Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2022, 09:16 AM   #941
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
For sure. But not the industry as a whole. The very tiny number of consumers and farmers that operate this way doesn't make a dent in the global livestock industry's emissions.
True.

That is why we need more incentives in place to encourage locally grown food.

Seems like governments are going the opposite direction though.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:19 AM   #942
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
They’re going a lot further than our government. A permanent 30 per cent cull of livestock is no joke. These sorts of heavy-handed measures are going to be increasingly contentious.
The entire proposal is a bunch of worthless stupidity.

Amazes me how so many braindead morons get into government and actually think they can force through policies like that.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:38 AM   #943
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1553417944394342400
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:28 PM   #944
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Diane Francis not happy with Trudeau. Never thought I’d see the day.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 12:40 PM   #945
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Diane Francis: Time to toss out the pretty boy and make Erin O'Toole our prime minister
https://financialpost.com/opinion/di...prime-minister

Top notch opinion writer.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 01:01 PM   #946
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Honestly? I havent read the article, but someone could even conceive of the idea of flushing the Trudeau cabinet and have O'Toole be leader of the Liberals.

He seemed socially Liberal enough but at least with a concept of Economics.

We have to start getting our fiscal house in order with people who have a perspective of money other than "PRINT AND SPEND!!"

Otherwise the next Generation (or two) are seriously, seriously boned.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
TKB
Old 07-30-2022, 01:34 PM   #947
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Honestly? I havent read the article, but someone could even conceive of the idea of flushing the Trudeau cabinet and have O'Toole be leader of the Liberals.

He seemed socially Liberal enough but at least with a concept of Economics.

We have to start getting our fiscal house in order with people who have a perspective of money other than "PRINT AND SPEND!!"

Otherwise the next Generation (or two) are seriously, seriously boned.
Reminder the current inflation circumstances are not Canadian they are global, and conservatives haven't shown that they've had any good economic ideas for decades, beyond claiming to be responsible while blowing off that responsibility whenever given the chance.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:37 PM   #948
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Reminder the current inflation circumstances are not Canadian they are global, and conservatives haven't shown that they've had any good economic ideas for decades, beyond claiming to be responsible while blowing off that responsibility whenever given the chance.
Well yeah...I'm saying make O'Toole the leader of the Liberals.

I am also aware that inflation is Global, I'm not disputing that. We have to control what we can. We cant just shrug our shoulders and hope it solves itself.

And inflation is not the boogeyman here. National Debt, taxation, there are a lot of financial issues to sort out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-30-2022, 01:59 PM   #949
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I am also aware that inflation is Global, I'm not disputing that. We have to control what we can. We cant just shrug our shoulders and hope it solves itself.

And inflation is not the boogeyman here. National Debt, taxation, there are a lot of financial issues to sort out.
Fair enough I've decided it's my life's work to punch back every time someone say we should have conservative x because of fiscal responsibility. They arent responsible, they don't invest in bettering our society, return all of the gains of the other parties investments to private citizens, and then just complain that things suck.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 02:03 PM   #950
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Fair enough I've decided it's my life's work to punch back every time someone say we should have conservative x because of fiscal responsibility. They arent responsible, they don't invest in bettering our society, return all of the gains of the other parties investments to private citizens, and then just complain that things suck.
Le sigh...believe it or not...thats probably honourable work. Because you're right.

The reason I even suggested this is because O'Toole (specifically)seemed to have a reasonably level head in terms of fiscal policy.

I believe in Fiscal Conservatism and Social Liberalism. These things are Politically Mutually Exclusive. Thats my problem.

But again, you're correct, Conservatives have proven themselves to be idiots with money as well as Liberals.

Which is why it might be nice to get a Fiscally Conservative Liberal who wasnt wholly corrupt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 02:13 PM   #951
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Her son is the brains in the family.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 02:17 PM   #952
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s almost like there was a once-in-a-generation event that happened…

https://financialpost.com/pmn/busine...23-fiscal-year

Quote:
The federal government posted a surplus of $5.3 billion for the first two months of the 2022-23 fiscal year.

In its monthly fiscal monitor report, the Finance Department says the tally compared with a deficit of $23.8 billion for the same period of 2021-22. There were surpluses of $2.7 billion for each of April and May.

The federal government says its 2022-23 financial results continue to improve compared to the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Program expenses, excluding net actuarial losses, were down $17.9 billion, or 23.3 per cent, largely reflecting lower transfers to individuals, businesses and other levels of government.

Public debt charges rose by $1.7 billion, or 44.2 per cent, primarily driven by hot inflation and higher interest rates.

Revenue for the period was up $12.1 billion, or 20.3 per cent. Net actuarial losses were $1.7 billion for the period, compared with almost $2.6 billion a year earlier.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 02:33 PM   #953
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/pol...07544.amp.html

Quote:
The federal government posted a surplus of $5.3 billion for the first two months of the 2022-23 fiscal year.
In its monthly fiscal monitor report, the Finance Department says the tally compared with a deficit of $23.8 billion for the same period of 2021-22.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:33 PM   #954
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
It’s almost like there was a once-in-a-generation event that happened…

https://financialpost.com/pmn/busine...23-fiscal-year
And I'm not denying that. I'm not condemning the Liberal Government for the Pandemic spending, that had to happen, regardless of who was in office at the time.

Although that Pandemic election was some Grad A asshattery.

But we also have to acknowledge the downstream effects of that spending and be looking for solutions to return to normal and rectify the after-effects rather than just point the finger at the past and shrug our shoulders and say 'couldnt be helped.'

I also acknowledge that some of these after-effects are Global, but we have to look after our own house as best we can.

Old 07-30-2022, 02:34 PM   #955
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/pol...07544.amp.html

Quote:
In its monthly fiscal monitor report, the Finance Department says the tally compared with a deficit of $23.8 billion for the same period of 2021-22.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:46 PM   #956
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The bogeymen I would includer are:

1. over regulation which impedes our resource development, and entrepreneurial spirit.

2. buying votes with our money

3. lack of transparency

4. controlling major elements of the press

5. gross incompetency

5. corruption

6. etc.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 04:40 PM   #957
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
The bogeymen I would includer are:

1. over regulation which impedes our resource development, and entrepreneurial spirit.

2. buying votes with our money

3. lack of transparency

4. controlling major elements of the press

5. gross incompetency

5. corruption

6. etc.

Over regulation in who’s opinion? We have seen over and over that companies will cut corners left and right to make a buck, and then have others foot the bill for a cleanup or “recall” or other mitigation steps. I agree that there are some steps and reviews that could be simplified, but other regulations need to be strengthened and increased (particularly in the competition areas). Despite what the American Republicans would have people believe, all regulation is not bad.

Lack of transparency, lack of tracking of spending, corruption, circumventing rules (eg: low amounts to get around bid/competition rules) are all areas that improvement is sorely needed, no doubt.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:52 PM   #958
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And I'm not denying that. I'm not condemning the Liberal Government for the Pandemic spending, that had to happen, regardless of who was in office at the time.

Although that Pandemic election was some Grad A asshattery.

But we also have to acknowledge the downstream effects of that spending and be looking for solutions to return to normal and rectify the after-effects rather than just point the finger at the past and shrug our shoulders and say 'couldnt be helped.'

I also acknowledge that some of these after-effects are Global, but we have to look after our own house as best we can.

Then I don’t get your point. The spending was needed but was targeted in the wrong place? The source of the funds was wrong? The amount?

The tap has largely been turned off and the actual repercussions are just being found. I actually don’t think all of the announced spending was actually executed on, making the real situation less dire than the perceived one.

Although I am no expert, I think the economy has rebounded faster than expected and the current “recession” talk is premature. The amount of record profits yet “not good enough long term signals” is a major sign of the flaws and greed in the market.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:14 PM   #959
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Over regulation in who’s opinion? We have seen over and over that companies will cut corners left and right to make a buck, and then have others foot the bill for a cleanup or “recall” or other mitigation steps. I agree that there are some steps and reviews that could be simplified, but other regulations need to be strengthened and increased (particularly in the competition areas). Despite what the American Republicans would have people believe, all regulation is not bad.

Lack of transparency, lack of tracking of spending, corruption, circumventing rules (eg: low amounts to get around bid/competition rules) are all areas that improvement is sorely needed, no doubt.
It baffles me how people from Ontario don't understand the link between the over regulation of our energy industry, and our underfunded healthcare, which is beginning to show serious signs of collapse.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 06:32 PM   #960
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
It baffles me how people from Ontario don't understand the link between the over regulation of our energy industry, and our underfunded healthcare, which is beginning to show serious signs of collapse.

It baffles me how you automatically and only relate regulation with the oil industry