Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2023, 01:08 AM   #3061
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Buffalo safety Damar Hamlin had his heartbeat restored on the field after suffering cardiac arrest during the team's game Monday night against the Bengals, and he is currently in critical condition at a Cincinnati hospital, the Bills said in a statement early Tuesday morning.

"What was most important was that it wasn't about proceeding with the game," NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent said during the conference call. "Frankly, that aspect never crossed my mind or their mind internally. We asked that [referee] Shawn [Smith] communicate with both Taylor and Coach McDermott getting the players together. Frankly, it was just about getting a pulse of where they were at that particular time."

Vincent said that there was not a discussion between him and commissioner Roger Goodell about a five-minute period for players to get warmed up and that resuming play did not cross their minds.

"The NFLPA and everyone in our community is praying for Damar Hamlin," the union said in a statement. "We have been in touch with Bills and Bengals players, and with the NFL. The only thing that matters at this moment is Damar's health and well being."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rily-suspended
Old 01-03-2023, 05:52 AM   #3062
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the amount of asshats on Twitter who will just blame this on the vaccine is mind-numbing. People are the absolute worst.

desperately hoping for some good news today.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 07:46 AM   #3063
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

My only question is why was the Buffalo sideline getting ready to resume with a bunch of stunned players and Bengal players warming up if the league didn't tell them 5 minutes to go. Not only that the coaches stalled and talked it over and walked their respective teams off the field. Seems like damage control from the league on what seems like a stupid decision to continue.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 07:52 AM   #3064
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Going to age myself, but this was very similar to the Reggie Brown incident wirh the Lions probably 25 Years ago. Still vividly remember the Lions WR Johnnie Morton running the stretcher out to the medical staff as they were doing CPR. Crazy that game continued that night vs the Jets.
Go to the 2:06 mark of this youtube clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMHaUlwqMnc
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 07:58 AM   #3065
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
My only question is why was the Buffalo sideline getting ready to resume with a bunch of stunned players and Bengal players warming up if the league didn't tell them 5 minutes to go. Not only that the coaches stalled and talked it over and walked their respective teams off the field. Seems like damage control from the league on what seems like a stupid decision to continue.
There were rumours last night that the players and coaches refused to play, and then the league came to their senses. It's appalling that they'd consider playing for even a moment.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 08:02 AM   #3066
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Going to age myself, but this was very similar to the Reggie Brown incident wirh the Lions probably 25 Years ago. Still vividly remember the Lions WR Johnnie Morton running the stretcher out to the medical staff as they were doing CPR. Crazy that game continued that night vs the Jets.
There was a different Reggie Brown scary incident from the NCAA (Aubrun vs. University of Georgia) in 2004.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:14 AM   #3067
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

I read somewhere last night that its standard protocol when there is a head/trauma injury that requires an ambulance on the field to remove an injured player, that 5 minutes is provided before the resumption of play.

So Im guessing that was implemented by the officials in a situation that was obviously very different than what the protocol was created for.

It was an unprecedented situation last night and no one really knew what to do exactly until much discussion was had. I think everyone on that field and even watching was in varying degrees of shock and it just took some time to get everyone contacted and whatnot on how to handle everything.

Anyhow they made the right call as all that matters is that young mans health and the mental effect of seeing what happened is dealt with for all those players and coaches etc.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:05 AM   #3068
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Old 01-03-2023, 10:11 AM   #3069
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
the amount of asshats on Twitter who will just blame this on the vaccine is mind-numbing. People are the absolute worst.

This might be more for the Twitter thread - but I checked the tweety this morning for updates on Damar, and all I got were a bunch of Twitter Blue mouth breathers yapping about his vaxx, instead of actual news about the player. I'll stick to the good ol CP thread.

Maybe the next business model is to charge $16 to ignore the Blue folks...
Old 01-03-2023, 10:15 AM   #3070
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
This might be more for the Twitter thread - but I checked the tweety this morning for updates on Damar, and all I got were a bunch of Twitter Blue mouth breathers yapping about his vaxx, instead of actual news about the player. I'll stick to the good ol CP thread.

Maybe the next business model is to charge $16 to ignore the Blue folks...
Those people are absolutely ####ed. Clowns.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:40 AM   #3071
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1610301585451630592
Old 01-03-2023, 11:38 AM   #3072
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

On one hand it's relieving to hear that it was a cardiac event vs something else. Hopefully with treatment and time Hamlin can recover and resume living as close to a normal life as he can. Very scary event, reminds me of when I was in high-school and a kid who was like 12 years old suffered something like this one day just playing with friends after school. Apparently was not doing anything particularly strenuous and just dropped. Kid was a AAA rep hockey player that I had officiated many games of his. Unfortunately it proved to be fatal for that poor kid likely because he wasnt surroundedby trained medical professionals when it occurred. So it does hit home.

When this happens in other sports like hockey, Basketball, or baseball, postponing the game to play later is a bit easier.

This one is tricky because it's so close to the end of the season, Football teams require more recovery time, and both teams here are very much in the playoff mix and their games next week also had playoff implications. So outright canceling the event as you can with a ski race or auto race will be difficult. There really is no good way for the NFL to handle this. Maybe they do need to push the playoff start date back a week and make this game up after week 18.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #3073
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game won't be resumed this week.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1610343772872929283
Old 01-03-2023, 11:40 AM   #3074
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Old 01-03-2023, 11:44 AM   #3075
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
On one hand it's relieving to hear that it was a cardiac event vs something else. Hopefully with treatment and time Hamlin can recover and resume living as close to a normal life as he can. Very scary event, reminds me of when I was in high-school and a kid who was like 12 years old suffered something like this one day just playing with friends after school. Apparently was not doing anything particularly strenuous and just dropped. Kid was a AAA rep hockey player that I had officiated many games of his. Unfortunately it proved to be fatal for that poor kid likely because he wasnt surroundedby trained medical professionals when it occurred. So it does hit home.

When this happens in other sports like hockey, Basketball, or baseball, postponing the game to play later is a bit easier.

This one is tricky because it's so close to the end of the season, Football teams require more recovery time, and both teams here are very much in the playoff mix and their games next week also had playoff implications. So outright canceling the event as you can with a ski race or auto race will be difficult. There really is no good way for the NFL to handle this. Maybe they do need to push the playoff start date back a week and make this game up after week 18.
This looks more and more like exactly what happened with Chris Pronger years ago when he took that shot to the chest, and what that doctor on twitter predicted last night.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1610282040544432130

He was out a few weeks and returned to play for years.

Hopefully the same outcome here.

Last edited by transplant99; 01-03-2023 at 11:48 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 11:51 AM   #3076
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

Yep, it's like nobody ever died before the COVID vaccine
Old 01-03-2023, 11:51 AM   #3077
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the commotio cordis thing still sounds most plausible to me. Hit in the wrong place at the wrong time ... just with Shazier back then, probably a freak outcome of a routine play that is uneventful in 999 of 1000 times.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 11:58 AM   #3078
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1610348530870194181
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:08 PM   #3079
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

The difference I see in the Pronger shot and this is that Pronger was moving while being taken off the ice on the stretcher you can see him move his hands, Hamlin looked in bad shape from the get go and the reports said he was not breathing on his own.

And yes the vaccine garbage is all over twitter. Myocarditis was trending this morning and all the tweets are as disgusting as you think. Why do all these anti vaccine scumbags look the same as well.

A person almost died on the field last night, and the first thing that pops into some ones head is to tweet about vaccines?
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:29 PM   #3080
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

wont be played this week... it's hard to see when it would be played.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football , gambling , red zone