Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2022, 06:38 PM   #961
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think just in general, the first term of any leader is usually their best. The longer a leader stays in power, the more their job becomes just trying to repair mistakes and image issues. The job essentially becomes more than 50% just trying to stay in power instead of making strong policy decisions that they have to stand by.

I really wish Canadian parties adopted some kind of term limit rules. It seems to always happen that the parties let one leader run things into the ground. It's just so dumb and they all do it.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:10 PM   #962
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think just in general, the first term of any leader is usually their best. The longer a leader stays in power, the more their job becomes just trying to repair mistakes and image issues. The job essentially becomes more than 50% just trying to stay in power instead of making strong policy decisions that they have to stand by.

I really wish Canadian parties adopted some kind of term limit rules. It seems to always happen that the parties let one leader run things into the ground. It's just so dumb and they all do it.
This is actually something that I'm okay being without.

If you get a good leader, why not allow them to continue?

I think if you asked the average American the question:

"Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump or...toss the rules and let Obama continue?"

I imagine a lot of damage could have been avoided and a significant chunk of them would select allowing Obama to continue.

The rare exception are people like Putin.

Maybe something along the lines of term limits with exceptions or longer term-limits? Maybe even something like limiting the number or elections a Government can call.

Either way, thats really among the least of our problems

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:07 PM   #963
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
It baffles me how you automatically and only relate regulation with the oil industry
IMO we would not be able to afford our universal healthcare without the funds generated from the selling of our hydrocarbons.

I believe our energy industry, on a scale of one to ten, would be near the top of importance to our nation, and to the world at large.

Anyone who thinks our energy industry is going to disappear, for the sake of Climate Change, is living in fantasyland. Just imagine how many things come from our oil, and how disruptive life would be, financially and practically without it.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 08:30 PM   #964
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
IMO we would not be able to afford our universal healthcare without the funds generated from the selling of our hydrocarbons.

I believe our energy industry, on a scale of one to ten, would be near the top of importance to our nation, and to the world at large.

Anyone who thinks our energy industry is going to disappear, for the sake of Climate Change, is living in fantasyland. Just imagine how many things come from our oil, and how disruptive life would be, financially and practically without it.

And what does that have to do with regulations? The all-mighty oil industry should be exempt?
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:12 AM   #965
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
And what does that have to do with regulations? The all-mighty oil industry should be exempt?
Do you honestly believe that our energy industry isn't dealing with regulation stupidity that is creating an environment where we're dealing with 20+ years of lack of investment and development?

The world is screaming for LNG and Canada has ONE LNG terminal being built.

One.

And the Asian LNG market is extremely lucrative and has been for a long time.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2022, 01:53 PM   #966
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
OTTAWA — As the prime minister and his family kick off August with a two-week Costa Rica vacation, he leaves behind a July with more time spent in the air than he did during the entirety of last summer — including a 5,500 km flight to spend six hours at the Calgary Stampede.

Data collected from online flight tracker websites show Justin Trudeau spent all but 11 days of July aboard CANFORCE ONE, flying a total of 26,238 km across 20 flights, all within Canada.

That’s compared to 26,059 km flown between June 1 and Aug. 31, 2021 — including last summer’s G7 summit in the U.K., as well as the June 13-15 NATO summit in Belgium.
https://theprovince.com/news/canada/...4-7f6d565ba1af

Not sure if good / bad, but Trudeau sucks so pile on folks. I guess he has to get them photo ops in during the non-election campaign while his rating goes to ####.

Good thing private jets run on elephant farts.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:59 PM   #967
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm more offended that they named the plane "CANFORCE ONE."

I mean...come on guys? Really?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2022, 02:10 PM   #968
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
https://theprovince.com/news/canada/...4-7f6d565ba1af

Not sure if good / bad, but Trudeau sucks so pile on folks. I guess he has to get them photo ops in during the non-election campaign while his rating goes to ####.

Good thing private jets run on elephant farts.
Complaints about politicians travel schedules being hypocritical are 2nd only to complaints about expensing gum in stupidity.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:28 PM   #969
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Complaints about politicians travel schedules being hypocritical are 2nd only to complaints about expensing gum in stupidity.
Hey I voted, so I'm allowed to complain. And everything Trudeau does is dumb.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:03 PM   #970
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He actually locally grown grass fed beef. If you take time to research where your food comes from and make a point to buy it from farmers & ranchers that practice sustainable land management, your carbon footprint is MUCH lower.
Exactly. This is what I do, the beef i buy is raised locally. Grass fed. Winter feed is all local. Smallest carbon footprint possible.

Great for the environment and I get a fantastic product.

No, I wasn’t trying to trigger anyone. Just stating a fact.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #971
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Exactly. This is what I do, the beef i buy is raised locally. Grass fed. Winter feed is all local. Smallest carbon footprint possible.

Great for the environment and I get a fantastic product.

No, I wasn’t trying to trigger anyone. Just stating a fact.
I only eat 'Conflict Meat.' I dont want to eat a cow unless its killed at least 3 people and managed to impoverish several families in developing nations.

That way I can soothe my conscience by knowing that I'm eating a monster!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #972
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I only eat 'Conflict Meat.' I dont want to eat a cow unless its killed at least 3 people and managed to impoverish several families in developing nations.

That way I can soothe my conscience by knowing that I'm eating a monster!
Monster meat is also delicious. So you are double positive.

Hahaha
Old 08-01-2022, 03:12 PM   #973
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Monster meat is also delicious. So you are double positive.

Hahaha
It is an onerous burden but alas it is the cross I must bear.

Old 08-01-2022, 05:22 PM   #974
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Do you honestly believe that our energy industry isn't dealing with regulation stupidity that is creating an environment where we're dealing with 20+ years of lack of investment and development?

The world is screaming for LNG and Canada has ONE LNG terminal being built.

One.

And the Asian LNG market is extremely lucrative and has been for a long time.
That isn't remotely true. Asian LNG price after the 2015 slump were terrible and only started recovering late last year. That's why the fully permitted Kitimat LNG(which started out as an import terminal) and associated Pacific Trails Pipeline projects stopped construction.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:38 PM   #975
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Wow strongly disagree. Trudeau is the one imposing widespread economic carnage in the pursuit of climate change across oil and gas and agriculture, so I think it's extremely fair game for people to point out that this leader is flying around non-stop and emitting a massive carbon footprint. I'm actually quite surprised that somebody would think that him being called out on it is "stupid" due to how extreme the contradiction of his travel is to the goals he is setting out to achieve in emissions reduction. There is nothing stopping Trudeau from using Microsoft Teams and as we have seen in the Ukraine crisis it's extremely possible for politicians to communicate electronically vs. in-person. Obviously yes, politicians will need to travel more than the average person but when you're setting new mileage records it is broaching a stupidity of Marie Antoinette levels that for people to point it out is 110% fair game.

Not surprising that Canadians will somehow pretzel twist logic their way into defending it though in the spirit of team politics.

Imagine if Poilievre, bastion of financial conservatism was reported to have maxxed out Visas and enormous debt loads. You'd get the same sort of skepticism.

At some point we should expect politicians to actually practice what they preach. Pointing it out is not "stupid" at all. In fact, questioning people questioning it seems kind of stupid to me.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2022, 06:15 PM   #976
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trudeau is stuck in his Laurentian Elite mansion and only caters to the folks who live in Ottawa. He doesn't know how the rest of the provinces work, nor does he care. How can he be a PM for all of Canada if he only stays in Ottawa?

/green
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:30 PM   #977
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Trudeau is stuck in his Laurentian Elite mansion and only caters to the folks who live in Ottawa. He doesn't know how the rest of the provinces work, nor does he care. How can he be a PM for all of Canada if he only stays in Ottawa?

/green
Lol what are you even talking about? This is so far off the mark it’s tough to know where to start.

No it’s totally cool that the guy doing “all he can to fight climate change” flies the equivalent of a 5 minute flight. It should be illegal to question him about anything, good call.

Trudeau is like the Canadian equivalent of Trump in so many ways it is hilarious. He could, you know, shoot somebody on Yonge in Toronto and people would figure out a way to defend the behaviour.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
TKB
Old 08-01-2022, 06:43 PM   #978
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

CANFORCE ONE should be a Zeppelin.

Now that would be pure class.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:53 PM   #979
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If the Liberals get the boot, can a new government revert the single use plastic ban? Or is it somehow the law of the land?

One of the dumbest policies they enacted.

its wide ranging of course, but when I go to Safeway I now collect reusable bags instead of plastic bags because I forget mine, hurting the environment even more given the carbon impact of reusable manufacturing (assuming its still more vs plastic).

On grocery bags it swapped plastic for a more carbon intensive option. I mean, I know many people are better then me at remembering their bags, and it impacts other areas but still - the clean water/ocean aspect isn't an issue here despite the Liberals marketing.

https://ourworldindata.org/ocean-plastics
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:56 PM   #980
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
its wide ranging of course, but when I go to Safeway I now collect reusable bags instead of plastic bags because I forget mine, hurting the environment even more given the carbon impact of reusable manufacturing (assuming its still more vs plastic).

On grocery bags it swapped plastic for a more carbon intensive option. I mean, I know many people are better then me at remembering their bags, and it impacts other areas but still - the clean water/ocean aspect isn't an issue here despite the Liberals marketing.
It sounds like you're just too lazy to change your habits.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote