Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2021, 10:50 PM   #161
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I honestly couldn’t imagine having to be managed by an idiot like Tony La Russa. Hes going to lose his locker room because he is so out of touch with the times and his players.
100% It's embarrassing listening to him sewer his own player. Defending the Twins pitcher throwing at his own player. What a joke. Nice to see Mercedes' teammates back him up. These dinosaurs advocating for these ancient unwritten rules that make absolutely no sense can't disappear soon enough.

HR = getting paid. Mercedes needs to look after himself.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:59 PM   #162
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
100% It's embarrassing listening to him sewer his own player. Defending the Twins pitcher throwing at his own player. What a joke. Nice to see Mercedes' teammates back him up. These dinosaurs advocating for these ancient unwritten rules that make absolutely no sense can't disappear soon enough.

To me this falls in the middle . This was a position player lobbing a 45 MPH why won’t this game end lobber . Mercedes swung like he was trying to win the World Series

It’s like the 21 year old in softball hacking up 20 in the beer league game and celebrating

However - it is a professional league so do what you want . But don’t be surprised to be hit for being a jackass

Both sides were wrong, and as an old school I don’t like showing up your opponent (who isn’t even a pitcher) . It’s like roofing a 4-1 empty netter and fist pumping and wondering why you get punched

The Dodgers and SD characters are great for the game. Have some fun. But there is something called sportsmanship , and if you want to embarrass an opponent who has conceded the game there may be reprocussions

Last edited by Jason14h; 05-19-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:37 PM   #163
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was a 3-0 pitch. Is he supposed to take it and get on base? No when the game is out of reach like that all you want to do is get it over with fast. Which means you swing at everything and just try to get the game over. We’ve all seen this with much smaller leads like 6-8. You get out in front like that and the quality of at bats go down. You just hack and try to get it over.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:32 AM   #164
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post

Its funny you think that stuff is going away anytime.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #165
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol at going from the juiced ball era to the dead ball era overnight. Just bring back the steroid era, was the most exciting era in the last 50 years and as long as both pitchers and hitters can juice it's an even playing field. As we can see with juiced and dead balls it favors one side or the other, steroids are at least fairly available to everyone. End of the day the long term effects of steroid use on the body are pretty awful, if these guys wanna destroy their bodies for short term glory I say more power to them.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #166
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's not really the dead ball era, guys are just swinging harder and missing more. Balls are not being put in play. An average starter goes 6 innings with 100 pitches and 8 strikeouts.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:29 AM   #167
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Lol at going from the juiced ball era to the dead ball era overnight. Just bring back the steroid era, was the most exciting era in the last 50 years and as long as both pitchers and hitters can juice it's an even playing field. As we can see with juiced and dead balls it favors one side or the other, steroids are at least fairly available to everyone. End of the day the long term effects of steroid use on the body are pretty awful, if these guys wanna destroy their bodies for short term glory I say more power to them.
Geez, I sure don't, that sounds awful. That's the same justification used to keep fighting in the NHL.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #168
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

A bit off topic, but I've always wondered about the people who say "let them all cheat - it'll be fun!" I mean, sure, it'll be fun for all of us who watch and then continue on with our lives. But it will definitely not be fun for the actual athletes who mess up their bodies for the rest of their life just for our entertainment.

Gives me a gladiator vibe to be honest.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #169
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean no one forces them to do it. You think of Bonds and Clemens, two guys who were lock HOFers before PEDs, yet they still did them. Why? Because I assume being considered the all-time best rather than just being one of the best is important enough that taking the chance is worth it. I guess my point is I don't really care if they do it. They know the risks, they know the side effects and long term impacts, if they've decided that even with that knowledge they want to be PED'ded up then good for them. And as I said we might all have a problem with PEDs, but baseball's most popular, entertaining and fun era was the steroid era. Even now I see comments on articles and YouTube clips about missing the steroid era.

The mind of an athlete is a challenging thing to understand. Guys have had multiple concussions, and despite being already rich and knowing more head shots will render their brain (even more into) mush, they still persist. They rush back from injuries to play, knowing they'll need more painkillers to get through (a highly addictive substance as we know), and they just spike up. And it's partially our fault as fans because we've often assigned labels like "soft" or "weak" or whatever to guys who don't play through pain or concussions.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #170
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

CC Sabathia has some thoughts about Tony La Russa. More then a few swears

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #171
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's not really the dead ball era, guys are just swinging harder and missing more. Balls are not being put in play. An average starter goes 6 innings with 100 pitches and 8 strikeouts.
exactly.

the whole "swing for the fences" mentality has limited how well guys actually learn how to hit coming through the ranks.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #172
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Dead ball era? SF Giants scored 19 runs tonight and swept 4 game series with the Reds. Best record in the majors - no one saw that coming.

https://www.mlb.com/news/giants-scor...n-rout-of-reds

Quote:
Of all the offensive fireworks -- and there were a lot of them -- the most memorable was, far and away, Steven Duggar’s first career grand slam, which highlighted a nine-run third inning. Duggar’s salami wasn’t cheap either, a 427-foot bomb with a 105.1 mph exit velocity that smacked off the window of the batter’s eye below the Cincinnati Bell riverboat deck.
The Dodgers will test the Giants this weekend to see if they are for real.

Last edited by troutman; 05-20-2021 at 07:01 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #173
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

This guy is having fun. He even hit two homers in a game for the Brewers on May 2

Last edited by GirlySports; 05-21-2021 at 10:13 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #174
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

We almost never see baseball trades like this one in May. A starting shortstop for two pretty good big league relievers. The Rays are also loaded at the Triple A level with shortstops.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #175
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The Braves had fun teeing off on Wilmer Difo. 8 runs. ERA now 72.00

https://twitter.com/user/status/1395927371119747076

Old 05-21-2021, 09:16 PM   #176
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The Braves had fun teeing off on Wilmer Difo. 8 runs. ERA now 72.00

https://twitter.com/user/status/1395927371119747076
That drunken idiot La Russa has to be pissed they hit a grand slam off him up (who also happens to be a position player) 15-0....

Old 05-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #177
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paying Latin kids more money than you're allowed to = death penalty Rampant sexual harassment = <2 year suspension. Embarassing.

@jonmorosi:
News: @MLB places Mickey Callaway on Ineligible List through 2022 season, at which point Callaway can apply for potential reinstatement. MLB statement says, in part, "We are committed to providing an appropriate work environment for all those involved in our game.” @MLBNetwork

Old 05-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #178
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The three best records in baseball are in the NL West.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:33 AM   #179
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The three best records in baseball are in the NL West.
Yup, and Mets would be 3rd or 4th in any other division but sit in 1st in the NL West.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #180
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pirates entire franchise should be expelled to the minor leagues for this.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1397965741916360714