Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2022, 07:56 AM   #1061
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Or he's getting off the train before it crashes.

But really, what can Trudeau do on the federal level? A lot of the staffing issues would be a provincial matter, no?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:13 AM   #1062
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doug Ford is pushing to open the doors to foreigners applying for nursing accreditation in Ontario. I still think Doug's best quality is how he can be shamed into acting to fix a problem. Demagogues these days don't have a sense of shame and humility. Allegedly there are 14000 nurses waiting at the door for this approval from the college.

It's still really stupid to continue this nursing wage freeze as critical care units are getting shut down in this province.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:19 AM   #1063
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Or he's getting off the train before it crashes.

But really, what can Trudeau do on the federal level? A lot of the staffing issues would be a provincial matter, no?
Or he's doing what he was always going to do. Flex a little to make him look like less of a lapdog.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2022, 09:27 AM   #1064
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
Doug Ford is pushing to open the doors to foreigners applying for nursing accreditation in Ontario. I still think Doug's best quality is how he can be shamed into acting to fix a problem. Demagogues these days don't have a sense of shame and humility. Allegedly there are 14000 nurses waiting at the door for this approval from the college.

It's still really stupid to continue this nursing wage freeze as critical care units are getting shut down in this province.
Those are 2 separate issues - a) hiring more new nurses and b) more money for current nurses.

For B, it is not a wage freeze and is not just for nurses. ON public sector wages are capped at 1% increases per year. (not here to debate if it is good policy or not.) Wage increases for nurses does not solve the issues of burnout, overtime, up-training (My understanding is ER & ICU nurses have special training). The government (and it's partner organizations) has given out COVID & retention bonuses to nurses (and others).

For A, fast tracking the credentials for 14,000 nurses trained in foreign countries should be top priority - they want to work in the system at the current wage. That would go a long way to solving the side issues - burnout & overtime.

Also, some of the rules seem nuts - I think the ratio of ICU nurses to ICU patients has to be 1:2. There could be 10 beds, but there is only 2 nurses, then 6 beds stay empty. Maybe consider increasing the ratio a bit?
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2022, 11:27 AM   #1065
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Those are 2 separate issues - a) hiring more new nurses and b) more money for current nurses.

For B, it is not a wage freeze and is not just for nurses. ON public sector wages are capped at 1% increases per year. (not here to debate if it is good policy or not.) Wage increases for nurses does not solve the issues of burnout, overtime, up-training (My understanding is ER & ICU nurses have special training). The government (and it's partner organizations) has given out COVID & retention bonuses to nurses (and others).

For A, fast tracking the credentials for 14,000 nurses trained in foreign countries should be top priority - they want to work in the system at the current wage. That would go a long way to solving the side issues - burnout & overtime.

Also, some of the rules seem nuts - I think the ratio of ICU nurses to ICU patients has to be 1:2. There could be 10 beds, but there is only 2 nurses, then 6 beds stay empty. Maybe consider increasing the ratio a bit?
I'm just wondering about the mechanics of fast tracking for skilled Immigrants. I would think that especially with Doctors and Nurses and Health That there's a nightmare of verification and backchecks that have to happen.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #1066
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm just wondering about the mechanics of fast tracking for skilled Immigrants. I would think that especially with Doctors and Nurses and Health That there's a nightmare of verification and backchecks that have to happen.
I don't think that the actual verification work is such a nightmare. I think a lot of the issue has to do with the ON associations and med schools not wanting to be perceived as equal to those in, say, Cameroon, Moldova, or Tajikistan. Everyone wants the Dr who went to Harvard Med, no one wants the Chiropractor who went to school in Guadalajara. It's a superiority issue.

Most universities have people dedicated to confirming degrees from foreign countries. IIRC a colleague had a Masters from an eastern European university, but U of T would only label it as equivalent to a BA in Canada. (then, of course, noted she could take 3 extra courses to qualify - $5000.)

The government and the associations could conceivably come up with a simple 2-part exam - one written, one tactical - to move this along. It's not like anyone hired today is going to start at the top in the most difficult situations.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #1067
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/cana...ions-1.6015720

Quote:
OTTAWA - The Canadian government is moving to ban the importation of restricted handguns, effective Aug. 19.
Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino and Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly announced Friday that the federal government has decided to push ahead with the importation ban without the approval of Parliament, moving to make the policy change through regulatory restrictions.
The measure will prevent "nearly all" individuals and businesses from importing handguns into Canada, the government says.
Quote:
While the details of the coming regulatory restrictions have yet to be released, Joly said she will be enacting her authority as the foreign affairs minister, which allows her to deny any export or import permit application, citing security concerns.
"Working with Marco, we came up with this idea of creating this new system of requiring permits, but meanwhile, we will deny any permits from any commercial entity or people wanting to bring handguns to Canada," Joly said. "So this is how creatively we've worked, and that's why we're talking today about an import ban."
Quote:
Joly said that the Liberals have decided to do this because when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Bill C-21, there was an "uptick" in guns being purchased in Canada, and handguns in particular.
"We want to prevent that. That is why we're announcing this import ban… We know that the vast majority of handguns in the country are imported, as there's no handgun producer in the country," Joly said.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:23 PM   #1068
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well that should help stop all black market sales....
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
TKB
Old 08-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #1069
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

lol.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1555326799361589249
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2022, 01:57 PM   #1070
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a nice troll job, to be sure. I imagine all the convoyers have steam leaking from their fetid brain pans right about now.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:14 AM   #1071
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well this is great. Is there something the federal government isn't incompetent at these days?

Quote:
As hospitals across the country struggle under the weight of major staffing shortages, an immigration backlog described by lawyers as the worst they have ever seen is leaving qualified health professionals sitting on the sidelines.

The Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario said there are roughly 26,000 nurses “ready and waiting” to work in Ontario, 14,000 of those are registered nurses. CEO Doris Grinspun says the great majority of those people are waiting for their international qualifications to get approved by the college, but thousands have already passed their exams and are waiting for their immigration status to change so they can work.

In February 2021, Sharlene Ullani applied for a permanent resident card after years spent working in Canada as a caregiver for children. Eighteen months later, the internationally trained nurse with more than seven years experience hasn't heard anything from Immigration Canada about her application status.

Online, the government estimates the processing time for new permanent residence cards is 2.6 months, or 81 days, as of Aug. 2.

"I've been sending emails two times a month and the answer is always the same: ‘You have to wait, thank you for your patience. We have this pandemic’," she told CTV National News.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/major-...ines-1.6015229
Old 08-06-2022, 11:23 AM   #1072
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Well this is great. Is there something the federal government isn't incompetent at these days?
Would you admit it if there was?
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:33 PM   #1073
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Would you admit it if there was?

I am not a fan on of the liberals but some of the money invested with Innovation Canada and SDTC I think will pay Canada dividends in future years and was a good initiative by them.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #1074
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I am not a fan on of the liberals but some of the money invested with Innovation Canada and SDTC I think will pay Canada dividends in future years and was a good initiative by them.

My wife’s startup has had way more support from the Feds than Alberta
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 08:40 PM   #1075
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Canadian Federal Politics Thread v5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
My wife’s startup has had way more support from the Feds than Alberta

Yea Alberta innovates and ERA can be .. let’s just say tighter with their money ha ha.

Last edited by Mull; 08-06-2022 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:58 PM   #1076
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Alberta startup support is really lacking in um strategy right now.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:04 PM   #1077
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really weird story. Nothing about it adds up, but the diplomatic wording is impressive.

Quote:
She was “handcuffed and savagely beaten, to the point that she had difficulty breathing, which led to her being taken to the hospital by ambulance,” the ministry said in a release dated Thursday but only made public on Friday.
What the police said :

Quote:
They alleged that when officers attempted to explain the process, the woman struck a female police officer in the face.

The officers then decided to arrest the woman “for the safety of everyone present,” according to the release. Police alleged the woman resisted arrest, bit another officer and was then tackled to the ground, where she was restrained.
Followed by :

Quote:
Police say they were called back to the same location, around an hour and a half after they first arrived, by paramedics who were treating the woman, but did not offer further details, only saying that around 10 people were present.

The Senegalese government said the charge d'affairs at the Canadian Embassy in Dakar, the Senegalese capital, was summoned to the Foreign Affairs Ministry so officials could “vigorously denounce and strongly condemn this racist and barbaric act.”
It will be interesting to see what comes of the police footage and the account of what happened in that one and a half hours. It sounds like the bailiff was just trying to obtain a statement. Anyway. You are not allowed to detain a diplomat, so now we all wade into the intricacies of whether putting her into the cruiser was detainment.

https://www.cp24.com/news/senegalese...lice-1.6017059
Old 08-07-2022, 06:40 AM   #1078
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Alberta startup support is really lacking in um strategy right now.

Over simplified - Can you show a quantitative proven reduction in greenhouse gases (and you’re backed by a big Alberta player)? here is some money.

UCP gutted AI and Innotech. I think that will hurt us. I would of liked to see more money invested in broadcasting the innotech services to the world. Maybe they are a money pit though I don’t know. I think they help keep Alberta competitive economically and environmentally
Old 08-07-2022, 06:57 AM   #1079
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post

I have a few friends who work as nurses in Ontario. The crazy thing is, they’re not adjusting 1% increase in wages, but hospitals are now offering crazy amounts of overtime to current employed nurses. If you want overtime, you’ll get it. An interesting way to spend money indeed..
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:00 AM   #1080
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
I have a few friends who work as nurses in Ontario. The crazy thing is, they’re not adjusting 1% increase in wages, but hospitals are now offering crazy amounts of overtime to current employed nurses. If you want overtime, you’ll get it. An interesting way to spend money indeed..

Hasn’t inefficient nursing staffing requiring or allowing nurses to rack up large OT been an issue for years?

I only hear it from the nurse perspective but my novice understanding is that it cost more to hire less. But maybe the man power curves aren’t so simple.