Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2023, 02:30 PM   #1061
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Happened upon this article from June.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...port-1.6879980

Quote:
Residential school deniers tried to dig up suspected unmarked grave sites at the former Kamloops Indian Residential School, not believing a May 2021 announcement from the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc that as many as 215 Indigenous children had been buried there, according to a new report.

"Denialists entered the site without permission. Some came in the middle of the night, carrying shovels; they said they wanted to 'see for themselves' if children are buried there," said a Friday report from Kimberly Murray, the independent special interlocutor for missing children and unmarked graves and burial sites associated with Indian Residential Schools.

She did not say who the denialists were or when they came to the site.
Why would people be trying to dig up human remains, or I guess try to disprove that there are human remains there? If these people were “caught”, hopefully they can be charged with a criminal offence?
Old 08-21-2023, 02:33 PM   #1062
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

TIL that there is such a thing as Residential School Denialists.

This displeases me greatly.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 02:42 PM   #1063
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ongoing Residential Schools Tragedy Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Kenney had one of his staff, I forget his name. He was also one of the “look, the kids are smiling in the photos so they can be traumatized”.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...cide-1.5625537
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 02:46 PM   #1064
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I see this stuff all the time on Elon's app. Add it to the list of reasons I will probably delete my account on said app.
BlindMilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 02:51 PM   #1065
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMilwaukee View Post
I see this stuff all the time on Elon's app. Add it to the list of reasons I will probably delete my account on said app.
I dont partake.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:01 PM   #1066
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most disturbing thing about residential schools to me is just that children were dying, it was that government and church officials knew children were dying and did nothing about it.

Quote:
"Education of the children was a problem. The Indians (sic) wanted day school for their younger children, instead of sending them to the McDougall Orphanage until they were older. This is the way I look at the problem and advocated it, which caused some unpleasantness with the authorities of Church and Government. Another reason and the most important reason the Indians (sic) and myself advocated public school on the reservation. The children at the Institute were dying off in larger number than those left on the reserve. The Institute was not sanitary.

The climax of the trouble came when Mr.. Ferrier took the Indian children to the Red Deer Industrial school while the parents of the children were away hunting".
- Reverend Marchmont Ing from his memoir, reflecting on his time on the Morley Mission from 1903 until 1911.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:11 PM   #1067
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the deep south US we're starting to see rhetoric come back around that Slavery imparted positive learning and skills to the enslaved. Following this trend, I suspect we're less than a year away from some ####ing ignoramus publicly positioning that residential schools were positives for the indigenous peoples and they should be thanking the church/government for civilizing them.

Sometimes i feel like the decline in direct personal violence among most populations allows idiots like this to feel as if their thoughts are valid, when really a good punch in the mouth should fix things up for a bit.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:15 PM   #1068
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just read the NY Post article from the link in the CBC article. We are already there Monahammer. Well, I guess hopefully it just stays in the states, but doubtful.

Edit: Here is the link to the NY Post.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/27/kamloo...ews-in-canada/

Last edited by Doctorfever; 08-21-2023 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Link included.
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote