Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2023, 04:08 PM   #701
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The best grossing movies in Japan in any given year usually pull in around $100M US -- probably a good expectation for this.
Yeah, I just dont know what the Japanese perspective of Mario really is.

If he is the avatar that their ancestors designed to sucker, screw and bilk the filthy stupid Westerners or if he's like some sort of strange national hero destined to one day rule all of Japan.

I just dont know.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:16 PM   #702
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The highest grossing movie in Japan ever came out in 2020, an R-rated animation "Demon Slayer the Movie: Mugen Train" @ $300M. 2nd place is "Spirited Away (2001)" @ $240M. It'll be interesting to see how Mario does in comparison and if the japanese consider it one of their own or just another american product.

E: I have no clue about the demon slayer movie and it's on my list of movies to watch now.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:19 PM   #703
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, I just dont know what the Japanese perspective of Mario really is.

If he is the avatar that their ancestors designed to sucker, screw and bilk the filthy stupid Westerners or if he's like some sort of strange national hero destined to one day rule all of Japan.

I just dont know.
I mean PM Abe Shinzo ejected from a green warp pipe dressed as Mario at the Rio closing ceremonies to announce the next games. To not answer your question.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2023, 04:23 PM   #704
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I mean PM Abe Shinzo ejected from a green warp pipe dressed as Mario at the Rio closing ceremonies to announce the next games. To not answer your question.
Thanks...for not answering my question.

Is he a revered National Hero or some kind of insidious National 'inside joke' on the rest of the world!?!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:07 PM   #705
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mario Movie is a bit of a dud in Japan, only $14M on opening weekend so it's hard to imagine it doing better than $20-30M total, respectable but far from remarkable.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...38593/weekend/
Old 05-04-2023, 01:18 PM   #706
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Mario Movie is a bit of a dud in Japan, only $14M on opening weekend so it's hard to imagine it doing better than $20-30M total, respectable but far from remarkable.

You're looking at it too hard from a North American box office perspective. It's the 11th biggest opening weekend of all time for a movie in Japan.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 01:39 PM   #707
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Even if it only did $14 million, that would still put it on pace to break $20 million by the end of the week there.

Mario just broke a billion and still pulling in big numbers on the weekends. My guess is that it will end up at least top 8 all time. Pretty impressive on a $100 million budget. Advertisement costs looked somewhat high, but this movie is printing money right now.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:49 PM   #708
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You're looking at it too hard from a North American box office perspective. It's the 11th biggest opening weekend of all time for a movie in Japan.

Can you share? I can't find these numbers.

Unless a films a big hit, it usually makes 1/4-1/2 of it's money in the first weekend. Maybe japan has a culture where this can find the legs to get to $100M, which is the typical high water mark for a hit movie in japan.

Last edited by Matata; 05-04-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:16 PM   #709
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can you share? I can't find these numbers.

Unless a films a big hit, it usually makes 1/4-1/2 of it's money in the first weekend. Maybe japan has a culture where this can find the legs to get to $100M, which is the typical high water mark for a hit movie in japan.
Found it here:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...y-opening-ever

Movies typically play with much longer legs in Japan as well -- a $14 M opening weekend there is probably good for a $100M overall, which is very strong for Japan, especially for a Hollywood movie.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 06:03 PM   #710
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Found it here:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...y-opening-ever

Movies typically play with much longer legs in Japan as well -- a $14 M opening weekend there is probably good for a $100M overall, which is very strong for Japan, especially for a Hollywood movie.

My company only has Japan data back to 2007, but the 4 movies that did a better opening weekend all hit above 100M so I'd say it has a good chance. Funnily enough, the all time best movie we have data for (Frozen) only did 7.5 M opening weekend but ended up just shy of 250M.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:12 AM   #711
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Pretty big drop off for Mario Bros this weekend. Part of that could be due to competition from GotG3 though.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:30 AM   #712
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This would be a huge win for DC!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1659519054082715649
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:47 AM   #713
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Across the Spider-Verse pulls in a huge $120M on opening weekend -- the first movie in that series only did $35M opening weekend and $190M total. Huge growth and obvious to see how it grew largely off of word-of-mouth after theatre release. That's the second best opener of the year behind only Mario, and ahead of MCU comic book films GotG 3 and Ant-Man.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #714
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Across the Spider-Verse pulls in a huge $120M on opening weekend -- the first movie in that series only did $35M opening weekend and $190M total. Huge growth and obvious to see how it grew largely off of word-of-mouth after theatre release. That's the second best opener of the year behind only Mario, and ahead of MCU comic book films GotG 3 and Ant-Man.
INTSV was an unknown quantity going head to head with an established Marvel franchise that already had a good Spiderman character, so it started slow and grew.

ATSV is going to preform like a normal marvel movie +/- 2.5 x opening. Should land at a very respectable $400M+/-, nice growth from the first movie, but I think the $35M opening to $190 total doesn't really play into the projections for this one going forward. Far from home and The Batman are probably good points of comparison based on this weekend.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:56 PM   #715
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope spiderman never goes back to Disney. The mouse just sucks.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:20 PM   #716
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I hope spiderman never goes back to Disney. The mouse just sucks.
The revitalization of Spider-Man was the mouse unless you hate the most recent trilogy.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 06:50 AM   #717
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spiderman came from phase 3 MCU, back when it was run by competent film makers and disney was happy to let it run its course. Phase 4 MCU has the mouses dirty finger prints all over it.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:57 AM   #718
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zero chance Sony ever lets Spider-Man go away unless Disney pays a fortune for it. That franchise is a golden goose for them.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:26 AM   #719
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Zero chance Sony ever lets Spider-Man go away unless Disney pays a fortune for it. That franchise is a golden goose for them.
Sony was fairly smart, allowing the Marvel tentpoles to advertise Spiderman but also making the Spiderman universe independent of the MCU.

Even the "not so successful" side projects like Venom 2 made a load of cash. Morbius, which was seen as a huge failure, still probably broke even with a take of $167 million plus streaming. It only had a budget of $75-83 million, which is low by superhero standards.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:28 AM   #720
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spiderman came from phase 3 MCU, back when it was run by competent film makers and disney was happy to let it run its course. Phase 4 MCU has the mouses dirty finger prints all over it.
There is no evidence to support that Feige in phase 3 has any more or less independence than in phase 4. No Way Home was the biggest movie in phase 4.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: