Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2020, 07:31 PM   #61
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We're here to help you man, if you have any questions or want to run your resume by any of us, let us know.

I know you guys all think I'm crazy and going through some nutty mood swings, I have so much going on a the same time in my life beyond the virus thing that I'm greatful for all of you here.

If it wasn't for the community at Calgarypuck, I would have lost it today, just because its so slow in hearing anything back or getting feedback from my applications.

We're all here to help, we'll all hopefully get through this and laugh about it in a few months.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #62
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

No "Diary" entries today, applied for 4, waiting to hear back on 32

Old 03-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #63
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm hiring .NET web developers for full-time remote positions. Shoot me over your resume if interested. Cross-posted to Indeed and other job sites, but would love to give some extra love to CP.
mdubz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdubz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #64
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just an update, I got my severance package today and with bonuses and other things its enough to get me through the next three months or so without touching my savings and with EI applied for that should get me through a lot longer with some spending decisions, so I'm not in a financial panic.

I've looked around and there's not a lot of activity happening in terms of new roles in my areas of sales and Business development on the technical side of things (IT), and recruiting roles are going to be a dry well for a while as Companies hold hiring until we know how long this is going to last.

I've decided I'm going to take a few days off from my search. I'll still look at the roles that come through on my alerts for new and interesting things.

But honestly with 45 applications out there and no real meaningful activities or responses all I'm doing is depressing the #### out of myself. So I'm going to take a break until Monday, I'm going to catch up on the sleep that I've been missing. Do some DDP Yoga, connect with friends and family on line and figure out a communications strategy and not panic. I can pay my bills for a few months of which I have very few without panic

Rent, Car, cable, Cellphone and electricity.

I just need a break from the grind of applying knowing I'm not going to hear back on a lot of these things.

I will state here, that if anyone needs a hand with their resume's or with questions around searches or search strategies or tips, that and not to sound like I'm wearing a I'm a hero T-shirt, I'm here to help, ask me anything, PM me, whatever. I'm not charging for resume reviews or cover letter strategies or search strategies. I'd also be willing to set up a free zoom account if people want to chat.

I just need to clear my head a little bit and be good to me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #65
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am not complaining at all, I am grateful to have a job in the first place.

I just had half my hours reduced. I am in building material sales, so I can't exactly say I did not see this coming and at least it was not a lay off so I am grateful for that.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:07 AM   #66
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I just had a friend of mine who was in a hybrid role with an HVAC company doing both their IT support and strategy and running their Health and Safety program.

With everything that's going on, they did layoffs of staff last week and they started laying off managers this week and he got his 2 weeks notice yesterday.

If anyone has a need for either of those skill sets let me know.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #67
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any cost controllers on here with O&G/EPC experience? I’m looking to hire somebody on contract within this month. Pm me with LinkedIn Info as well. Thanks
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #68
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So my 50% reduction in hours just turned into a temporary lay off.

Can't say I'm too upset about it, I really disliked where I was at. I want to use this time to reassess my career choices. Life is too darn short to be unhappy with what you are doing. So I'd like to maybe take a couple of courses to better myself and go from there.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #69
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone been able to get through to the EI offices? Obviously, the number of claims is skyrocketing but my wife has either gotten busy signals or has been on hold for hours at a time with no one picking up the call for the past week. She filed her report online but they asked her to call in to verify some info.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #70
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
Has anyone been able to get through to the EI offices? Obviously, the number of claims is skyrocketing but my wife has either gotten busy signals or has been on hold for hours at a time with no one picking up the call for the past week. She filed her report online but they asked her to call in to verify some info.

Yeah its a gong show, they're dealing with huge numbers, but people who don't have access to Internet or computers, and people that only have things like hard copies of their REO are trying to get help over the phone.

When the government shut down the offices because employees were calling in sick they basically created a system over load.

I tried to help a buddy fill out his EI application on line yesterday and it was a 20 minute per page load time with lots of crashes.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #71
RinkRat13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdness View Post
I'm in a similar situation to others here. Left my job in June last year to take some time off, go back to "school" (web development bootcamp lol ) and now can't find any work. I don't qualify for EI, and now I'm faced with the real possibility of cashing out my meagre RSPs (which are falling by the day) just to keep up with rent, bills, student loan, etc. Savings are still keeping me afloat for now, but I've got maybe a month tops. Competition in my industry was already fierce before the pandemic, now it feels impossible.
^%$#!

I am in exactly the same boat! No job for a year because I went back to school and now no jobs in that field either due to COVID. Can't apply for any financial help and living off of savings, for now. Don't want to cash in RRSPs but might have to.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what to do?
RinkRat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RinkRat13 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #72
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkRat13 View Post
I am in exactly the same boat! No job for a year because I went back to school and now no jobs in that field either due to COVID. Can't apply for any financial help and living off of savings, for now. Don't want to cash in RRSPs but might have to.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what to do?

Sorry to hear that.
Depending on your situation, there seem to be a number of “lower wage” roles that are out there (stocking shelves, administrative roles, security guards, etc). It might be worth considering as something to keep you afloat until the economy bounces back
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #73
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I moved to Vancouver at the beginning of February and have been looking for work since. Have had four interviews, and the last two interviews I had I was notified the company was putting hiring on hold for the time being due to the current situation, so things are getting much more difficult. Hang in the CC, something will come along for you. I appreciate your tips, I actually printed out your last thread when I started applying for jobs again. A lot of good stuff in there.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #74
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I stated that I'm taking a few days off, but every morning I get up, have my cup of coffee and look at the regular sites, and if something comes up that I'm interested in or matches, I'll throw my application in so I don't miss it.

The amount of new postings has really slowed down, I think today on Indeed there were maybe 2 that matched my skills and what I can do. Same with the other sites like Zip and Career builder.

On Monday when I get back to this I'm going back to doing industry/business specific website searches and sending in resume's blind just so that they're registered with the various HR departments. I talked to one of my recruiters today, and pretty much everything is on hold and every job is getting like thousands of applications.

I think for all of us that are looking, we're going to have to get used to the idea of a bit of a wait for any activity to pay off.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #75
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well at least my EI is approved, so thank goodness for that.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #76
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

CC, did you drop off your ROE in person or did you mail it in? My wife is still waiting on her ROE (two weeks now!). Once she gets it, the only option is mail now, right?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #77
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
CC, did you drop off your ROE in person or did you mail it in? My wife is still waiting on her ROE (two weeks now!). Once she gets it, the only option is mail now, right?

The company I was with electronically submitted it for me, and then sent me a hard copy. Yeah and if you can't get it electronically submitted then the only option right now is Mail.

Your wife should be checking on the electronic option from her former employer.

Also depending on her formal lay off date, you shouldn't be waiting for two weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #78
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Do companies still issue ROE's? I thought it was all electronic to the government now.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #79
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

We live in a small town. She was helping out a friend part-time. No urgency but a little disappointed in the business owner just the same.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #80
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I can really get people's frustrations It took like an hour to fill out my EI application. Now I'm trying to do my report for the last two weeks and the site has crashed a bunch of times to basically a blank screen with a this service is not available.

People are going to lose their minds at these website issues and not being able to go in to make sure its done.