Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2023, 07:24 PM   #61
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
Is he the guy that built his own and has it at the mouth of beaver river? Looks like a standard house on pontoons or something with solar panels... it's been beached kind of on the delta all winter as they completely drain the lake. Just curious because I see it every day at work and we all talk about how awesome that house is, and we've never seen another one! Kinbasket is pretty nice, but of course it doesn't fill up until late June/July, but it's nice after that until they drain it.
The owner of that Kinbasket resort is former Montreal Canadien Rick Chartraw. Smokes like a chimney.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 12:42 PM   #62
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Vulcan?

They really went all in on that Star Trek thing, but the cardboard cut outs didn't have the lasting power they were hoping for.
Ha, came for this and am happy it was here. The Star Trek thing has turned into more of a County wide push for summer recreation. Affordable lake camping, great golf course, coulee hiking, Tin Man Triathlon, Lie Low Festival..... and a great little brewery. Tourism is as good as it has been in a long time. Spock Days and the Convention are pretty popular still, but not what they once were.

Adapt or die apparently.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:05 PM   #63
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
Sylvan Lake made an intentional shift in the 2000’s to become a bedroom community for Red Deer. It has quickly sprawled and the new investments have all been big-box, cookie-cutter style developments on the outskirts, which draws people away from the lakefront and downtown. Kind of a shame when you think of the potential.
I didn't realize Sylvan Lane's summer scene died down, I practically spent every summer there in the 90s growing up, it was always packed. Kinda sad to hear what's happened to it.

We went there for the afternoon on my bday in summer 2020 during the height of Covid as a little escape and it still looked gorgeous, had been like 20 years. It was cold and rainy that day so it was dead, but apparently I'm learning that had more to do with just weather/Covid... I need to go again, I'm actually ok with it being quieter there, not waiting 30 mins for my Big Moo ice cream would be nice.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:08 PM   #64
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eastern Alberta is nice and warm. Always enjoy it. If you've never been to Dinosaur Provincial Park, GO! Make sure to book a tour!
Old 05-31-2023, 01:09 PM   #65
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I didn't realize Sylvan Lane's summer scene died down, I practically spent every summer there in the 90s growing up, it was always packed. Kinda sad to hear what's happened to it.

We went there for the afternoon on my bday in summer 2020 during the height of Covid as a little escape and it still looked gorgeous, had been like 20 years. It was cold and rainy that day so it was dead, but apparently I'm learning that had more to do with just weather/Covid... I need to go again, I'm actually ok with it being quieter there, not waiting 30 mins for my Big Moo ice cream would be nice.
I have no idea what he's talking about, it's really, really busy on the lakefront.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:29 PM   #66
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
The waterslides were pretty cool back in the day, but I literally cannot imagine why I would ever consider going to Sylvan Lake.
Fuuck those waterslides. I went maybe 10 years ago and I got stuck on one. Like, I'm not fat or anything, just big. I screeched to a halt and I was just waiting for some kid to come rocketing into my back. I had to push myself with my hands all the way down like a total gomer. Glad they closed.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:00 PM   #67
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been to Sylvan the last few years and it's always been packed by 11am every sunny day. Was it worse than that pre-covid?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:30 PM   #68
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
Is he the guy that built his own and has it at the mouth of beaver river? Looks like a standard house on pontoons or something with solar panels... it's been beached kind of on the delta all winter as they completely drain the lake. Just curious because I see it every day at work and we all talk about how awesome that house is, and we've never seen another one! Kinbasket is pretty nice, but of course it doesn't fill up until late June/July, but it's nice after that until they drain it.
No, different. If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he just built it, and I believe got grandfathered in to remain moored there.

My buddy has an actual Houseboat, bought in the Okanagan and trucked up around the #5 to Valemount to avoid the avy tunnels.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:19 PM   #69
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Fuuck those waterslides. I went maybe 10 years ago and I got stuck on one. Like, I'm not fat or anything, just big. I screeched to a halt and I was just waiting for some kid to come rocketing into my back. I had to push myself with my hands all the way down like a total gomer. Glad they closed.
I’ve never me a person who sucks at water sliding before.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 10:29 PM   #70
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You gotta watch more Alfonso Ribiera on “Americas Funniest”. Maybe our local CP buddy here “won” the grand prize award!!? Heh heh….

(I swear some men’s swimsuits have anti-slide material, and some kids/women’s have auto-mach3-speed built in. It’s not fair)
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:04 PM   #71
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
If you've never been to Dinosaur Provincial Park, GO!
Disagree. It sucks. Not worth it. Keep going west instead.

(This place is awesome with kids, just set them loose on the hoodoos, then swim in the river after)
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:07 PM   #72
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I was having a conversation with some friends recently about the "decline" in popularity of some of Alberta's favorite vacation towns.

A few of us had recently visited places like Sylvan Lake in recent years and Invermere/Radium, BC etc.

These places used to be very very popular with Albertan's and would be happening all summer long with action.

Recent visits over the years is showing that they are not as popular as they once were.

Any locals here on CP have any insights in a broad sense? I know factors like Covid, inflation etc but this decline predates those things.

I know a lot of people bought vacation homes in places like Kelowna/Penticton and after the financial crisis people bought places in Arizona, Vegas and other places in the US
Radium/Invermere area seems to still be busy everytime I’m out there. Judging by hotel prices there must be demand.

Sylvan is still a gongshow down by the lake.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:18 AM   #73
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Radium/Invermere area seems to still be busy everytime I’m out there. Judging by hotel prices there must be demand.

Sylvan is still a gongshow down by the lake.
Sylvan seems like a giant Sicome to me. Lots of chicks with leg bruises and faded tattoos, and bros with big muscles and too much aggression.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 08:37 AM   #74
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You too could have the best summer of your life - from 1990
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274917/
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:43 AM   #75
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socktape View Post
You too could have the best summer of your life - from 1990
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274917/

LOL. Full movie on Youtube.

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 11:59 AM   #76
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
LOL. Full movie on Youtube.

I randomly skipped ahead and the first line I hear is "why'd you force me come to this hole"... Sums it up for me.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 01:54 PM   #77
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Somehow managed to cut a finger going down a slide when I was at WEM waterpark in April.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:15 PM   #78
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sylvan seems like a giant Sicome to me. Lots of chicks with leg bruises and faded tattoos, and bros with big muscles and too much aggression.
You need to go the “locals only” area.

But I tell ya what, if you like people watching (I ####ing love it) Sylvan is heaven

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:26 PM   #79
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote