Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2019, 12:00 AM   #41
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the OP whole heartedly and approve this message.
My wife and I laugh about this all the time, happy to see we are not alone.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:52 AM   #42
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I was looking for an amphibious sandal for a beach today and yes, the ones I found were ugly. I don't get the bit of fabric that connects the toe strap to the ankle strap. It seems pretty useless.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:18 AM   #43
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else just not give a damn what other people think of their footwear choices?
Old 07-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #44
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
For what it's worth I'm a proud member of the socks and sandals club. I started it because well it annoyed the crap out of my girlfriend at the time and well I just grew to like the combo.
You are not supposed to annoy your girlfriend on purpose. That way you get to keep them.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 AM   #45
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Does anyone else just not give a damn what other people think of their footwear choices?
You pretty much can’t win, so you might as well not try.

Fashionable people don’t understand why anyone would wear things that aren’t fashionable.

Out of touch people don’t understand fashionable things.

Whether you’re wearing $1000 Louis Vuitton sneakers, Red Wing boots, a fine pair of dress shoes, Sketchers, or Crocs, someone (somewhere) thinks you look stupid.

Just wear what you like and accept you have to ignore the ‘fashionistas’ or the old men yelling at clouds. Sometimes both.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #46
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That’s how people end up wearing dirty sweatpants to go grocery shopping and pajamas to the liquor store. There is a line between looking like a slob and being a fashionista (most ‘fashion’ trends are horrendous anyway), and it’s about a mile wide.
No one really cares all that much about what someone wears, it’s just part of the package of living in a society of people. If no one was allowed to judge anyone by anything...I think there’s a Death song in there somewhere. It sure is easier to say “I don’t care” and the whole you do you bo thing.
People with filthy ass cars and untamed yards tend to feel the same way. Which is totally cool, but people are judging that.
/old man prejudicial bigoted rant
Old 07-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #47
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You pretty much can’t win, so you might as well not try.

Fashionable people don’t understand why anyone would wear things that aren’t fashionable.

Out of touch people don’t understand fashionable things.

Whether you’re wearing $1000 Louis Vuitton sneakers, Red Wing boots, a fine pair of dress shoes, Sketchers, or Crocs, someone (somewhere) thinks you look stupid.

Just wear what you like and accept you have to ignore the ‘fashionistas’ or the old men yelling at clouds. Sometimes both.
Seriously.

Fashion is so stupid.

I realize that looks have some kind of bearing on our life. And I realize that there is no way of avoiding external influence on what you find looks good.

But god damn. Who gives a #### about your $500 pants that are too short for you. I don't care what brand they are, you can find a pair that fits well and lasts a long time for $60. If you are paying hundreds of dollars for clothes you are paying for the name on the label.

I would wear track pants or gym shorts everywhere if I could.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #48
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post

The 1950s called and they are missing one grumpy grandpa. You should hurry back.

Pfft then you can call me grumpy grandma.

I’m so sick of people wearing flip flops etc everywhere, and people with the most hideous black skin cancers and gross legs think it’s okay to wear shorts to a restaurant.

Bleh. Too much skin in Florida. There are ways to cover up more without sweating to death. In fact I find a bit of covering can actually make things more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #49
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
That’s how people end up wearing dirty sweatpants to go grocery shopping and pajamas to the liquor store. There is a line between looking like a slob and being a fashionista (most ‘fashion’ trends are horrendous anyway), and it’s about a mile wide.
No one really cares all that much about what someone wears, it’s just part of the package of living in a society of people. If no one was allowed to judge anyone by anything...I think there’s a Death song in there somewhere. It sure is easier to say “I don’t care” and the whole you do you bo thing.
People with filthy ass cars and untamed yards tend to feel the same way. Which is totally cool, but people are judging that.
/old man prejudicial bigoted rant
People are literally judging everything. By someone, somewhere, you’re definitely being judged for something you think is perfectly fine.

I judge people who wear pajamas out of the house all the time. Flip flops to the grocery store? Disgusting. Board shorts anywhere but the beach? Die in a fire.

But I don’t for a second think anyone cares, or that they should actually change because I’m judging them. I would just never do it. I understand why they would. But for me? Nah.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #50
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who thinks positive stuff about strangers they see? That's not fun at all. Do you stand in line at the grocery store, see some skuzzy looking guy in stained sweatpants and flip flops, and think "I bet he pays his bills on time"
#### that, that's boring
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #51
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Seriously.

Fashion is so stupid.

I realize that looks have some kind of bearing on our life. And I realize that there is no way of avoiding external influence on what you find looks good.

But god damn. Who gives a #### about your $500 pants that are too short for you. I don't care what brand they are, you can find a pair that fits well and lasts a long time for $60. If you are paying hundreds of dollars for clothes you are paying for the name on the label.

I would wear track pants or gym shorts everywhere if I could.

You could say that about a lot of things though. The one that comes to mind for me is cars...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:04 PM   #52
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
You could say that about a lot of things though. The one that comes to mind for me is cars...
I will back you up on that one actually.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #53
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Judging people and making crap up just based on what they drive is what gets me through most traffic jams. Its so much fun
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:23 AM   #54
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with the OP when it comes to ugly sandals but my beef is more with what the girls are wearing as that's who I am looking at. I don't care about the guy's but some of these clowns are just beyond help.

I've always found the sexiness of the footwear that a lot of the women wear in Canada and North America to be just brutal. A lot of the time a lot of these girls will go out of their way to look good and are all done up and than they throw on a $3 pair of flip flops as if they are going to the beach when in reality they are going out on a Saturday night.

Whenever I go to Greece every summer or other specific places in Europe, a majority of the women are putting on sexy, attractive, comfortable and affordable footwear. Their look gets totally transformed.

These Birkenstock and some of these really ugly sandals just ruin the look and I never understood that. Flip flops are best reserved for the beach, the pool, lounging around the house or outdoors. They aren't for a wedding with a suit, they aren't for the club, they aren't for driving a manual transmission.

I've kinda gone off topic but I think we've taken the extreme level of comfort in society to the extreme and it's getting worse. I was at a wedding a few months back and I gave my brother crap for wearing a very similar blue suit as me and than we get there and it was comical. Jean's, a hoddie and one guy with his Dallas Cowboys jersey on, all at a wedding!!

A tragic funeral I attended and people are looking like they were at a resort, other's wearing shorts and golf shirts. What ever happened to a tie? Even Brian Burke said he would only tie his tie at a funeral as a sign of respect.

Anyhow rant over but I don't think it would kill a lot of people to look a little more polished.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 08:01 AM   #55
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It’s weird when you read here about judging footwear and then something like this pops on your YouTube feed:

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #56
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only reason you notice sandals at all, at the moment, is because somehow men wearing duck pants have become a thing. Of all of the genderbending 90's fashion trends to become popular, that's such a weird one.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #57
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It’s weird when you read here about judging footwear and then something like this pops on your YouTube feed:

This guy is awesome
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #58
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
This is where I end up as well. My personal philosophy has always been about doing what you want up until it impacts other people. Somebody wearing something stupid looking doesn’t _actually_ impact you. If it does you might be calibrated a little too tightly, but that’s ok. Just as it’s ok to wear crocs and not care, it’s ok to spend your afternoon churning over somebody else’s decision. It feels like an odd expenditure of energy when we all have that in limited supply, but none of this matters anyways.

For me with footwear smell is a huge factor. That certainly impacts others around you. I never understood people who spend tons to look good and then they just reek all the time because they spent $200 on bacteria traps for their feet.

I have camping crocs and I’ve never found anything better. They don’t smell, they don’t wear out, there’s air flow, you can walk through a river and they’re dry in 10 minutes, and you can fully drop an axe on your foot and be totally fine. Hell, you could probably get away with accidentally chopping into a croc and it would just bounce off.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #59
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Birks are great. Super comfy and I happen to like the classic aesthetic. I've worn mine all over Canada, India, and SE Asia. I basically never wear shoes when I'm traveling in hotter places actually. I even wear them with, gasp, pants!

I also wear moccasins. Come at me.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #60
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sign me up for the camp that doesn’t give a #### what anyone thinks!

Adult men can’t wear flip flops? Really??????
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote