Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2022, 10:34 AM   #61
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Washington is still on one dollar bill. Lincoln is on the five. Just because she passes away doesn't mean we have to frantically recall all physical money and reissue it with Chuck on it.
There won't be a recall, but I believe there is a law that requires the coins to be updated to feature the reigning monarch as soon as possible. It's not instantaneous, of course. For example, no coins were ever issued with Edward VIII on them because his reign was so short before he abdicated.

George V died in early 1936 and Edward VIII abdicated in late 1936, so they didn't get the dies to make coins featuring George VI until 1937. They continued pressing coins dated 1936 with George V into 1937 until the new coins were ready.

For bank notes, the Bank of Canada is already in the process of replacing the former PMs on the other currency with other prominent Canadians. The new $10s have been in circulation for a few years, and the new $5s are already in the process of being designed. I suspect they've already been planning on replacing the monarch on the $20 for a while. With the discontinuation of the $1, $2, and $1000 bills, the $20 is the only one left that features the Queen.

I suspect the Queen's passing will lead to a lot of discussion throughout the Commonwealth regarding things like whose face appears on coinage and naming conventions for things like the Court of Queen/King's Bench. With Charles, William, and George all in line for the throne, we probably won't see another Queen in our lifetime, but it will still be an expense to make those changes.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #62
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That would be absolute ####ing bull#### if we have to change our passports because the old lady croaked.

Frankly, I think you misunderstood whatever it is you are reading, or the source is hokey.

Why would our passport be invalid just because she passed?
Sorry, didn't mean to say or imply that. Passports wouldn't be invalid, just they will be replaced with the new insignia. Jimmy Stang is likely correct in that this would be done over time as people renew. My point being, everything with the Queen on it has to be changed. At some point. And it will be massively expensive. Even if these changes are trickled in.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:37 AM   #63
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
That would be absolute ####ing bull#### if we have to change our passports because the old lady croaked.

Frankly, I think you misunderstood whatever it is you are reading, or the source is hokey.

Why would our passport be invalid just because she passed?
We’re talking about something that hasn’t happened in 70 years… this is new territory with the way the world is today. Everyone is trying to understand century old laws, just take a breath and let it play out.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #64
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going to be expensive as hell when she dies. Just end our relationship with the monarchy when she dies. Put Justin Trudeau on the money for all I care and be done with the Queen and her family already.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #65
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Legally speaking, is there a problem with keeping a deceased Elizabeth 2 as official monarch and head of state for the country regardless of the progeniture laws governing the monarchy? Legally speaking IMO the Queen could be a statue and nothing would actually change.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #66
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing against the queen, but if she passes, now would be a good time to leave the monarchy.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:03 AM   #67
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Nothing against the queen, but if she passes, now would be a good time to leave the monarchy.
I'd be for that.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 11:15 AM   #68
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...n-elizabeth-ii

This is a pretty old article, but it's going to be quite the hullabaloo when the Queen passes.
This needs to be re-quoted so some people can read it. The idea that currency and passports just become invalid all of a sudden is ridiculous.

I find all of this very interesting from a historical perspective. The ceremony, the tradition, all of that interests me very much.

As an Irishman, I'm not supposed to like the Queen I guess, but I do. I don't agree with the right for any individual to rule divinely but as a personality she's always come across as a nice enough person quietly fulfilling the duties asked of her. She would never have expected to have been queen as the crown would've followed Edward VIII's branch. He abdicated, her father became king and then died fairly young and she suddenly had this thrust upon her at a young age. She's performed admirably given those circumstances. People will go on about wealth and not paying taxes and all of that, but I wouldn't wish at all for the intense public/media scrutiny and the constant public engagements. Couldn't imagine living life under that microscope.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 11:19 AM   #69
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Legally speaking, is there a problem with keeping a deceased Elizabeth 2 as official monarch and head of state for the country regardless of the progeniture laws governing the monarchy? Legally speaking IMO the Queen could be a statue and nothing would actually change.
It is all likely very complicated. Our Governor General probably plays a significant role in any sort of transition as the GG is the #2 after the Queen I think.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:26 AM   #70
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I it’s absolutely not going to happen but I agree that now is the time to end our affiliation with the monarchy. I have absolutely no idea how that happens and it would surely be complicated, but so will the process to change everything over to a new king.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #71
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't we dress some sacs of potatoes in queen garments at her desk/table, pop some sunglasses on it, and just continue on like normal?

Station guards to keep any people who are suspicious at a distance.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:32 AM   #72
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

CBC just announced the queen has passed away
karl262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:33 AM   #73
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

They've just announced she's passed.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:33 AM   #74
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Rip
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:33 AM   #75
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rip
Old 09-08-2022, 11:35 AM   #76
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1567928275913121792
Old 09-08-2022, 11:35 AM   #77
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

London Bridge has fallen.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:35 AM   #78
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Put Wayne Gretzky and other Canadian's of significance on the currency now please
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:36 AM   #79
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I it’s absolutely not going to happen but I agree that now is the time to end our affiliation with the monarchy. I have absolutely no idea how that happens and it would surely be complicated, but so will the process to change everything over to a new king.
I think Jamaica ended their monarchy earlier this year. I'm not sure if it is actually a done deal already or what the process is but I recall reading that Jamaica was ending things.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #80
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
yip

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote