Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #781
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I just spent a few days in Northern Idaho - guns are everywhere.
Yeah man. Not trying to single out Idaho, but it's just trippy to be standing in line at the gas station and buddy in front of me is packing heat, right there on his hip. I mean, I guess I'm used to seeing cops with their guns on their hips, but George from accounting is in there to buy a pack of cigs and he's got his gun, just in case? Big giant shiny looking Cougar Magnum from the Goldeneye video game. (Ok, I don't actually know what kind of gun it was, just that it was a big ass revolver that looked like it would take the head off of a cow)

Just so weird to see in real life in broad daylight at the gas station. Dorky white guy in blue jeans, with a shiny revolver hanging off his hip.

Besides the weirdness of that being normal for Americans, I wonder what was going to stop someone from just snatching it out of the holster and running off with it? I mean, do you chase a guy who just stole your gun? He's got the f-ing gun now. You don't really have much say.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #782
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to see guys rock climbing with hand guns. Harness...check. Chalk bag...check. Full chamber...check. Like what in the world would you need a gun for? Your hands are pretty busy trying not to fall to your death.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #783
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When I used to watch a cheesy action movie from the 90s and every random idiot on the street would pull out their gun and start shooting, I used to be like "lol, why does the mail man and the shop owner have a gun? What a weird situation." Then I moved to America and understood that it's not that weird down there.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #784
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Yeah man. Not trying to single out Idaho, but it's just trippy to be standing in line at the gas station and buddy in front of me is packing heat, right there on his hip. I mean, I guess I'm used to seeing cops with their guns on their hips, but George from accounting is in there to buy a pack of cigs and he's got his gun, just in case? Big giant shiny looking Cougar Magnum from the Goldeneye video game. (Ok, I don't actually know what kind of gun it was, just that it was a big ass revolver that looked like it would take the head off of a cow)

Just so weird to see in real life in broad daylight at the gas station. Dorky white guy in blue jeans, with a shiny revolver hanging off his hip.

Besides the weirdness of that being normal for Americans, I wonder what was going to stop someone from just snatching it out of the holster and running off with it? I mean, do you chase a guy who just stole your gun? He's got the f-ing gun now. You don't really have much say.
You grab your other gun and shoot him with that. Or your other other gun.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #785
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You grab your other gun and shoot him with that. Or your other other gun.
And if you forget the other other gun you always have the gun in your bum that's shaped like a plumb and you shoot with your thumb

That country is dumb
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #786
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had a gun and was intent on using it to kill people the guys packing heat would be the first ones I’d take out and they’d never see it coming.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 04:19 AM   #787
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
tough to do when the republicans blocked anything to do with any gun control...there were even democrats that voted against the bill, but in the end, even if the democrats all followed the party line, they still didn't have enough votes to pass the bill

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...-gun-purchases
Would an executive order work?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #788
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nobody killed thankfully, but this one hits super close to home as this happened in the same building complex that I was employed at just 10 months ago.

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/loca...outputType=amp
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:03 PM   #789
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Active shooter situation in Texas. 1 dead so far with several other people injured.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/0...ter-nr-vpx.cnn

Quote:
There is an active shooter situation that has left multiple people injured and at least one is dead in Odessa and Midland, Texas, according to police.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ssa-home-depot

Quote:
In a first post on its Facebook page on Saturday afternoon, the Midland police department noted reports of “an active shooter” at the Home Depot in Odessa and said: “For the safety of the public and law enforcement please stay away from the area and stay in your homes. We will update will more information as soon as possible.”

In an update, the department posted: “We believe there are two shooters in two separate vehicles. One suspect is believed to be at the Cinergy in Midland and the other is believed to be driving on Loop 250 in Midland.”

The Cinergy in Midland is a multiplex cinema.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #790
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wasn't there a school shooting as well?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #791
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never understood the term “active shooter” - “shooter” or “shooting” implies the activity. Seems redundant - can a shooting be passive?
Old 08-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #792
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/31/us/mo...ing/index.html

Yeah, I knew I had heard something. 10 shot at a high school football game.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:08 PM   #793
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Never understood the term “active shooter” - “shooter” or “shooting” implies the activity. Seems redundant - can a shooting be passive?
Present tense vs past tense. I think active shooter implies that it's happening right now and to stay the hell away...from the entire country.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #794
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It means he's not out of bullets or dead yet
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:17 PM   #795
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree. It’s a shooter.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #796
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suspect in Texas has been shot and killed by police. 5 dead and 21 injured so far. There were reports earlier that there might have been two shooters, but apparently there was only one?

Oh, and the shooter is being reported as a white male in his 30s. Shocking, I know.

https://www.vox.com/2019/8/31/208426...g-what-we-know

Quote:
What we know:

At least 21 people were shot, according to Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke.

At least five people were killed according to Gerke.
Quote:
The suspect, a white male said by police to be in his 30s, was killed by police in Odessa.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #797
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a contraction. The phrase is "Active Shooter Situation", which is in regards to how emergency response deal with it. In an active shooter situation, there are several basic steps taken and plans activated, thus the all encompassing phrase "active shooter situation".

Media has just lopped the 'situation' off the end of it.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #798
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Suspect in Texas has been shot and killed by police. 5 dead and 21 injured so far. There were reports earlier that there might have been two shooters, but apparently there was only one?

Oh, and the shooter is being reported as a white male in his 30s. Shocking, I know.

https://www.vox.com/2019/8/31/208426...g-what-we-know

Hijacking a mail truck is not very smart. Unless it’s one of the new Promasters they are absolute pieces of junk .

There was another case where someone tried to make a getaway in what we call an LLV- the thing died on the highway.

In any case, RIP and hope the others recover.

Wasn’t there a shooting at a Home Depot not long ago? Hey it’s getting hard to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2019, 08:17 PM   #799
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thoughts and Prayers
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:55 PM   #800
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 years ago