Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2023, 07:42 AM   #1201
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Calgary city council passes safety bylaws after protests at library drag events:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ests-1.6779105
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:45 AM   #1202
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder who voted against it? Chu, for sure.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:51 AM   #1203
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I wonder who voted against it? Chu, for sure.

Chu or Maclean probably.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:51 AM   #1204
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chu, MacLean, Sharp, Wyness, and Chabot I believe.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 09:53 AM   #1205
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Chu suggested that they should have a public hearing.

...cause getting all the crazies in a room sounds like a great idea.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:04 PM   #1206
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and kid couldn't access the Signal Hill library today due to a protest. ####ing embarrassing society.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 09:09 PM   #1207
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Calgary’s new residential parking permit program raises concerns over affordability:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9575169/c...program-costs/
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:25 PM   #1208
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Boo-friggity-hoo!

1. There's a low income permit for $6.25/mo.
2. "With prices so high as they are for groceries and now you have to pay to park in front of your own home. No, that’s wrong." No no no no no, you're not paying to park in front of your house, you're paying for the privilege of no one else being allowed to park in front of your house. And rightly so.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 11:56 PM   #1209
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They’re really just making inner city living less attractive, which seems kind of counterintuitive to me.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:38 AM   #1210
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are all developers simply reducing parking to "make more money"? There is a case to be made for reduced parking on specific sites, especially in very walkable/bike-able neighbourhoods or ones very connected by transit. New proposal directly south of the Kensington Safeway for example is going with almost no parking (14 floors), but it is right next to the Sunnyside LRT and the bike network. If one wants to purchase in a building like that, they should be aware ahead of time they may now be paying for street parking if they have a vehicle.

I can understand the frustration of legacy residents in multi-family (and SFH) now having to deal with this. But at the end of the day you don't own the street in front of your residence. Timing sucks, but this was probably going to happen at some point.

Last edited by Bigtime; 03-24-2023 at 08:08 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:41 AM   #1211
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

A garage is not a storage facility that you can spillover your 3/5 cars you own into the roadway.

Suck it car hoarders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #1212
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
A garage is not a storage facility that you can spillover your 3/5 cars you own into the roadway.

Suck it car hoarders.
Judging by most people's garages I've ever seen, it's not cars filling them. I'm stunned by the amount of people I know of that have a garage that is either not used for cars, while they park on the street, or they have a 2 car garage that is so full of junk only one fits, and the other is on the street.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 10:24 AM   #1213
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Judging by most people's garages I've ever seen, it's not cars filling them. I'm stunned by the amount of people I know of that have a garage that is either not used for cars, while they park on the street, or they have a 2 car garage that is so full of junk only one fits, and the other is on the street.
That's what I mean, all the scrubs with a garage filled with junk, two vehicles in the driveway and 3 parked in various places on the street.

Make em pay! (...$18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 12:32 PM   #1214
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
It's me! Life is full of choices, and I chose to stay married rather than have an empty garage. Yeah.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:39 PM   #1215
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parking wise, the one thing I wish the City would implement is some sort of commercial vehicle parking pass that gives trades and services more flexibility to temporarily park their vehicles in restricted areas while they are conducting business.

If you're in a trade, or just a service provider who needs their vehicle to conduct business, parking can be a huge hassle in many neighbourhoods with permit restrictions. We live on a street that only allows permitted parking (despite being 80% empty), and when we had renos done last summer, those poor trades were getting tickets left and right. You can't expect a painting crew to be taking the bus, or parking their van 3 blocks away from a job site. And giving guest permit access is not really realistic when you're not home and there is a constant stream of people coming and going.

I'm sure many commercial drivers would rather pay $100/year or whatever instead of chancing tickets all the time. The City could make a little money, and people would be allowed to conduct their business without the hassle.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2023, 08:31 AM   #1216
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It was a lot easier with the old hang tags - I used to leave it in the mailbox and ask them to put it back when they were done. Although with the online system they would text me when they arrived and I would start a visitor session.

I wonder whether it would be easy to petition to remove the permit only parking. I know in our area it was put in by petition when was free I wonder how many people would be willing to pay vs clean out their garage.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:48 AM   #1217
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post

I wonder whether it would be easy to petition to remove the permit only parking.
Removing a permit only parking zone doesn't require any sort of petition, that I could find. There is a submission that can be made online for removal and the city will apparently do a study or some monitoring to determine if removal is acceptable.

I did this earlier in the year because my street is permit parking during the day likely because of our proximity to the UofC. After submitting the request I haven't actually heard anything from the city about whether or not they will actually do anything or how long it would take. I didn't even receive an email confirming my submission so either my submission did not go into the system or it poorly set up for communication.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:10 AM   #1218
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

In all fairness - the need for on street parking isn't always about junk in the garage. Current minimum garage sizes / sweep studies haven't kept up with the public's demand for larger, longer SUV's driven by people of average skill. You see this especially in some of the 6 plex developments with single garage units that have seemingly designed around a 1995 BMW 318i, let alone a 2023 Lincoln Aviator.

The City really needs to do a better job of communicating that these new permit fees *only* to apply to those with RPP zones. There are a pile of people up in arms about this who don't live in a RPP zone (or even know what one is)

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 03-25-2023 at 09:13 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2023, 09:47 AM   #1219
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
In all fairness - the need for on street parking isn't always about junk in the garage. Current minimum garage sizes / sweep studies haven't kept up with the public's demand for larger, longer SUV's driven by people of average skill. You see this especially in some of the 6 plex developments with single garage units that have seemingly designed around a 1995 BMW 318i, let alone a 2023 Lincoln Aviator.

I'd like to amend the wording

'Public's ability and willingness to pay for real estate to store larger vehicles is less than the public's ability and willingness to pay for larger vehicles.'

The public's demand for larger, longer SUVs is based on subsidizing private vehicle storage on public property.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:16 AM   #1220
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Yeah, giant SUVs aren't some basic human right. People need to understand the consequence (and price) of their decisions.

These behemoth vehicles mean we need to build wider roads, pay for more healthcare for run over pedestrians, suffer in the extra pollution, and have less cars that we can park on every city block.

Maybe it should actually be pretty damn expensive to make these choices instead of bending all of society to accommodating them?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: