Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #5761
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

any light on a pathway in the daytime is just stupid. it's not helping you and pissing off the person coming up behind you.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #5762
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have always used flashing lights on the front and rear of my bike. My reasoning was that a flashing light draws more attention, and that's what I want. A steady stream of light may not alert people that my bike is near, and may get lost in the rest of the lights out at night. I always have it angled down so as not to blind people. After the last few posts I was curious as to why you wouldn't want to use flashing lights.

From this article it says to use a solid light at night, and flashing during the day.

https://averagejoecyclist.com/use-flashing-bike-lights/

Almost all of my night riding is on roads that are either bikes only, or designated bike routes. There are parts where the bike lane is separated, but not often. I still feel that a strobe light works best, as I don't need the light to see where I'm going. I'm using it to ensure others see me.

With it getting darker earlier now, I'm biking more when lights are required. It shocks me when I see people biking late at night without lights of any kind on their bikes. Some don't have reflectors. Many don't ride with helmets and wear dark clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 09-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #5763
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fine with strobe on the road. Just turn it off on the pathway.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #5764
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

And to the nice person who was on the side of the path with her dog in the pitch dark this morning: great that you saw me coming and pulled to the side. Better still if you got some lights for both you and your pooch so everyone is safer.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #5765
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did the pathway closure along Memorial by the zoo move west?

I am looking at the City's Pathways closures map, and last time I went, I could still cross over the 12th St. bridge towards St. Georges Zoo Dr and then to Nose Creek. Now it looks like it is closed east of Baine's Bridge, and you have to cross over the Franklin LRT bridge. Is this right?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #5766
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Did the pathway closure along Memorial by the zoo move west?

I am looking at the City's Pathways closures map, and last time I went, I could still cross over the 12th St. bridge towards St. Georges Zoo Dr and then to Nose Creek. Now it looks like it is closed east of Baine's Bridge, and you have to cross over the Franklin LRT bridge. Is this right?
I don't know what the deal was this morning. Suffice it to say, I ended up going the wrong way down the ramp because there wasn't an evident detour.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #5767
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
I don't know what the deal was this morning. Suffice it to say, I ended up going the wrong way down the ramp because there wasn't an evident detour.
Okay. Honestly, I hadn't checked the pathway closure map before, and checked the website to see if the regular route had finally opened up, and noticed it looked like the closure had been pushed west to cut off everything east of the Baines Bridge. When I checked the date on the map, it showed May, so I was kind of confused since I used the pathway a couple of weeks ago and was able to cross 12th St bridge over Memorial.

So, judging by what you wrote, I guess the closure has migrated?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #5768
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Mark Beaumont completed his Around the World in 80 days challenge today. He did it in 78 days 14+ hours.

He also broke the record for most kms in a month at 11, 315kms.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...ntral-41308524

https://www.strava.com/athletes/8288853
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #5769
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got through that detour this morning. I'll check again this afternoon.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #5770
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow riding that section eastbound this morning my brain wasn't awake enough to process that I'd have to change my ride home. Boo-urns.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #5771
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Okay. Honestly, I hadn't checked the pathway closure map before, and checked the website to see if the regular route had finally opened up, and noticed it looked like the closure had been pushed west to cut off everything east of the Baines Bridge. When I checked the date on the map, it showed May, so I was kind of confused since I used the pathway a couple of weeks ago and was able to cross 12th St bridge over Memorial.

So, judging by what you wrote, I guess the closure has migrated?
I looked at the City map after I made my previous comment and it appears to be the original one I looked at back in June. When I rode that way in June, I was surprised that the reality didn't match the map as I was able to use the pathway right to the Baines Bridge. Now, the situation on the ground matches the City map.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #5772
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
I looked at the City map after I made my previous comment and it appears to be the original one I looked at back in June. When I rode that way in June, I was surprised that the reality didn't match the map as I was able to use the pathway right to the Baines Bridge. Now, the situation on the ground matches the City map.
Hmm. That's kind of coincidental that I happened to check today. I was thinking of doing a run along the river towards home, but dislike that detour along St. Georges Dr. and was hoping they were finally done. That new detour looks kind of unpleasant.

I take it that you got stuck after coming down from St. George's? So you can't even go along the grass or anything?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #5773
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I take it that you got stuck after coming down from St. George's? So you can't even go along the grass or anything?
This morning, I crossed 12th St/St George's and rode down the sidewalk, even though it was closed. At the point I realized the pathway was closed to Baines, I rode onto the ramp and proceeded down the ramp (going the wrong way) and picked up the path again on the west side of Baines.

For my afternoon commute, I left the path at Baines and went up the ramp to 12th St/St George's.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #5774
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wore my balaclava this morning...
Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #5775
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I wore my balaclava this morning...
Yep. I wore my neck tube and two pairs of wool socks. And a beanie under the helmet.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #5776
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what's the deal with the closure over 12st bridge connecting to St. George's drive? Is this a long term thing? Funny how so many of us ride the same route.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #5777
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's staying that way until the end of the year. Easy to deal with when riding eastbound, just take the lane going up to St. George's drive. Heading westbound I'm coming down the hill and turning right into Bridgeland (12th Street), take my first left at McDougall Road and then ride south on the sidewalk at 9th Street to get to the LRT overpass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #5778
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah ok, I didn't realize the exit lane is still open gong eastbound, I turned around when I hit the second large detour sign and bobcats on the path and went over the bridgeland LRT overpass.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #5779
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

To avoid the detour, I just go on the inside of the pylons westbound in the morning before they start work. I take the lane when riding eastbound.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #5780
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

over the weekend I ordered a dropper post for my fatbike - after some agonizing over what to buy I went with the ks eten as it seemed to be the lowest cost stealth routed option and some new pedals (race face chester).

also ordered two new taillights with the laser thing that projects behind the bike. installed one light on my commuter and it seemed to work ok for the initial test. wonder if it will be much more visible than my regular tail light