Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2023, 05:03 PM   #5361
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

MODOK looks too goofy to be a serious threat outside of a rated R movie.

He would have to do some insanely heinous #### to shake how he looks.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:31 AM   #5362
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I rather liked the new Ant-man. Went in with super low expectations and it easily surpassed those.

Sure the story was a little weak sauce, but the Quantum Realm as a setting was amazing! Really thought that Jonathan Majors was excellent as Kang. It will be interesting how Marvel proceeds with him amid all the charges.
Old 05-26-2023, 10:58 AM   #5363
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I'm not sure how general audiences would receive MODOK as a major threat looking like he does. Patton Oswalt voiced him in a terrible claymation series that seemed to show off how serious the folks involved with the MCU take the character.

I thought it was a wasted opportunity at first, but I don't think the character would have worked as anything other than a punchline.
That Oswalt series was created before the Disney merger, so it wasn't one of those 'MCU' creations. Marvel allowed them to continue after the purchase.

Still, MODOK in Ant-Man was terrible.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 11:36 AM   #5364
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I'm not sure how general audiences would receive MODOK as a major threat looking like he does. Patton Oswalt voiced him in a terrible claymation series that seemed to show off how serious the folks involved with the MCU take the character.

I thought it was a wasted opportunity at first, but I don't think the character would have worked as anything other than a punchline.
I actually love the claymation take on MODOK as it addresses some of the ridiculousness of both comics through and inherently Ridiculous character but the portrayal is constrained from just being comic relief and captures the pain that is in Modok. Essentially he wants to be accepted by society.

In recent cartoon portrayals he has been more toward the comic relief side so the idea isn’t unprecedented however they just went to far by doubling down on the character from the claymation show without any restraint on the intelligence of Modok.

His don’t be a dick ending actually kinda of fits with original Modoks desire to belong after his disfigurement.

Modok missed in Ant-man but the outline is there for a good portrayal if they went for him being serious but absurd as opposed to just being played for a joke.

Last edited by GGG; 05-26-2023 at 11:39 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 03:55 PM   #5365
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I just watched quantumania on Disney plus...I didn't find it nearly as bad as some people are saying.

It was all a bit pointless though. Spoilers:

Spoiler!

The movie itself was pretty average. I think two major flaws with it were that the environments didn't seemed lived in at all.... Also I wasn't sold on Kang as a big bad villain. There was something too theatrical about the performance. To make him truly menacing you'd really have to go less PG with him. They also seemed to find a way, using time travel and a multiverse, to paint themselves into a corner. It seems like the weight of the multiverse somehow takes away from the sorry possibilities, instead of adding to it.
Yeah Kang has not convinced me, neither in Loki or Quantumania. If they end up changing the actor, I will not miss him either, although the character just hasn't been much so far.

Maybe they can retcon the guy who played High Evolutionary into that role, he was fantastic. (It would be a retcon totally in line with the comics, Kang was many times retconned to "actually" be this or that other villain.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:31 PM   #5366
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really enjoyed this, it's a super interesting look at behind the scenes on a large production from the actors perspective. Also Karen Gillan is ridiculously charming.

Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2023, 09:28 PM   #5367
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just watched quantumania on Disney plus...I didn't find it nearly as bad as some people are saying.

It was all a bit pointless though. Spoilers:

Spoiler!

The movie itself was pretty average. I think two major flaws with it were that the environments didn't seemed lived in at all.... Also I wasn't sold on Kang as a big bad villain. There was something too theatrical about the performance. To make him truly menacing you'd really have to go less PG with him. They also seemed to find a way, using time travel and a multiverse, to paint themselves into a corner. It seems like the weight of the multiverse somehow takes away from the sorry possibilities, instead of adding to it.
I just finished it also found myself enjoying it more than I thought considering the reviews. Definitely enjoyed it more than Dr Strange 2 and Love and Thunder. Felt like real Stan Lee zaniness to me and I was all for it. "Ant Science"

As for your spoiler quote. I thought that was the fun part about it actually. And they commented on it at the end with Scott's inner dialogue. Wondering if it mattered, or if he did the wrong thing. My main grip is about the environments too, but I thought they did alright considering they don't have a lot of reference to work with. I was hoping more of it would be like it was when he and Hope were trying to find the engine in the probability storm. More ideas like that I think would have been better than the sort of "planet" they were on.

I thought majors was great as Kang. Could feel the desperation of him to get out IMO. I guess they'll probably need to re-cast him now which is unfortunate but yeah... Pretty easy when he's already a set of variants.

Last edited by Coach; 05-29-2023 at 09:31 PM.
Coach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 11:58 PM   #5368
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't mind it either. It wasn't great, but it's definitely not the worst marvel movie imo. They're going to need to sink pretty low to beat The Eternals in my book.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 01:02 AM   #5369
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I didn't mind it either. It wasn't great, but it's definitely not the worst marvel movie imo. They're going to need to sink pretty low to beat The Eternals in my book.
Yea Quantumania was pretty stupid but at least I wasn't bored to tears like Eternals
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:06 AM   #5370
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Grading on a curve, basically considering it a made for TV movie, but I didn't think Shazam 2 was bad. kinda reminded me of a Percy Jackson film. Just not a film that should be part of a studio tentpole franchise, but they generally knew what they wanted to and did it.

Villain casting left a lot to be desired. Big name stunt casting isn't going to make your movie better if you are going to use a 75 year old lady as a physical threat.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:29 AM   #5371
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Casting for MCU Fantastic Four was potentially released. Not sure how I feel about it.

Adam Driver as Reed Richards
Margot Robbie as Sue Storm
Paul Mescal as Johnny Storm
Daveed Diggs as Ben Grimm

Don't really know enough about Mescal, but the rest seems off. Reed is supposed to be extremely even keeled. Driver is known for portraying moody characters. Sue is supposed to be a motherly type. Ben Grimm is supposed to be a grumpy old school construction worker type. They've cast an actor known for his roles in musicals.

These are just rumours, so nothing final yet.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:33 AM   #5372
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Casting for MCU Fantastic Four was potentially released. Not sure how I feel about it.

Adam Driver as Reed Richards
Margot Robbie as Sue Storm
Paul Mescal as Johnny Storm
Daveed Diggs as Ben Grimm

Don't really know enough about Mescal, but the rest seems off. Reed is supposed to be extremely even keeled. Driver is known for portraying moody characters. Sue is supposed to be a motherly type. Ben Grimm is supposed to be a grumpy old school construction worker type. They've cast an actor known for his roles in musicals.

These are just rumours, so nothing final yet.
Adam Driver? Thats pretty 'off the board.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:46 AM   #5373
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I suppose if they went more for the tortured genious angle with Reed Richards, I could see it. Driver, from what I've seen, seems to play more emotional and relationship orientated characters. Richards is supposed to be calm to the point of being detached.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #5374
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's hard to imagine the current version of marvel making Reed anything like the comics: hyper-stoic, hyper-capable and a bit of a bore. They'll probably making him a raging man-child who always needs Sue to get in him out of trouble.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #5375
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I am really surprised they didn't race or gender swap more of the four.

Margot Robbie is great, don't really have any reaction to the rest.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:12 PM   #5376
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

That casting is horrendous. Jesus.

I’d have much preferred the original rumours of John K as Reed and Jodie Comer as Sue.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:16 PM   #5377
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
There is no.. nvm.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 08:28 PM   #5378
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
There is no.. nvm.
Aha! Now I know who you are.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:58 PM   #5379
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Daveed Diggs a lot. But as the Thing? Oh well, if true happy to hear he gets a splashy role.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:07 PM   #5380
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That casting is horrendous. Jesus.

I’d have much preferred the original rumours of John K as Reed and Jodie Comer as Sue.
Yeah. Margot Robbie is just too attention grabbing. Harley Quinn was pretty much made for her, but it just didn't quite with because her performances were too focused on herself. I Tonya, however, was a perfect role for her.