Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #2021
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just blatantly rigged. And this seems to happen basically every time I play close attention. It's pathetic. This is not even a sport.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:25 PM   #2022
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what I just watched in that Niners/Saints game. Yikes...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #2023
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Shades of Bo Jackson there! I'm sure the NFL set that up..
Old 11-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #2024
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh wow, Raiders! Great way to finish off the afternoon games
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:37 PM   #2025
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

How's that refs fault? Just curious? Lol

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:40 PM   #2026
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
How's that refs fault? Just curious? Lol
Jacobs fumbled with about 3 minutes left with the Raiders down 7 on the Seahawks' 10 with a clear Seattle recovery. Basically, game over. The refs assumed his knee was down and blew the whistle. When Seattle threw the challenge flag they decided that instead of calling his knee down they called forward progress, which they absolutely did not as it would be a completely ridiculous call given how fast the play happened. They were embarrassed that they'd gotten a call wrong and didn't want it reviewed, so they made it impossible to review. As a result the wrong team won the football game.

There is no reason to watch this sport and I'm done again. At this point even if my team won the Super Bowl it would be meaningless to me, this entire league is just... fake.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 05:42 PM   #2027
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The sneaky part is the refs getting it to overtime to rig the game in favour of the 3 win Raiders. Classic Goodell
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 05:43 PM   #2028
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Oh wow, Raiders! Great way to finish off the afternoon games
Seahawks had two chances to win, end of regulation and OT but the Raiders D stepped up.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:44 PM   #2029
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
The sneaky part is the refs getting it to overtime to rig the game in favour of the 3 win Raiders. Classic Goodell
I mean it's not intentional, it's totally random incompetence week to week. But that makes very little difference from a fan perspective. As I said, they might as well just do the coin toss and walk off the field for all the integrity the results have.

If individual wins and losses in your league are this important (because it's a 17 game season), and the refs making bad calls, especially at bad times, can easily decide the outcome, and this happens more often than a couple times a season, your sport is fundamentally broken. And a broken sport is a waste of time and energy to watch.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:58 PM   #2030
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Well it a sport that refuses to use technology.

They have the technology to determine how accurate Tucker kicks but still spot the ball using old men.

NHL is the same.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:02 PM   #2031
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I mean it's not intentional, it's totally random incompetence week to week. But that makes very little difference from a fan perspective. As I said, they might as well just do the coin toss and walk off the field for all the integrity the results have.

If individual wins and losses in your league are this important (because it's a 17 game season), and the refs making bad calls, especially at bad times, can easily decide the outcome, and this happens more often than a couple times a season, your sport is fundamentally broken. And a broken sport is a waste of time and energy to watch.
Went back and watched, and there would be 40% less fumbles if the second a runner or receiver gets hit, forward progress is called like that. It was a chinsy and lazy call, especially since it can’t be reviewed.

Color guy Archuleta and Sterator the ref analyst said it was a very quick forward progress call if it was one at all…but it was, so just dismissed.

Ironic that three plays later with the Metcalf catch, it takes 5 minutes to review because the ball moved about 1/25 a rotation when he rolled over after catching the ball with his hands under it, and Gumbel says how important a call it is in the time of the game so they need to put all resources to it. The more important play that was even more critical to the outcome, doesn’t get a snif of review.

Seattle needed that one and the refs did a pretty big part in pulling that away.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:02 PM   #2032
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHL's randomness is a lot less consequential and the problems with NHL refereeing are at least more predictable. I don't like game management any more than anyone else, but there is a predictability to it - you've got 4 straight power plays, you're probably getting the next call going against you. Yes, they had too many men on the ice, but if no one involved themselves in the play they'll let it go. It's like an unwritten rulebook.

If the refs in an NHL game make a terrible high sticking call with 5 minutes left in a tied 3rd period, 70+ percent of the time it won't impact the outcome of the game because the PP won't score... and if it does, it's only 1 of 82. It's far, far less impactful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Color guy Archuleta and Sterator the ref analyst said it was a very quick forward progress call if it was one at all…but it was, so just dismissed.
away.
The abject cowardice of commentators in dealing with these incidents makes them complicit in the whole problem. Yeah, they'll mention it, but they'll drive right past it as soon as possible. It's always been that way.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:05 PM   #2033
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Corsi ready to go full January 6th on the NFL about this. Live your truth
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 06:09 PM   #2034
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories...les-first-loss

Quote:
"I cannot stand people blaming referees," Kelce said. "We had so many opportunities to win that football game that we didn't take care of... There's a feeling now (about referees) and I think it's because of replay and the ability to slow things down in High Definition... Officials ain't gonna be perfect. They won't make every call and the reality is you have to go play the game that's called. 'That was a facemask on Dallas Goedert!' No, it wasn't! You wanna know why? 'Cause they didn't throw the goddamn flag!"

Kelce called it "a loser's mentality" to put their loss onto somebody else.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 06:11 PM   #2035
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Seahawks allowing nearly 300 yards on the ground was probably a bigger factor in the loss than one bad call, but maybe that's just me.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:13 PM   #2036
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I mean Goodell harming the Raiders draft position is screwing them in certain way.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:51 PM   #2037
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the same as in the NHL when the ref blows the whistle because he thinks the goalie has it...forward progress is a judgement call.

Raiders have played 10 one score games this season
Old 11-27-2022, 07:05 PM   #2038
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It's the same as in the NHL when the ref blows the whistle because he thinks the goalie has it...forward progress is a judgement call.
Again, no it's not. It doesn't have anywhere near the same impact. If it happens in the playoffs in overtime, sure, but then everyone is up in arms as they were for Rams / Saints. Even there it's one of seven games instead of one of one.

And Rube's take is one you always hear - they should have just overcome the call, or taken it out of the refs' hands. That's a really, really stupid take. It's not really surprising to hear it from Kelce, who doesn't have his position for his intellect. When the referees ruin the game it does not suddenly become incumbent upon the team they cheated to go the extra make their egregious error moot. The result of the game is invalidated. And in the NFL it is far too common for the result to be invalidated in this way. I'd be fine if they were minor errors but all too often, it's very, very obviously the wrong call - the NBA is the closest comparable in terms of how random it is but at least there, it's not determining the outcome of the game unless it's a pattern that continues through multiple quarters of basketball. It's not one call.

EDIT: I mean, you look at two other sports where calls in high leverage moments can legitimately destroy a sporting match - baseball and tennis - and even those bad calls are usually not as consequential. And when they were, the officials making them were raked over the coals. The umpire scorecards that are posted after literally every MLB game are gold, and they're now basically unnecessary because both of those sports have used all the technology available to them to almost fully eliminate the impact of incompetence by officials.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 11-27-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:12 PM   #2039
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jalen Hurts; 7 rushes for 103 after the 1st quarter. On pace for 412. Lol

Last edited by Drake; 11-27-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:13 PM   #2040
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh. Read this and ask me why I would shed a tear for the Seahawks. The game has been rigged against the Raiders for decades.

https://theethicalskeptic.com/tag/nfl-officiating/
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:

Tags
football , gambling , red zone