Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default N. Korea: Hydrogen bomb test successful

The Associated Press‏Verified account @AP 1m1 minute ago
More
BREAKING: Yonhap agency says South Korean military confirms North Korean ballistic missile flew over Japan.

The Associated Press‏Verified account @AP 15m15 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: South Korean news agency says North Korea has fired an unidentified missile.

Alarm from JP Gov. "A missile was fired from North Korea. Please evacuate to a sturdy building or basement." #northkorea #Japan

Quote:
The Japanese military did not attempt to shoot down the missile, which passed over Japanese territory around 6:06 a.m. local time (2106 GMT).

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he would do all in his power to protect the Japanese public after the missile that passed over the country’s territory.

“We will make utmost efforts to firmly protect the lives of the people,” Abe told reporters in brief remarks as he entered his office for emergency meetings on the missile firing.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3701991/no...medium=Twitter

Last edited by Otto-matic; 08-28-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man. NK ####ed up.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this is alarming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alarming indeed.

Why the eff would NK do that though? I didn't think they were pissed at Japan.

I don't think they'd love to be invaded either because it's not like they want to die as martyrs for some afterlife paradise.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of off topic but gold had a fairly important break out day today. I was wondering why and assumed it must have something to do with the storm in Texas, USD dropping likely on projected economic decline in the wake of the storm. But it was really a lot more significant of a move than those issue would indicate.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Alarming indeed.

I don't think they'd love to be invaded either because it's not like they want to die as martyrs for some afterlife paradise.
Trying to apply logical plans of action to North Korea? That's generous.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe as a way to test out their systems while the US government is distracted by the Houston floods?
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Japan is backed by the US, and given their history with the Chinese and Korean, they are a common enemy of both the North and South Koreas / China / Russia, etc...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Alarming indeed.

North Korea and Japan have been enemies for years and ever since the induction of the NK Ballistic Missile program, Japan has been on high alert and the US has warned NK that Japan has their full support.

China has been the only deterring factor from a invasion of NK by Japan and the US for years.

One could say Japan and NK are bigger enemies than China and Japan and that's saying something.

I don't know how to imbed but here is a link for some insight to the history between NK and Japan.

https://www.ncnk.org/resources/brief...apan-relations
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #10
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Trying to apply logical plans of action to North Korea? That's generous.
I think that NK is actually rational...they have a long strategy for the survival of the regime and reunification of the peninsula under NK.

What North Korea wants (podcast)

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #11
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
I think that NK is actually rational...they have a long strategy for the survival of the regime and reunification of the peninsula under NK.

What North Korea wants (podcast)
If by re-unification you mean the entire peninsula is "scorched earth" then I would agree with you. Anything less or more than that... Uhhh... No...
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i mentioned it in other posts. NK would never attack SK. They consider those people their own. and they would never attack the US, too far and suicide. So Japan is the only option left.

Last edited by GirlySports; 08-28-2017 at 04:45 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #13
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
i mentioned it in other posts. NK would never attack SK. They consider those people their own. and they would never attach the US, too far and suicide. So Japan is the only option left.
Never seems like a stretch, considering a) they have 10's of thousands of weapons trained on Seoul and b) have likely slaughtered many thousands, if not millions of their own people in NK through starvation, prisons, etc.

I don't think you can attach much rational thinking to NK. Hopefully that regime is not suicidal.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i mentioned it in other posts. NK would never attack SK. They consider those people their own. and they would never attack the US, too far and suicide. So Japan is the only option left.
That doesn't add up though as attacking Japan is sure to bring the wrath of the U.S. anyhow.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #15
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

So do we invade now?

What stock would be good to buy? Lockheed Martin?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I don't buy that conclusion at all.

They don't view those people as their own, they view them as dupes of the Capitalist South and completely disposal in their drive to liberate the South.

They have come to the conclusion that the only way to liberate the South is via force, however they know that its a futile effort, and they believe that the South will probably attack them.

On top of that, the Liberation of the South isn't about the Liberation of the people, its about the liberation of the farm land and agricultural wealth of teh south, the people in the South are in the way.

The North Koreans also wouldn't hesitate to turn Seoul into a slaughter house.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #17
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That doesn't add up though as attacking Japan is sure to bring the wrath of the U.S. anyhow.

You are probably right but it's not 100% like if the US were attacked. Remember China is still there.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #18
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would it? Remember China is still there.
You really think if it came down to it that China would back North Korea against the US?

They likely wouldn't. It's not worth the cost militarily and economically. They'd just want a seat at the table to push the DMZ north to their border.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #19
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The real strategy, I think, is to appear crazy and unpredictable enough to cause the US to fear that, despite this fact, you might still attack Japan or South Korea (especially in the event of US intervention in North Korea). I think this is the regime's (pretty rational) strategy for survival.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #20
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
You really think if it came down to it that China would back North Korea against the US?

They likely wouldn't. It's not worth the cost militarily and economically. They'd just want a seat at the table to push the DMZ north to their border.
Probably not but at least there is a possibly. Would China want a US-allied unified Korea right on its border?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post: