Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2022, 07:26 PM   #2041
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

My bigger gripe really is with replay rules.

On the catch, the side judge made a great call at speed, becuase it took 8 camera angles woven together and 7 minutes of real time to see that the ball moved literally inches in Metcalf's hand.

But a more questionable and significant play that didn't pass the live eye test, is swept away after 5 seconds because it was ruled forward progress...note, not becuaee the whistle blew because it didn't, but the opinion from one official that forward progress was stopped. Again, the ref analyst and color guy didn't agree with that call bieng so quick...so why can't that be reviewed on replay, especially since the whistle hasn't blown?

Last edited by browna; 11-27-2022 at 07:31 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:27 PM   #2042
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, it's not like the Raiders have never got a bad call against. Even in this game there were a couple

Maybe don't allow an 86 yard run for a TD in OT
Old 11-27-2022, 07:30 PM   #2043
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yep, it's not like the Raiders have never got a bad call against. Even in this game there were a couple

Maybe don't allow an 86 yard run for a TD in OT
If we want to play that petty game, if the fumble stood it would've never gotten to OT.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:32 PM   #2044
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyway, this current game is pretty wild and a lot of fun.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:11 PM   #2045
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Again, no it's not. It doesn't have anywhere near the same impact. If it happens in the playoffs in overtime, sure, but then everyone is up in arms as they were for Rams / Saints. Even there it's one of seven games instead of one of one.

And Rube's take is one you always hear - they should have just overcome the call, or taken it out of the refs' hands. That's a really, really stupid take. It's not really surprising to hear it from Kelce, who doesn't have his position for his intellect. When the referees ruin the game it does not suddenly become incumbent upon the team they cheated to go the extra make their egregious error moot. The result of the game is invalidated. And in the NFL it is far too common for the result to be invalidated in this way. I'd be fine if they were minor errors but all too often, it's very, very obviously the wrong call - the NBA is the closest comparable in terms of how random it is but at least there, it's not determining the outcome of the game unless it's a pattern that continues through multiple quarters of basketball. It's not one call.

EDIT: I mean, you look at two other sports where calls in high leverage moments can legitimately destroy a sporting match - baseball and tennis - and even those bad calls are usually not as consequential. And when they were, the officials making them were raked over the coals. The umpire scorecards that are posted after literally every MLB game are gold, and they're now basically unnecessary because both of those sports have used all the technology available to them to almost fully eliminate the impact of incompetence by officials.
There are approximately 100-120 plays in a football game. You're telling me one call has more impact than all the others combined?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #2046
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm telling you one call can make all of those plays meaningless if that one call directly results in the wrong team winning.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:19 PM   #2047
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm telling you one call can make all of those plays meaningless if that one call directly results in the wrong team winning.
That makes zero sense. By which metric did the wrong team win?

What do you think the historical winning percentage of teams who give up 250+ rushing yards per game?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 08:20 PM   #2048
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Btw, I never want to be accused of being a Raiders hater again after this
Old 11-27-2022, 08:25 PM   #2049
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Collinsworth needs to talk less. A lot less.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:08 PM   #2050
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Who had Jordan Love coming out of nowhere to do that? Had the Packers taken Hurts instead who knows where he'd be today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 09:12 PM   #2051
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Hurts covered in Vaseline? He’s just impossible to tackle.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:20 PM   #2052
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sirianni just screams coach of a Philly team.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:46 PM   #2053
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
If we want to play that petty game, if the fumble stood it would've never gotten to OT.
come on now, there are calls on both sites that could have been a regulation win either way...like every other close game in the history of sports.

Raiders made the big play in OT
Old 11-28-2022, 02:24 AM   #2054
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
come on now, there are calls on both sites that could have been a regulation win either way...like every other close game in the history of sports.

Raiders made the big play in OT
Blows my mind that anyone could think the Raiders didn't deserve the win. Outgained Seattle 576-372, won the time of possession battle, had more first downs, higher yards per play, etc. The "right" team won.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 08:03 AM   #2055
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

just curious, as the Raiders didnt pick up the 5th year option on their only decent first round pick in years, can they still franchise him or does he go to free agency. over 300 yards from scrimmage. wow
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:06 AM   #2056
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
That makes zero sense. By which metric did the wrong team win?
If the refs had not made an obviously wrong call, the team that won would have lost, more or less entirely without question. This isn't complicated. The outcome wasn't just influenced by a bad call, it was dictated by that bad call.

Your logic would entail that the right thing to do is to have the referees make bad calls in favour of whichever team played better based on the stats to ensure that that team winds up with the win. That's idiotic.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:12 AM   #2057
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

i am no Seattle fan but i do feel that was a catch, much like i feel like the Hunter Henry one was a catch. the NFL rules are so complex and ridicolous.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:34 AM   #2058
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Seahawks do have 4 of their final 5 games at home. They have 2 winnable ones coming up against the Rams and Panthers. Than a tough stretch vs San Fran, at K.C., and home to the Jets before hosting the Rams. So going 3-3 in that stretch is possible. It's pretty much them, the Giants, and Commanders battling for the last two spots in the NFC unless the Lions can win out or at least 5 of 6 to get into the mix. I guess the 49ers could be in that mix, but I think they're closer to Dallas, Minnesota, and Philly myself.

It's too bad they didn't flex the Dolphins and 49'ers to Sunday night as that game features the hottest offence going against the hottest defence.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:13 AM   #2059
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
just curious, as the Raiders didnt pick up the 5th year option on their only decent first round pick in years, can they still franchise him or does he go to free agency. over 300 yards from scrimmage. wow
I expect they try to work out an extension first as he's still only 24 years old. If they can't get a deal done I would imagine they may franchise him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:18 AM   #2060
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDaniels and Ziegler are Patriots guys, I would expect they let him walk. He's had a great year, but also contract year risk and all that.

Tags
football , gambling , red zone