Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Of Mice

What do people use for a mouse around here? I dropped my old one and it hit the ground just right and broke. So out I went to buy a new mouse. Let me tell you, the display at Staples doesn't give you an accurate idea on how the mouse will feel.

I bought a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. What a piece of junk. It is uncomfortable and hurts my wrist. The wheel button cannot be pressed without moving your hand in an awkward way and that button is a must for me for my game play. The signal sucks, whether close or far from the connection. Sometimes it won't register then I'll move it around a bit and then I get all these movements quickly happen.

Laser is more accurate than optical my left foot. There is a certain spot on my desk where it just won't work and that spot doesn't look any different than any other spot on the desk.

What are people using and what do you recommend?

Now I have to figure out a way to get Staples to return the darned thing.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Logitech MX600 Cordless Laser Mouse

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MX600...654RR37MC5W173
Old 04-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Still using my Logitech MX 1000.
Had it for 5 or 6 years now, no complaints.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MX100...339716&sr=1-41

Last edited by keratosis; 04-09-2009 at 11:03 PM.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I usually hate wireless mice, have never liked them for gaming.

Logitech MX518

and

Logitech G9

This one though apparently is ok for gaming:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/130&cl=US,EN
Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Still using my Logitech MX 1000.
Had it for 5 or 6 years now, no complaints.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MX100...339716&sr=1-41
I had one of those but a few months ago the wireless started going flakey.

I'm using a G9 Laser mouse now. Way more settings than I need, but I do like the on-mouse sensitivity adjustments.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I bought a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000.
To me that is the biggest source of problems. Why get a wireless mouse? Just one more weak link to add to the chain. I don't know about the rest of you, but my mouse wire goes behind my desk and I never see it again. And unlike a wireless phone or even a laptop, it's not like I'm wandering around the house with it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
To me that is the biggest source of problems. Why get a wireless mouse? Just one more weak link to add to the chain. I don't know about the rest of you, but my mouse wire goes behind my desk and I never see it again. And unlike a wireless phone or even a laptop, it's not like I'm wandering around the house with it.
Since I am constantly setting up my laptop at home and at school, I need a wireless mouse.

I use the Logitech VX Revolution, I would consider something else but it needs to have hyperscroll because I am hooked.

For me my mouse is always in the bag so I need a laptop mouse because they have the place built into the mouse to store the dongle. If I didn't I would love a full size mouse, the VX is not a tiny mouse so you dont get the cramped hand from normal laptop mice.

One thing I have learned is a must for my mouse purchases, especially cordless mice or ones with hyperscroll. Get a product replacement plan. Maybe it is my usage, but I have broke 4-5 mice in the last 2 years and the Best Buy plan has saved me 200+ dollars easily. If it breaks in the first 6 months, they replace it over the counter no questions asked.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Don't get me wrong, I totally get the reason for a cordless mouse in a laptop that is always on the go. I've just never understood people with desktops using it. Including my sister; who often complains about issues with her cordless mouse. All these issues have to do with the cordlessness of it (battery, reception, etc) but refuse to have a cord on the mouse.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I don't have any problems with my wireless mouse (I have been using a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard (1014) and Mouse (1025) combination for a while now).

I like that it's less clutter on my desk, I always found the cords were hard to clean around, and it never really looked tidy.

I don't know if I ever changed the batteries in the keyboard (maybe once), and twice (maybe three times) on the mouse. Battery life is A-1 for me anyway.

Mind you, I don't game which there could be a major difference. The mouse allows me to navigate between threads on CP and Facebook, haha.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use a G5 for gaming, and a VX revolution for my laptop.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I gave up my mouse about a year ago and now use the Kensington Orbit Optical Trackball. I was never a fan of them but I gave it a go when a buddy insisted and now I love it.

Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Razer Diamondback G3

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...dback_3g/6.htm
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Temporary_User For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a really basic EX90 cordless keyboard and mouse I bought from Dell for $20. Never any problems and I can take it to the next room and use my computer on my TV with it.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

To Rathji:
I agree with you completely on Hyperscroll. I am hooked on the feature just as you are, and cannot understand how could I have lived without Hyperscroll in the past.
maidestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've never had a problem with wireless mice, I have one my laptop and one my PC.
SteveToms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I totally get the reason for a cordless mouse in a laptop that is always on the go. I've just never understood people with desktops using it. Including my sister; who often complains about issues with her cordless mouse. All these issues have to do with the cordlessness of it (battery, reception, etc) but refuse to have a cord on the mouse.
It's useful when you want to chuck it across the room after getting beat by some 13 year old punk online.

I have a Logitech MX Revolution for my one desktop - great mouse.

A TrackMan Wheel for my old laptop - good for working at close quarters and very comfortable.

And an MS Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 for my new laptop - nice enough, but the Logitech is better except that you can use this mouse with either hand, which is important at work as I get carpal after a few hours and so it's great to be able to ambidextrous-ify it.

I've probably bought 30-40 mice/trackballs/touchpads over the last decade or so on the theory that you spend a considerable amount of hours directly using it, so it should be the best you can get (same with keyboards). Trackballs are far superior than ANY mouse if you are cramped for space, and also work reasonably well in everyday use, but a mouse is more precise if you are doing detail work or trying to play games where reaction speed and accuracy is critical. Touchpads are ok but definitely inferior to mouse or trackball for just about anything, but are a thousand times better on a laptop than those crappy pointer things, which are more or less like using a joystick as a mouse (which you'll notice no-one does).
Old 04-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Logiech Mediaplay - Doubles as a remote control from my couch or bed.

Has volume, media controls (play/pause/next/last track, etc.). The mouse wheel even moves left and right, not just up and down. All the buttons are backlit too (the black text lights up blue) so you can see in the dark as concievably you might be using it to control a movie.

This is going to be the mouse I use for like the next 10 or 15 years. I like it so much, I bought 3 backups as they are hard to find. It kicks ass in games too. I don't know how anyone can live without at least 9 buttons on their mouse.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-11-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post
This ^

Seriously, wireless mice are lame lame lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #20
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Wired mice are lame! You can see ugly wires! You can't play from your couch!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote