Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #1801
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I wanted to place a pre order for an iPhone 8 how quickly do they sell out and would I have time to place the order on the day the pre orders start? Or do they usually sell out immediately? I am looking at placing an order for an iPhone 8 but I've never pre ordered anything from Apple before
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #1802
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I pre-ordered my iPhone 6 on the first day of pre-order 3 years ago. No problem ordering it, and then on release day chose a pickup time. Stood in my 3 person pre-order line and watched all the people who had been in line since the night before.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #1803
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bestbuy is showing the available plans with the carriers. Looks like Rogers non-business plans will be $429 for the iPhone 8 (256gb) with plan. Might see what Costco will offer, they tend to have good deals for the business plans. At least they were offering the iPhone 7 (128gb) for $125 and would give $125 in cash cards.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #1804
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
If I wanted to place a pre order for an iPhone 8 how quickly do they sell out and would I have time to place the order on the day the pre orders start? Or do they usually sell out immediately? I am looking at placing an order for an iPhone 8 but I've never pre ordered anything from Apple before
It's tough to say what demand will be because there are so many models now. , but I'd order as soon as possible. Fortunately Apple will put you on a waiting list if you're not one of the first to order, guaranteeing you'll get a phone. You might have to wait a few extra weeks but at least you won't have to constantly check stock, like you do with Google and Nintendo.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 01:44 AM   #1805
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I just ordered my first Apple product. Weird feeling. haha!

64GB Space Grey iPhone 8 Plus.

I'll probably do an unboxing and use it for a week and then sell it.

I went on the Apple website at 1:10am and ordered as a guest. No issues.

I get the feeling that most people are waiting for the iPhone X.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #1806
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
I just ordered my first Apple product. Weird feeling. haha!

64GB Space Grey iPhone 8 Plus.

I'll probably do an unboxing and use it for a week and then sell it.

I went on the Apple website at 1:10am and ordered as a guest. No issues.

I get the feeling that most people are waiting for the iPhone X.
I'm wondering why you wouldn't keep the phone you just bought? If it's to resell for a profit, is there really any money to be made reselling a used (opened) iPhone? Is the demand that high?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #1807
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

MrDJZak has been giving us a lot of info about the new phone via his Youtube channel. If I wasn't interested in the phone, I could see buying it, unboxing and doing demo. Then sell it for a loss of a few bucks- worth it to be able to play with a new toy for a week.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #1808
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the 64gb version adequate these days? I have a 64gb 5S which is pretty good, but with 4K recording and 12MP photos of the 7 and 8, I am wondering if that is still the case?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #1809
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It would be for me but I don't take a lot of photos or videos.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #1810
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
MrDJZak has been giving us a lot of info about the new phone via his Youtube channel. If I wasn't interested in the phone, I could see buying it, unboxing and doing demo. Then sell it for a loss of a few bucks- worth it to be able to play with a new toy for a week.
This is basically what I'm thinking. I'll use it (only around the house - with a case on) for a couple weeks and then decide what to do.

I have a couple family members that have expressed interest. If they don't bite I'll throw it up on Buy/Sell section of CP.

Then again, maybe I'll love. I don't know. I've always been an Android guy, but I figured this was a good time to try Apple.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the new Pixel. Expect an announcement on Oct. 4th, as per billboards that went up earlier this week.
Should probably start a different thread for that.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #1811
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don't plan on getting the iPhone X. I'll leave that to other reviewers.

I have this feeling that FaceID isn't going to take off so well with the Apple crowd. That Apple wanted an embedded TouchID from the start, but couldn't get it to work (reports suggest it worked but was slow).

I also suspect that the iPhone 8 & Plus are fall-back products because of the delay, and possible issues, with the iPhone X. Why come out with 3 products when ultimately everyone wants the iPhone X because it has all the bells and whistles.

Ok, easy argument: so there's a price for everyone (iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, etc). I don't buy that. This was/is the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. One device should have sufficed. Since when did Apple care about price structure and making sure everyone could get a device?

I just have this feeling that next year's iPhone will have the TouchID return along with FaceID.

Last edited by MrDJZak; 09-15-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #1812
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pre-ordered an Apple TV 4K, pretty excited for that!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #1813
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going to check out what kinds of small business plan deals they have at Costco. I am kind of irritated that the Watch 3 isn't on Rogers, but maybe Bell or Telus aren't that bad. If Roger's would at least give some indication of Watch support that would also be useful information.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #1814
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
I don't plan on getting the iPhone X. I'll leave that to other reviewers.

I have this feeling that FaceID isn't going to take off so well with the Apple crowd. That Apple wanted an embedded TouchID from the start, but couldn't get it to work (reports suggest it worked but was slow).
That's what I thought as well but according to John Gruber Face ID became the focus, and not fall back, over a year ago: https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/i...d_observations

Gruber generally provides positive spin for Apple, so who knows if that's true.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #1815
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

ios 11 launches today
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #1816
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
ios 11 launches today
Anyone able to install it yet? It's not showing up as an available OTA update for me yet.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #1817
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is the 64gb version adequate these days? I have a 64gb 5S which is pretty good, but with 4K recording and 12MP photos of the 7 and 8, I am wondering if that is still the case?
I ordered the 128 GB because I wanted to future proof and use my iphone 7 for about 4-5 years before upgrading again. I cheaped out on the 16GB iphone 6 and ran out of room all the time. I assumed the OS was around 9-10GB of the memory.

I purchased this last year September. I have about 23GB in photos/videos (wife always steals my phone to take pics because she likes the outcome better than her 6S), 12 GB in apps, 2GB in audio and around 35 GB in saved Netflix shows. If you have the memory, you'll use it up. It's nice not having to uninstall anything I don't use to ensure I always have space.

$130 ish to go from the 32 GB version to 128GB version is worth it if you want to future proof and use your phone an additional 2-3 years. I wouldn't grab the 32 unless I was planning to change phones every 2-3 years.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #1818
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think the release is staggered. You should be start to see the update come through in the next few hours.
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #1819
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Anyone able to install it yet? It's not showing up as an available OTA update for me yet.
I was a part of the beta program. While I don't tend to load beta versions on my phone, I did jump on the GM version that was released a few days ago as it is essentially the official version. So far I've absolutely loved it on my SE. Being able to swiss army knife your control centre to add a bunch of things in there is wonderful and very un-Apple. I've also enjoyed what they've done with Photos, mainly that you can select any frame from a live photo and make it the key frame.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #1820
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I tend to wait for the first release after the release of a major version, I always seem to get impacted by some battery draining bug lately.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: