Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2023, 07:46 AM   #101
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://deadline.com/2023/01/the-las...rs-1235224124/

‘The Last Of Us’ Becomes HBO’s Second Largest Debut After ‘House Of The Dragon’ Since 2010 With 4.7M Viewers

The premiere numbers were nearly double the season two debut night for Euphoria, which recorded 2.4M last January. That series went on to average 19.5M viewers per episode in the U.S.

HBO said that Sunday night viewership typically represents 20%-40% of the show’s total gross audience per episode.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 07:52 AM   #102
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's great. Hopefully, they'll be announcing a second season pick-up soon.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:09 AM   #103
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such a great first episode.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:12 AM   #104
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
That was awesome. I hated building up his daughter's story as you know she is toast. that was pretty emotional.
I had no idea she was toast. I figured the entire series was going to be a father/daughter journey.
So a big gotcha moment for me. And as a single father of a daughter, it hits hard. Generally when watching movies/shows where a kid is in real danger, I turn them off. I don't enjoy it.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 09:30 AM   #105
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I had no idea she was toast. I figured the entire series was going to be a father/daughter journey.
So a big gotcha moment for me. And as a single father of a daughter, it hits hard. Generally when watching movies/shows where a kid is in real danger, I turn them off. I don't enjoy it.
My wife is the same way; I've never seen someone go as pale as her the first (and only) time we tried to watch Broadchurch.

She was really hyped for TLOU though, and knew what would happen since she passively watched me play the game ~10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:40 AM   #106
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's such a gut punch in the game too, especially since you actually play as Sarah at the beginning. Killing her off like that right at the start really sets the tone, and it still hits hard even if you know it happens.

Nico Parker also did a really good job IMO, but that's true for everyone. Bella Ramsey is actually the one I'm still unsure about as Ellie, but I'm sure that'll change with time.

Also want to add that some little details really made me happy, like Sarah borrowing "Curtis and Viper 2".
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:03 AM   #107
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

The opening with the guys talking about how a fungal pandemic could happen was ####ing chilling.

This show is the best.

That is all I have to say.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:19 AM   #108
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

In the game, the fungus is spread by airborne spores like mold, etc. which makes sense but it looks like they might change the vector of infection based on things I noticed in the first episode. Also, they wouldn't want the actors wearing gas masks and covering their faces all the time although that seems to work fine for the Mandalorian.

Spoiler!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:23 AM   #109
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Oh the only reason why I knew she was toast was because Bella Ramsey was the main character and she wasn't her! lol

I bought the game when it first came out but only played 10 mins of it because we had a new baby.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:02 AM   #110
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I watched it. Haven't played the game (yet), but wanted to get into it.

I thought it was good - but nothing spectacular. Seems like another zombie flick with slightly different plot devices and a local flavor (which is why I really wanted to watch in the first place).

Not sure I would give it the unanimous accolades it's getting. But happy to continue watching on and readjust my position.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #111
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wow, largest film production in Canadian history. Pretty incredible for Alberta considering how many TV shows/movies get made in Toronto and Vancouver.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 11:10 AM   #112
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

I thought it was good - but nothing spectacular. Seems like another zombie flick with slightly different plot devices and a local flavor (which is why I really wanted to watch in the first place).

Not sure I would give it the unanimous accolades it's getting. But happy to continue watching on and readjust my position.
Keeping in mind, the accolades the video games got. You said you're watching without having played the game, while many are watching with the understanding of the powerful story of the game. Not to mention, there's been one episode released.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:20 AM   #113
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if you were just coming into it blind with no background then "good but nothing spectacular" is kind of fair? I mean literally all the performances were well done, we got a good look at how this version of the zombie apocalypse is set up, but other than the big scene before the time jump, there's been no real opportunities to go "wow, what a performance". And that's fine. It's a first episode, a new audience has barely had a chance to get to know these characters.

The praise is mostly from people who are familiar with the source material who might have been concerned about how that source material would be represented and are rightly happy with how good a job they've done of translating it to the screen, which isn't really praise for the show in its own right.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 11:32 AM   #114
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

It may be a minority opinion, but I agree with this. I played the first game back in the day and was never blown away by it like others were. I think it's my inherent aversion/boredom with the zombie genre in the first place. I also know what's happening in the 2nd game and it really doesn't motivate me to play it.

That is one of the reasons why I'm getting my main enjoyment out of this show by location spotting and enjoying the filming around town last year. It's a high production budget show that will be well done and which will bring Calgary and Alberta into a lot of conversations online. I know I won't have a huge emotional connection to the plot or the characters since I didn't with the original game, but that's fine. I have other ways to get enjoyment out of it.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 02:30 PM   #115
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it. All I know of the game is there's a guy and a girl and the mycelial network that Starfleet uses in secret.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:51 PM   #116
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question: does no game spoilers also entail no talking about things from the game that have already happened in the show?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:24 PM   #117
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Question: does no game spoilers also entail no talking about things from the game that have already happened in the show?
I think it’s pretty simply just don’t spoil something that hasn’t happened in the show yet. So if it happened in the show… that’s not a spoiler, is it?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:24 PM   #118
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Since I made the thread, I can explain my intention.

I wanted to avoid the problems we saw in some of the early Game of Thrones and Walking Dead threads where people would say thing like, "I can't wait until (major character who joins the story later) shows up", or "I wonder how they'll do (certain iconic scene)?", or "people are going to love the way (certain hated character) dies".

That was the main reason for "no game spoilers".

It can get tedious for someone who isn't familiar with the existing media to need to wade through a bunch of "oh they did that exactly like the game" or "I liked/didn't like how they changed that thing from the game" posts, but I think those sorts of comparisons will die down over the next few episodes once the structure of the story in this format gets cleared up (like the issue with the airborne spores).

In my opinion, it's fine to talk about things from the game as long as they've already happened in the show, so long as that discussion doesn't lead down a road of discussing things that haven't happened yet.

Another problem that cropped up in the GOT and TWD threads were people "speculating" or "predicting" future storylines that happened to be 100% accurate. Like those threads, we're on the honour system here, but I hope people won't post game spoilers by disguising them as predictions.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:25 PM   #119
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, I think we just need to use some common sense.

I think if its happened in the show then it wouldnt constitute a 'Spoiler' however, if its something that is setting up something else thats coming maybe keep it to yourself?

For instance (and remember, I know nothing about the games) something happens in the show and you say something like:

"Oh! That was important because in the game when that happened it set up this scenario that you come to later on!"

A viewer would want to learn that organically through the process of the show.

You know, after the Game of Thrones debacle where the 'Bookreaders' were just the worst because they thought they were special because....I dont know, maybe they thought Canadian Illiteracy rates are higher than they really are?

Now we have to worry about 'Gameplayers?' Le sigh...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:48 PM   #120
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t think it’s an issue. The show seems to be following the game pretty closely and I believe a couple people brought up one change that they made and that’s what the one poster got upset about, but as far as I can tell, it’s a distinct change and not something that’s going to be “revealed” later because the first episode gives us information that contradicts it’s existence in the world and the producers have said they changed it.

Outside of that, has anyone spoiled anything? Is there anything to worry about? Or is this conversation still based off one poster having a temper tantrum?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote