Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Oleg Yevenko - Do we keep him?

Just wondering what the verdict is on Yevenko. His size is intriguing... is he worth offering a contract to and developing further?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't really see enough of him to make any solid decisions. He only played a couple of games, although I did like his use of size and that he plays a big game.

I don't think I'd offer him an NHL contract, but I see no harm offering him an AHL one with the understanding that he could spend considerable time in the ECHL as we have a number of Flames drafted Defence prospects coming in. Culkin, Kulak, Sieloff, Ramage, Kanzig and Roy will all be in the AHL next year. Wotherspoon could potentially be there as well and we signed Kenney Morrison who will also spend a good amount of time in the AHL. We will probably retain Stevenson on an AHL contract (if not somehow signed to an NHL one after his stint as a Black Ace) for his veteran, leadership and enforcing presence. I'm already up to 9 defenceman without naming anyone who would be a "long shot" to make the team.

You also have guys like Mark Cundari who could be signed again as a veteran guy for the team. With so many young rookies or 2nd year guys, we need a guy like Cundari around still to show them the way.

So yea, I'd like to see Yevenko signed to an AHL deal to keep him around due to his size, but I'm not sure if its feasible unless he's willing to spend some time in the ECHL.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Didn't really see enough of him to make any solid decisions. He only played a couple of games, although I did like his use of size and that he plays a big game.

I don't think I'd offer him an NHL contract, but I see no harm offering him an AHL one with the understanding that he could spend considerable time in the ECHL as we have a number of Flames drafted Defence prospects coming in. Culkin, Kulak, Sieloff, Ramage, Kanzig and Roy will all be in the AHL next year. Wotherspoon could potentially be there as well and we signed Kenney Morrison who will also spend a good amount of time in the AHL. We will probably retain Stevenson on an AHL contract (if not somehow signed to an NHL one after his stint as a Black Ace) for his veteran, leadership and enforcing presence. I'm already up to 9 defenceman without naming anyone who would be a "long shot" to make the team.

You also have guys like Mark Cundari who could be signed again as a veteran guy for the team. With so many young rookies or 2nd year guys, we need a guy like Cundari around still to show them the way.

So yea, I'd like to see Yevenko signed to an AHL deal to keep him around due to his size, but I'm not sure if its feasible unless he's willing to spend some time in the ECHL.
Roy might not be signed and even so, can see him and Kanzig in Adirondack to get minutes. No harm in signing Yevenko to a Nhl deal given that he is further along in his development after four years at college. Believe he is still echl eligible regardless of Nhl or ahl deal.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

It never hurts to add size into the organization. I would have him do the Hathaway and play all year either in Stockton or the ECHL and make him earn an NHL contract. The Flames are going to have a bit of a log jam with the quantity of middling defensive prospects, just like they were a few years ago when guys like Negrin, Pelech, Baldwin, Aulie etc were in the system.

I'd be shocked if the Flames don't have 3 or 4 D-men in the ECHL for next year because of the ridiculous amount of players they have.

In my mind the Flames only have two players that are more likely than not to become NHL players and that's Morrison and Wotherspoon. After that, it's just a matter of evaluating each guy and see who takes the spots. Yevenko could be that guy that elevates himself just as it could be Kanzig, Kulak, Culkin, Sieloff, etc etc. It never hurts having quality depth.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Giordano
2. Brodie
3. Wideman
4. Russell
5. Engelland
6. Smid (LTIR?)

NHL top 4 is set, barring a trade. Not sure about Smid, but if his career is in jeopardy then there might be a #6 spot for a young guy, but I doubt they leave it open....not this teams MO. Likely see a guy like Diaz or Schlemko back.....or both....or another UFA signing.

1. (22) Wotherspoon (ELC)
2. (23) Morrison (ELC)
3. (21) Kulak (ELC)
4. (21) Culkin (ELC)
5. (21) Sieloff (ELC)
6. (20) Kanzig (ELC)
7. (24) Ramage (RFA)
8. (25) Acolatse (RFA)
9. (25) Cundari (UFA VI)
10. (26) Stevenson (AHL)
11. (24) Yevenko (AHL)
12. (20) Roy (Unsigned)
13. (26) Billins (RFA)

Even without signing the bottom 4-5 guys on this list, 8-9 D-men to build an AHL defense group with. Going to be a log jam for sure, and plenty of young, inexperienced (1st/2nd year) guys leading the way too. As mentioned by Caged Great, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "vets" are brought back and we end up with several Dmen playing in the ECHL next year.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Rafikov comes over.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Calgary is likely the organization most interested in him.

If he had NHL or AHL contract offers from other organizations he would have likely already signed with them.

Given the projected depth the Flames have at the AHL level, it can't be an ideal position for Yevenko to start his pro career, yet he came to Adirondack on a tryout.

Yevenko doesn't really have the bargaining position to ask for more than an AHL deal. At most I would suspect he may have a couple of ECHL only offers from other teams.

If the Flames feel he is worth an AHL deal he will be signed.

Last edited by sureLoss; 05-04-2015 at 09:59 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I hope Rafikov comes over.
he signed for 2 more seasons in the KHL. He is playing under Dave King so the team is happy with him being over there.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too hard to say what they'll do with him. He hasn't earned an ELC yet, so it'll have to be an AHL SPC. I'm okay with that. Let him rotate into the lineup here and there just to see what he's got.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

He has signed with Columbus' affiliate.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
Fs Ryan Craig, Trent Vogelhuber and Seth Ambroz, D Oleg Yevenko sign one-year deals w @monstershockey. Vogelhuber a Columbus kid.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #11
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Blue Jackets were so impressed with him at training camp they signed him to a NHL deal

NHL Blue Jackets @BlueJacketsNHL
#CBJ have signed defenseman Oleg Yevenko (@OlegYevenko) to a one-year contract.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for him!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Well he is back! Flames have signed him to an AHL deal per Steinberg.

Blue Jackets did not give him a qualifying offer after his ELC ran out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: