Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2023, 04:26 PM   #221
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
There has to be a mass exodus out of Gaza right now you would think.
To where?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:27 PM   #222
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
There has to be a mass exodus out of Gaza right now you would think.
Well its not like they're going to bomb the hell out of it, its still largely a residential area for civilians as far as I understand.

But...the Gaza Strip is right on the coast...park a few Warships in the harbour and...folks are going to think twice before causing a ruckus.

That said, this is a fight I wouldnt want to get in the middle of, but maybe...this can calm tensions until cooler heads can prevail?

But when it comes down to Palestinians and Israelis...I dont think there are any 'cool heads.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:30 PM   #223
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol.

Hamas: "Bringing in the USS Gerald R. Ford doesnt scare us!"

USA: "BS. It will."

Uh...and I'm far from a military expert but per my understanding Aircraft Carriers dont tend to sail alone...they usually have a significant support fleet?

Either way...you know what'll ruin your day real fast? Fighter Jets.
I mean.... US fighter jets vs Israeli fighter jets. Why does Hamas care what flag is on the side of the F35s bombing them?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:35 PM   #224
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol.

Hamas: "Bringing in the USS Gerald R. Ford doesnt scare us!"

USA: "BS. It will."

Uh...and I'm far from a military expert but per my understanding Aircraft Carriers dont tend to sail alone...they usually have a significant support fleet?

Either way...you know what'll ruin your day real fast? Fighter Jets.
Indeed they do, a cruiser or two, three or four destroyers and likely a sub or two nearby, if needed, enough firepower to make it a bad day for the whole middle east.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:39 PM   #225
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

A floating city with a support fleet of the meanest war tech in world showing up on your doorstep doesn't scare you Hamas? Okay.

I'm probably talking out my ass a bit here but this flare up feels like the rules are different this time. The meat shield isn't going to work. If Syria. Lebanon want to to kick in against Israel, you should at least expect some of Israel's friends to show up. The Gerald R. Ford is the ultimate expression of " F*** around and find out".
Old 10-08-2023, 04:42 PM   #226
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to think at some point Israel needs to eliminate the Hezbollah threat from south Lebanon and that Israeli leadership is seriously considering the now v later question.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:01 PM   #227
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
To where?
Maldives? Switzerland? Canada?
Old 10-08-2023, 05:20 PM   #228
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poland is sending 200 soldiers to Israel to evacuate their citizens. Speculation is that Polish citizens may have been taken hostage and pulled into Gaza.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1711157145863868626

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-08-2023 at 05:23 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:22 PM   #229
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
A floating city with a support fleet of the meanest war tech in world showing up on your doorstep doesn't scare you Hamas? Okay.

I'm probably talking out my ass a bit here but this flare up feels like the rules are different this time. The meat shield isn't going to work. If Syria. Lebanon want to to kick in against Israel, you should at least expect some of Israel's friends to show up. The Gerald R. Ford is the ultimate expression of " F*** around and find out".
You're making the assumption that Hamas cares anything for its own civilians. Hamas, economically, is funded by external powers, so they don't even need their own people to produce funds or weapons for them.

Hamas has purposely imbedded themselves, as much as possible, amongst civilian targets. So they know that they will survive any kind of military operation.

Israel should switch up their strategy. The current strategy of a large strike followed by breathing room for Hamas to restock isn't working. Israel would be much better off never calling a cease fire. Instead of hitting Hamas all at once, take a prolonged strategy. Anytime an Hamas member goes out in public, they strike. No more letting Hamas regroup and restock.

The issue would be that external powers have always stepped in to stop Israel. As bad as this massacre has been, the international community may have forgotten all about it, if Israel is hitting a Hamas member a year from now.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:24 PM   #230
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Poland is sending 200 soldiers to Israel to evacuate their citizens. Speculation is that Polish citizens may have been taken hostage.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1711157145863868626
This is crazy. Is Poland going to send troops into Gaza? This could just be for moral support to evacuate citizens?
Old 10-08-2023, 05:29 PM   #231
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Maldives? Switzerland? Canada?
Lol, Canada it is
Old 10-08-2023, 05:36 PM   #232
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know nothing of ordinance. Would civilians have any idea these rocket systems are in / on their apartments? I would guess at this point if something launches from a building, there will be incoming within minutes if not seconds given all the ships, planes, etc in the area? Or are these one and done rocket systems you don’t waste time targeting after the fact?
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:51 PM   #233
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
I know nothing of ordinance. Would civilians have any idea these rocket systems are in / on their apartments? I would guess at this point if something launches from a building, there will be incoming within minutes if not seconds given all the ships, planes, etc in the area? Or are these one and done rocket systems you don’t waste time targeting after the fact?
In my experience people would be very aware rockets were being launched from their roofs.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:52 PM   #234
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Crazy thought, instead of sending a warship the U.S. should tell Israel to stop making the living conditions horrible for the Palestinians and tell it to stop building illegal settlements (which is an act of war).
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2023, 05:56 PM   #235
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Israel should switch up their strategy. The current strategy of a large strike followed by breathing room for Hamas to restock isn't working. Israel would be much better off never calling a cease fire. Instead of hitting Hamas all at once, take a prolonged strategy. Anytime an Hamas member goes out in public, they strike. No more letting Hamas regroup and restock.
Strategy most recently has been to soften their security perimeter and establish the ability for Gazans to enter Israel to possibly work. This will be viewed as a possible weakness and root cause.

Things went from tough to worse in Gaza. We might see Israel permanently close borders, water, coastline. Gaza is a threat and Israel might starve them out until concessions are made (prisoners returned, arrests of those in charge) and until Gaza has a civil war.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2023, 06:17 PM   #236
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This is crazy. Is Poland going to send troops into Gaza? This could just be for moral support to evacuate citizens?
I don’t know but 200 special forces seems like a lot just for a typical evacuation.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:21 PM   #237
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
Crazy thought, instead of sending a warship the U.S. should tell Israel to stop making the living conditions horrible for the Palestinians and tell it to stop building illegal settlements (which is an act of war).
Yup
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2023, 06:56 PM   #238
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Strategy most recently has been to soften their security perimeter and establish the ability for Gazans to enter Israel to possibly work. This will be viewed as a possible weakness and root cause.

Things went from tough to worse in Gaza. We might see Israel permanently close borders, water, coastline. Gaza is a threat and Israel might starve them out until concessions are made (prisoners returned, arrests of those in charge) and until Gaza has a civil war.
I would presume that's a given going forward. No more work permits and a beefed up border force.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:28 PM   #239
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post

Or another idea, maybe the Palistinian people, who have been suffering for years on end, can decide that maybe Hamas isn’t actually looking out for their best interests.

Crazy thought - how is Israel supposed to make the living conditions better in a place where the ruling government is hell bent on the destruction of the Jewish state?

Care to ever wonder why Egypt, another Muslim country, also has a blockade on Gaza?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Language For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2023, 07:36 PM   #240
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Language View Post
Or another idea, maybe the Palistinian people, who have been suffering for years on end, can decide that maybe Hamas isn’t actually looking out for their best interests.

Crazy thought - how is Israel supposed to make the living conditions better in a place where the ruling government is hell bent on the destruction of the Jewish state?

Care to ever wonder why Egypt, another Muslim country, also has a blockade on Gaza?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The West Bank does not have Hamas as the leadership, and Israel builds settlements there too. This is an excuse used by Israel about Hamas, the truth is Israel will keep building and taking land and delaying negotiations until there's nothing left to negotiate
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post: