Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-31-2023, 02:52 PM   #61
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
And a "CANADA: Fit in or ##### Off" decal!
Maybe that's an sly gay sex slogan.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 02:53 PM   #62
Knut

Exp:

I didn't know there was a Calgary Clothing Optional Area.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:55 PM   #63
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is he wearing boots or is that mud?
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:59 PM   #64
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Is he wearing boots or is that mud?
All he's wearing is boots.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:59 PM   #65
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 03:06 PM   #66
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least he got to vote UCP on Monday before he goes to jail.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:33 PM   #67
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
There are 2 actually.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:04 PM   #68
Guest1

Quote:
The other one is in our back yard. Kinda where the bee park is on Canyon, but down the cliff by the water. You’re out of sight from the path and road up top.
I can personally attest that the water level is too low to get our Boat patrol boats that far up the river to help him. But I’m not working today, so not sure what they did about it.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:46 PM   #69
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

First tow truck got stuck, so they had to send for a second one... LOL

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #70
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anybody here have experience with being the victim of financial crimes?

Someone in recent days scammed an elderly member of my family out of a lot of money; it wasn't quite "Nigerian Prince" levels of obvious but still pretty dumb "I'm your son/daughter in trouble, phone doesn't work, need the money now" kind of a ploy and unfortunately it worked. To effect the transfer the scammer provided a name, home address and bank account. I'm urging said family member to file a police report and hoping that given the criminal provided personal identifying information and is probably relying on shame/embarassment for the crime to go unreported, maybe there's a hope if a report actually does get filed?

Hoping to occupy my mind with feedback from the CP hivemind rather than trying to figure out how to find a Sicilian collections agent for hire in Scarborough.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:47 AM   #71
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGame View Post
Does anybody here have experience with being the victim of financial crimes?

Someone in recent days scammed an elderly member of my family out of a lot of money; it wasn't quite "Nigerian Prince" levels of obvious but still pretty dumb "I'm your son/daughter in trouble, phone doesn't work, need the money now" kind of a ploy and unfortunately it worked. To effect the transfer the scammer provided a name, home address and bank account. I'm urging said family member to file a police report and hoping that given the criminal provided personal identifying information and is probably relying on shame/embarassment for the crime to go unreported, maybe there's a hope if a report actually does get filed?

Hoping to occupy my mind with feedback from the CP hivemind rather than trying to figure out how to find a Sicilian collections agent for hire in Scarborough.
Good luck! Honestly.

I had this happen to my mother just a couple weeks ago.

She got a text 'from me' saying that I was broke and my phone doesnt work so I'm using someone else's phone, please send money, thanks!

Thankfully she was smart enough to at least check! She actually believed it, instead of even just trying to call my cell...for whatever reason, she called my office where she got my receptionist.

"Hey Locke, your mom says you're broke...you need money? You sent her a link from someone else's phone?"

- "DO NOT CLICK THAT"

Some of these scams are wild, and we all think we're too smart to buy them, but some can be pretty convincing. The authorities treat them like they're harmless but they can be very damaging.

For instance, in my line of work I deal with CRA all the time, one of their constant bitches is:

"Nobody believes its actually us!"

Well...whose fault is that? You should have been ruthless in putting down all of those CRA scams, but you let them go on for years so now nobody believes its actually you when you call them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 11:52 AM   #72
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

At the risk of outing myself to some close colleagues who may also read CP, part of what has me incandescent with rage on this is the family member who was victimized is in poor health (which contributed to the vulnerability that was exploited) and especially in light of their former professional career is so upset at realizing they've been scammed that it is causing all sorts of physical symptoms related to recent and critically serious illness. This hasn't just been a financial/conceptual crime, but a physical one.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:01 PM   #73
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At the risk of outing myself to some close colleagues who may also read CP, part of what has me incandescent with rage on this is the family member who was victimized is in poor health (which contributed to the vulnerability that was exploited) and especially in light of their former professional career is so upset at realizing they've been scammed that it is causing all sorts of physical symptoms related to recent and critically serious illness. This hasn't just been a financial/conceptual crime, but a physical one.
I watch this show called 'American Greed' and there was one episode where a famous actress Jenifer Lewis was scammed and the guy thought he'd get away with it because...since she was famous it would be an embarrassing scandal to admit she was scammed.

But woah baby....she did not quit. Watching her go to town tearing this guy's life apart was a thing of beauty.

I hate scammers.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:03 PM   #74
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How did they send the money?

Did they send them money from the bank? A Cheque? E transfer?

If its a cheque you should go to the bank and put a stop payment on it immediately.

You can also file a police report if the money is gone, and go to the bank and speak with them about the fraud. Might not be much they can do but its a start and you never know.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:58 PM   #75
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Good luck! Honestly.

I had this happen to my mother just a couple weeks ago.

She got a text 'from me' saying that I was broke and my phone doesnt work so I'm using someone else's phone, please send money, thanks!

Thankfully she was smart enough to at least check! She actually believed it, instead of even just trying to call my cell...for whatever reason, she called my office where she got my receptionist.

"Hey Locke, your mom says you're broke...you need money? You sent her a link from someone else's phone?"

- "DO NOT CLICK THAT"

Some of these scams are wild, and we all think we're too smart to buy them, but some can be pretty convincing. The authorities treat them like they're harmless but they can be very damaging.

For instance, in my line of work I deal with CRA all the time, one of their constant bitches is:

"Nobody believes its actually us!"

Well...whose fault is that? You should have been ruthless in putting down all of those CRA scams, but you let them go on for years so now nobody believes its actually you when you call them.
I received one of those texts this week - didn't hurt that it got ID'd as potential spam by my phone. The spammer was posing as my child. For fun, I replied asking them for their birthdate. Go figure, they never replied. A little disappointed as I was hoping to play their game a little longer.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:09 PM   #76
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need an army of Jim Brownings to fight back.

He's essentially Batman to scammer community.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:53 PM   #77
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
We need an army of Jim Brownings to fight back.

He's essentially Batman to scammer community.
The army of Jim Brownings is us. The worst thing that typically happens in the aftermath of a scam is that the person who got scammed is so ashamed and embarrassed they fell for it, they won't tell their friends and neighbors and family exactly what happened.

So the next time one of these losers tries to scam, their new victim hasn't heard about how it works yet.

It's trivially easy to go on the internet and look up anyone, see what their kids names are, spoof your phone number to anything you want, and scam.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:56 PM   #78
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't know either until I came across the Weaselhead one walking my dog. It is in a great spot for letting the dog go for a swim .... we still go.
Lots of scrambling to cover up when we show up. Except for the random old guy who showed up on a bike (how he biked there I have no idea, both dog and I are still scarred by that one)
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:22 PM   #79
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
The worst thing that typically happens in the aftermath of a scam is that the person who got scammed is so ashamed and embarrassed they fell for it, they won't tell their friends and neighbors and family exactly what happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
You can also file a police report if the money is gone, and go to the bank and speak with them about the fraud. Might not be much they can do but its a start and you never know.
So by way of an update, my family member/victim has filed reports with their bank and the police. The latter seemed to think there was a non-zero chance of recovering the funds. I was hopeful of that as the destination person and account are located in the GTA and not, for instance, Lagos. Despite the scam being to my mind about as obvious as a Nigerian Prince pitch I tried hard to emphasize that this was the same as being mugged in an alley and it's important they file reports promptly vs. be ashamed and write it off.

Last edited by RoadGame; 06-01-2023 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Still so angry I can't see straight.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 04:55 PM   #80
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I received one of those texts this week - didn't hurt that it got ID'd as potential spam by my phone. The spammer was posing as my child. For fun, I replied asking them for their birthdate. Go figure, they never replied. A little disappointed as I was hoping to play their game a little longer.
The downside there is that the computer that texted you now will list your number as "active" and the scammer will be able to sell it to other scammers for .005 of a cent rather than the .001 cents that the unanswered numbers go for.

Same reason you never wanted to be on the "funny email threads" back in the day, or having personal information up on Linked-In.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote