Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2021, 10:47 PM   #1001
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
If the Catholic Church was threatened with losing their tax exempt status due to welching on a court ordered settlement they would have the remaining $21Million by the end of the week. Either a show would be made about famous Catholics donating to cover the cost or they'd deliver the money while wearing rags crying about persecution and it would be back to business as usual.
Look...fundamentally I agree. Except its an empty threat and we all know it, worse, they know it.

The Catholic Church's day-to-day existence is effectively negotiating against Ken Holland with Evil Chiarelli on his shoulder.

They've got the upper hand. They know it. You cant bully them into anything.

I'd love nothing more than to start stripping Tax-Exempt status...but its just never going to happen. Any Politician that ever tried would be crucified (<-thats Catholic humour for ya!) and the job still wouldnt get done.

We are talking about an organization, and I dont mean to demean or lambaste rank-and-file Catholics here, I am talking about the Organization at its core, has committed and/or been party-to, some of the worst atrocities known to mankind....and skated by as though they've done nothing.

They make 'Teflon Don' Trump look like a Rank Amateur.

This time will be no different.

We want to fix this...but there is no sense looking to Rome.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2021, 12:12 AM   #1002
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Look...fundamentally I agree. Except its an empty threat and we all know it, worse, they know it.

The Catholic Church's day-to-day existence is effectively negotiating against Ken Holland with Evil Chiarelli on his shoulder.

They've got the upper hand. They know it. You cant bully them into anything.

I'd love nothing more than to start stripping Tax-Exempt status...but its just never going to happen. Any Politician that ever tried would be crucified (<-thats Catholic humour for ya!) and the job still wouldnt get done.

We are talking about an organization, and I dont mean to demean or lambaste rank-and-file Catholics here, I am talking about the Organization at its core, has committed and/or been party-to, some of the worst atrocities known to mankind....and skated by as though they've done nothing.

They make 'Teflon Don' Trump look like a Rank Amateur.

This time will be no different.

We want to fix this...but there is no sense looking to Rome.

I understand many Catholics want this issue to be addressed. Can they not initiate action against their own church? Someone needs to step up and do something.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:30 AM   #1003
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I understand many Catholics want this issue to be addressed. Can they not initiate action against their own church? Someone needs to step up and do something.
Its late, so I'll make this quick.

1. Action against their own Church?

- Been tried for centuries. Look at all the change its wrought. The people who matter are so insulated they dont care.

Why do you think they have their own little Country in the middle of one of the World's most celebrated Cities? Because they can. And it means they dont have to listen to anybody. Pure insulation.

2. Someone needs to step up and do something.

- I meant it when I said I harbour no ill-will against Catholics. The vast majority of them are wonderful people who genuinely want to do good.

The pavement of the road to Hell and all that.

But, within the context of Residential Schools (and other initiatives over history) where were the Good People when it was time to stand and be counted?

Simple. They got steamrolled by the system to which they were beholden.

Its not their fault. The system was designed that way.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #1004
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its late, so I'll make this quick.

1. Action against their own Church?

- Been tried for centuries. Look at all the change its wrought. The people who matter are so insulated they dont care.

Why do you think they have their own little Country in the middle of one of the World's most celebrated Cities? Because they can. And it means they dont have to listen to anybody. Pure insulation.

2. Someone needs to step up and do something.

- I meant it when I said I harbour no ill-will against Catholics. The vast majority of them are wonderful people who genuinely want to do good.

The pavement of the road to Hell and all that.

But, within the context of Residential Schools (and other initiatives over history) where were the Good People when it was time to stand and be counted?

Simple. They got steamrolled by the system to which they were beholden.

Its not their fault. The system was designed that way.

Well if individual Catholics can’t or won’t do anything, and each diocese is an independent entity, then we need an action that targets all Canadian Catholics and dioceses such as changing tax exempt status or pulling school funding. Then let them figure out how to address this issue themselves and if they don’t then F them. But of course Catholics are voters so....That leaves divine retribution I guess....is Hell still part of their belief system or are they just paving a path to nowhere?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #1005
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Getting Cash out of the Church is like getting a gourmet 5-course meal from a hobo.

Not gonna happen.
Henry the Eighth begs to disagree
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #1006
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Ryerson University will be renamed

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...e-renamed.html

Quote:
Ryerson will officially be renamed, the university confirmed in a statement on Wednesday.

The university’s board of governors approved 22 recommendations laid out by the Standing Strong Task Force. The university said recommendations were informed by the participation of more than 11,000 Ryerson community members.

“The report provides clear recommendations on how the university can move forward and write the next chapter in our history,” Mohamed Lachemi, president and vice-chancellor of the university, said in a statement.

One of the recommendations was to rename the school.

The debate over the renaming of the university intensified after the statue of Egerton Ryerson, one of the architects of Canada’s residential school system, was toppled and beheaded by protestors at a rally to honour the hundreds of children whose remains were discovered at a former residential school site in Kamloops, B.C.

In the past year, as an internal rift over changing the school’s name spilled out into the public, the university lost opportunities with would-be donors while managing complaints from current donors, some of whom threatened to withhold their gifts to the university depending on how it responded to public pressure.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #1007
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good.

No indication of what they will name it. Hopefully not after another politician.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #1008
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Good.

No indication of what they will name it. Hopefully not after another politician.
"The Locke School of Forestry."

Old 08-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #1009
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The should rename it Bryce University after Dr. Peter Bryce who was one of the earliest advocates against residential schools in the 1920s.

After reporting the conditions, they forced him into retirement and he published them on his own accord.

This way, they still get to name it after an Ontario whitey with academic credentials. And we know they love naming stuff after whities.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #1010
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should just stop naming things after people. There are millions of things that we can use for naming, and it will just make things easier in the future.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #1011
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
We should just stop naming things after people. There are millions of things that we can use for naming, and it will just make things easier in the future.
Go Soviet!

Calgary School #13.

Its all about the numbers.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:25 PM   #1012
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Go Soviet!

Calgary School #13.

Its all about the numbers.
Or an unpronounceable symbol along with "the university formerly known as Ryerson".
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2021, 11:03 AM   #1013
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
  • WestJet Elementary School
  • The School Near The Big Maple Tree
  • The Big Blue School on Elbow Drive
  • Red Roof High School
Old 03-09-2022, 05:36 PM   #1014
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

More graves found, this time in Saskatchewan https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...tion-1.6353015
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:42 PM   #1015
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

My sister and I went to Rosebud for the afternoon performance of New Blood. “New Blood is a show that is about Chief Vincent Yellow Old Woman, he is a former chief of Siksika Nation. It’s his story of growing up in a residential school and then struggling with addiction, and then healing and becoming chief of his people,”

The Chief had shared his personal story and a poem with the teacher from Strathmore, called The Indian and the Child. That poem is what the story and show is based on.

The performers were from Strathmore High School as well as first and second year students at Rosebud's School for the Performing Arts. Those from Strathmore High School were Indigenous and represented their parents or grandparents. The grandson of Chief Vincent Yellow Old Woman was one of the performers. Those from Rosebud represented the spirit animals of the Indigenous performers.

The show covered the traditional way of the Blackfoot Nation, then the fur trader times, small pox, residential schools, alcohol and other addictions, finding of graves, and then finally reconciliation.

I don't know when I have been moved more by any performance. It was outstanding. After the show, you could stay and ask questions or give comments. Chief Vincent Yellow Old Woman was in attendance and he spoke...truly an outstanding gentle gentleman. One very poignant moment during this discussion session was when a young man from the audience related his experience. He said he was from a long line of alcoholics in his family and he struggled with that same affliction. He was very emotional when he thanked the teacher and cast for an outstanding performance and for giving him new hope that he could break the cycle in his family.

This show should be seen by every student in Canada.

The show is only this weekend and not many tickets are left for the Sunday matinee. If you have some time and can make it, try to attend...truly outstanding story line and performance. A longer description can be found at the link below.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ebud-1.6391228

Last edited by redforever; 03-20-2022 at 03:15 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2022, 05:48 PM   #1016
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Thought I'd bump this thread, as the Pope is in Canada and made his apology today.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9013013/p...-canada-day-2/

Quote:
Tears streamed down the faces of Indigenous elders and survivors of residential schools as Pope Francis stood before them and begged forgiveness for the “deplorable evil” committed by the Roman Catholic Church.
Francis, at his first public appearance in Canada in Maskwacis, Alta., said he was sorry the church took part in the cultural destruction and forced assimilation of Indigenous people.
“In the face of this deplorable evil, the church kneels before God and implores his forgiveness for the sins of her children. I humbly beg forgiveness for the evil committed by so many Christians against the Indigenous Peoples,” Francis said Monday through a translator at the community’s powwow grounds.
Quote:
Others sat in contemplation with their eyes closed when the pontiff said the actions of the church were a “disastrous error incompatible with the gospel of Jesus Christ.”
Francis asked for forgiveness, in particular, for “the ways in which many members of the church and of religious communities co-operated, not least through their indifference, in projects of cultural destruction and forced assimilation promoted by the governments of that time, which culminated in the system of residential schools.”
Quote:
He said begging forgiveness is the first step and there must be a serious investigation into what took place. He also called the overall effects of the policies linked to residential schools “catastrophic.”
Quote:
Following his apology, Francis returned a pair of moccasins to Marie-Anne Day Walker-Pelletier, a retired chief of Okanese First Nation in Saskatchewan.
She had given the children’s moccasins to the Pope when an Indigenous delegation visited Rome earlier this year.
They were meant to represent children who never came home from residential schools and she had told the pontiff she expected him to return them when he came to apologize on Canadian soil.
Its a start, but in a journey of a thousand steps, this isn't even 10% of the way to where things need to go.

Beyond things like returning artifacts, there needs to be some significant compensation for the victims. And an act of public reconciliation action by the church.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2022, 06:25 PM   #1017
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the odds this " serious investigation" is carried out by anyone but the church itself? It's not serious if they do it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:11 PM   #1018
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It’s not as if the church’s role was an aberration or a one-off. This was part of the plan for the new world, carried out over centuries. It wasn’t some rogue individuals wreaking havoc. It wasn’t a bug in the system. It was a feature. Conversion and cultural annihilation.

Oops, our bad, shouldn’t cut it. EAD.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #1019
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised it isn't full, looks like lots of empty seats.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:29 AM   #1020
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

I'm surprised it isn't full, looks like lots of empty seats.
I'm surprised it is so full....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: