base with 3 legs.

Table edge: on the better desks you can either get a soft edge, knife edge or antimicrobial edges.

Integrated wire management: does the desk have wire management capabilities? i.e. cable riser, cable basket, on desk or under desk power.

Warranty: look for at least a 12 year, 3 shift warranty.

So there is food for though when you go looking for a desk. I would spend the extra money on a decent base with a local dealer that will also warranty your desk should you need it.

Some brands to consider: Herman Miller, Haworth, Steelcase, AMQ, Allsteel, Enwork, Ergocentric, ESI, Human Scale, ISE, Teknion and workrite.

All of these manufacturers have a good, better, best scenario and are represented by Office furniture dealers in town. Most of these are on their sales floors so you can check them out before you buy.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:07 AM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got my wife a nice solid wood table top from Ikea, and I had some adjustable desk legs lying around I put on. Super sturdy, and I made a keyboard tray for her as well. I got myself a chair from Allsold, which is worth checking out.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:17 AM   #25
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The easiest available and affordable option for a solid wood butcher-block top with steel reinforcement bars used to be the IKEA Gerton but unfortunately it appears to be discontinued. All their remaining options seem to be veneer on particleboard or corrugated cardboard laminate but there might be something in the kitchen counter-top section. You have to read the specs carefully to understand the construction of table tops you are getting for any set of legs.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-01-2023 at 09:19 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 09:26 AM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I use the Ikea principle. Assume everything is a piece of crap until you can verify otherwise. Works on people, too.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:53 AM   #27
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Home Depot butcher block and wall brackets.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote