Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2021, 01:37 PM   #41
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Gudbranson is one thing but that seems like an inevitability, I'm more surprised Sutter has Valimaki ahead of Kylington. Don't think he had a good preseason plus it seems like Sutter slams his game every time he gets asked about him in a presser.
This.

Ignore Gudbranson and Zadorov for a second...those guys were always playing game 1 with Sutter as head coach.

The bigger surprise is Kylington 100% earned this over Valimaki in pre-season, and deserved to dress game 1 for that reason alone.

Also it could be quite possible that they just didn't want to eat into the cap space to have to call up a replacement for game 1 for Coleman's suspension, and they like Kylington more on the wing than they like Valimaki on the wing. Probably not just a coincidence that Kylington has practiced as a winger at times this week, instead of as an extra d-man.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-14-2021 at 01:46 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #42
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I don't disagree, but the point should still be why is a bum like Gudbranson taking away his path to playing time? The answer - simply because Tre handing him a truckload of money for being bad at hockey.

You cannot convince me that this player is in any way shape or form an upgrade over Kylington at this point. Infact, he's a certain downgrade based on his track record and pretty lackluster preseason. Why not continue the momentum Kylington built by playing much improved hockey until he proves otherwise?
Sutter wanted that type of player in the lineup.

Wouldn't have been my call, but that's pretty much the bottom line.

I think Kylington halted his own momentum to some degree.

Can't see Sutter purposely choosing to go for the worse option without a view that's different than some (most) on this site. And if he's wrong I can't see him not changing it.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #43
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
...Also it could be quite possible that they just didn't want to eat into the cap space to have to call up a replacement for game 1 for Coleman's suspension, and they like Kylington more on the wing than they like Valimaki on the wing. Probably not just a coincidence that Kylington has practiced as a winger at times this week, instead of as an extra d-man.
At times? I am fairly sure it happened only once while Backlund was off for maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #44
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't decide which is better to dress faster D like Kylington or to dress bigger meaner D like Gudbranson against Oilers. I don't want that oilers small F's Nuge and Yamamoto runs around freely in our zone but I also don't want put bigger but slower guys against McDavid.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #45
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
I can't decide which is better to dress faster D like Kylington or to dress bigger meaner D like Gudbranson against Oilers. I don't want that oilers small F's Nuge and Yamamoto runs around freely in our zone but I also don't want put bigger but slower guys against McDavid.
Even as an Oiler fan, I don't think you have to worry to much if RNH & Yamamoto are running free. Some players you don't have to do much game planning for, and those are two of them.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #46
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Kylington is stronger and more physical than many give him credit for. Obviously not as big as Gudbranson but he is still
Physical… at least he was in the preseason games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:19 PM   #47
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
McDavid vs Gudbranson would be like Mike Tyson vs me, whereas McDavid vs Kilington would be like Mike Tyson vs a guy who actually boxes. Either way, they're still gonna get walked... the only difference is I'm probably never getting up off the mat.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #48
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Looks like Sutter wants to punish the Oilers along the boards and wear them down, which makes sense EG is playing. Whether he can accomplish this against the speed they are sure to see, remains to be seen.

The old farmer has his ways, hopefully he has the roster to see them through.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #49
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames MO.

genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #50
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Looks like Sutter wants to punish the Oilers along the boards and wear them down, which makes sense EG is playing. Whether he can accomplish this against the speed they are sure to see, remains to be seen.

The old farmer has his ways, hopefully he has the roster to see them through.
Jacob Markstrom is the great equalizer on Saturday. In their last three games after he had returned from injury last year, he won two, pitched a shutout, registered a SP of 0.960, and limited McDumbass to a goal and two points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #51
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
E5: Lucic to be named Captain
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #52
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Gudbranson is one of the worst defensemen in the league. He's on an NHL roster today because one of the 32 coaches in the league wanted him. I wouldn't worry about Kylington starting the season on the bench as it's probably only a matter of time until Gudbranson plays himself into being a press box regular. Darryl will give him some rope because he hand picked him but at the end of the day he knows he has to win games and make the playoffs.
He was on 2 NHL teams last year...one paid an asset to acquire him
Old 10-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #53
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So? He's coasting on a reputation that isn't backed up by his on ice performance. GMs making bad moves? Stunning.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #54
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random Kylington thoughts:

A. As stated above, the coaches see a lot more than we do. Both practices and little things that players are being asked to do. Kylington to a fan’s eye may have a great game, but he might be doing things we don’t that are mistakes in the coach’s eye, lot things they’ve said “don’t do”.

B. On that point, it’s pretty well known that Sutter “corrects” young players differently than vets, and for good reason. So last year Dube got benched for certain things while Lucic got to work them out.

C. Sutter is also a button pusher when it comes to players. It could well be that he wants Kylington hungry and not swell headed - they see the reviews as well as we do. Again, this is a young player versus veteran thing with him.

D. Overall, we all see what we want to see to a certain extent and while Kylington has sure improved, IMO he hasn’t been a world beater or anything. And while Gudbranson hasn’t been great, he hasn’t been as bad as people proclaim IMO. At the end of the day we are talking about a limited minute player either way.

E. For Saturday there are some pretty good arguments about having a hard checking fighter in the lineup. You all saw Nurse try to bully smaller Canucks. And while Gudbranson might be slow, he’s also capable of being in position to meet McDavid turning the corner and burying him. Wouldn’t that be nice?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #55
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
So? He's coasting on a reputation that isn't backed up by his on ice performance. GMs making bad moves? Stunning.
Darryl will decide which player(s) will give the team the best chance of winning.

His reputation of making right decisions is backed up with a lot of success.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #56
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Sutter wanted that type of player in the lineup.

Wouldn't have been my call, but that's pretty much the bottom line.

I think Kylington halted his own momentum to some degree.

Can't see Sutter purposely choosing to go for the worse option without a view that's different than some (most) on this site. And if he's wrong I can't see him not changing it.
It doesn't absolve Treliving of anything. We already have Stone that brings an element of what Gudbranson does, only even he is a better player - I really doubt Daryll was prodding BT daily telling him to go add some more hulking defenders with snowshoes for skates and if he was, it's still the GMs job to find the best talent available.

If this was the case, and this is how we are treating players that are practically begging to be offered some space to operate in the lineup, god help us all as he takes this franchise into another inevitable rebuild.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #57
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
It doesn't absolve Treliving of anything. We already have Stone that brings an element of what Gudbranson does, only even he is a better player - I really doubt Daryll was prodding BT daily telling him to go add some more hulking defenders with snowshoes for skates.

If he was, it's still the GMs job to find the best talent available. If this was it, god help us all as he takes this franchise into another inevitable rebuild.
Gudbranson literally said Sutter called him.

Treliving is going to try and get Sutter what he wants ... wouldn't you?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #58
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Tre on the Fan 960 right now
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #59
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit of a visual about how Kylington might feel about this.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:12 PM   #60
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Gudbranson literally said Sutter called him.

Treliving is going to try and get Sutter what he wants ... wouldn't you?
I think it speaks volumes to the fact that Treliving doesn't know what he's doing with this roster at all. I also think highly competent GMs would draw the line at paying a guy like this a premium knowing this guy would still be twiddling his thumbs or accepting a PTO from some basement dweller.

I would quite honestly expect a quality GM to tell Daryll that it's either Stone or Gudbranson - choose one or the other because there isn't room for two slow, aging players like this.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 10-14-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post: