Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #181
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well. That was a nice win. Shaqiri seems to fit well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #182
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

a 4-1 loss is embarrasing enough, but a goal by Shaqiri of all people? Ugh. And such a pretty one too.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #183
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
a 4-1 loss is embarrasing enough, but a goal by Shaqiri of all people? Ugh. And such a pretty one too.
And all we read about is Mourinho complaining.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #184
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And all we read about is Mourinho complaining.
well if you read what Mourinho is saying, then it's your own fault

I've tuned him out for good.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #185
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
well if you read what Mourinho is saying, then it's your own fault

I've tuned him out for good.
Its going to be a long few years for you then, but it was Liverpool vs. United and there was no getting away from him.

He really cuts a glum figure lately, is he really that bitter about not getting his signings? I didnt even read about any targets that United didnt land.

I think hes mostly just bitter with the structure where hes not in total control.

Old 07-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #186
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

ha! Your own manager was still whining about big bad Ramos yesterday. But Klopp can get away with anything, of course.

As for Mourinho, he's probably just pissed that some of his ideas clash with those of the club. And honestly, it seems like the club isn't committed to spend as much money as in past summers, so I'm sure he's frustrated. But hey, he's been allowed to spend a ton of money already. Surely he can't complain.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #187
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ha! Your own manager was still whining about big bad Ramos yesterday. But Klopp can get away with anything, of course.

As for Mourinho, he's probably just pissed that some of his ideas clash with those of the club. And honestly, it seems like the club isn't committed to spend as much money as in past summers, so I'm sure he's frustrated. But hey, he's been allowed to spend a ton of money already. Surely he can't complain.
Hey! Ramos nearly tore our star player's arm off and single-elbowdly ruined Loris Karius' career and presumably his life. The man is an unqualified menace!

Besides, Klopp is lighthearted and fun and has an infectious smile, whats your guy got other than sour grapes?

In seriousness though, you're right, he was given money to spend and he spent it, its kind of disingenuous to be upset that he wasnt given more and more.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #188
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ha! Your own manager was still whining about big bad Ramos yesterday. But Klopp can get away with anything, of course
He's not whining.

He's just explaining.

Explaining how they would have won the game if Ramos hadn't assaulted half the team.

Or if Bale's bicycle kick hadn't been so flukey.

And not to mention the way after the game diagnosed concussion by FSG medics. That they HAD to release the results of because as we all know health records have to be made public!

Quote:
We didn’t use the concussion as an excuse for one second but how can we not put it out as an explanation?
All explanations....... not excuses.

Last edited by Bagor; 07-29-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #189
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agreed with a lot of Jose's mini rant

These tours in world cup years are crazy, like he said its super watered down because of all the senior players missing, and he just wants the few senior players he has on the tour to survive

Yesterday was basically a senior liverpool squad vs a united 'c' squad with a few senior players
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #190
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
I agreed with a lot of Jose's mini rant

These tours in world cup years are crazy, like he said its super watered down because of all the senior players missing, and he just wants the few senior players he has on the tour to survive

Yesterday was basically a senior liverpool squad vs a united 'c' squad with a few senior players
Two things: I agree, theres way too many games especially during WC years, but at the same time all of these teams are in more or less the same boat, they've all got a lot of games, they're all playing kids and reserves to wind up for the season and they've all got deep squads.

Its no different than pre-season in hockey.

If you want the money then its the nature of the beast.

They sold ~100,000 tickets to see Liverpool and United's 'C' squads, the most telling thing for me was that Klopp was looking at the positives and the growth in some of his new signings and young players and Mourinho was just complaining.

Your manager is the face of your team, if all he does is bitch and moan instead of working with his players and taking positives where he can then guess what the attitude of your team is going to be like?

Old 07-29-2018, 07:14 PM   #191
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mourinho's presser, sure doesn't not giving me the warm & fuzzies.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:12 AM   #192
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mourinho signed off on the tour. He knew perfectly well what he was signing up for, and honestly, it's not like the other ICC teams weren't hit by the WC. Real, Bayern, Barcelona, Spurs, City, Tottenham, PSG ... all those teams are overseas right now and all of them are missing key players. Mourinho is trying his usual "everyone against us" crap, exemplified by his pathetic whining about having to play the season opener one day ahead of the others.

Some of his comments were downright pathetic. "I wouldn't pay to watch that squad" and "this is not even 30% of my squad" is a terrible way of handling your youngsters. I mean yeah, we all know that the likes of Tahith Chong and Mason Greenwood won't be part of the senior squad this year, duh. But those are teenagers who experience their first preseason tour and who are doing their best, those comments are simply unnecessary.

His chicken fight with Woodward is amazing too. I mean, we are talking about a manager who has been at the club for 2 years and has been allowed to spend around 300m NET during that time, so any suggestions that he hasn't been backed by the board are complete nonsense. And a closer look at those players isn't all that pretty, either. Ibrahimovic and Mkhitaryan are already gone, Pogba is unhappy, Bailly fell out of favour last season for some reason, Lindelöf has been a passenger, Alexis hasn't shown enough. That leaves Lukaku and Matic. Hardly an impressive outcome, so can you really blame the board for being a bit reluctant? Mourinho has signed two CBs already and is pressing hard for a third one, it's hard not to feel that he's just burning money.

The meltdown is coming, all the signs are there. Some players are unhappy, but he I don't think he has lost the room ... yet. But it will happen. Sadly, as the Moyes and LVG fiascos proved, they'll not sack him quickly enough, but wait until it's too late to salvage the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #193
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Two things: I agree, theres way too many games especially during WC years, but at the same time all of these teams are in more or less the same boat, they've all got a lot of games, they're all playing kids and reserves to wind up for the season and they've all got deep squads.

Its no different than pre-season in hockey.

If you want the money then its the nature of the beast.

They sold ~100,000 tickets to see Liverpool and United's 'C' squads, the most telling thing for me was that Klopp was looking at the positives and the growth in some of his new signings and young players and Mourinho was just complaining.

Your manager is the face of your team, if all he does is bitch and moan instead of working with his players and taking positives where he can then guess what the attitude of your team is going to be like?
This thread is great now! Klopp is the whingiest manager in the league at this point. If it’s not the pitch it’s a concussion that took three weeks to diagnose or crying that they can’t spend enough money. But you’re right about one thing...it bled through to the players pretty quickly. The endless complaining about Kane’s goal, or referees or Henderson not being captain or a litany of other issues has shown through. It’s a model of class.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #194
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh isnt this just delightful Mourinho is the bookies favourite to be the first sacked.
He's entering his 3rd season, usually tumultuous and this summer is pointing that way.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...sportgalleries

Or maybe this is to setup Fergie's return?!?! he hated Liverpool more than anybody, .. with their promise ahead, is this enough to entice him. One can dream..

Zidane?
Simeone?

sigh.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:04 PM   #195
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

3rd season mourinho is real

But where else does he have to go after this, people thought he would mellow because his options are limited

His next job is probably an international one, cant see what big club would take him in future
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 02:23 AM   #196
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

But where else does he have to go after this, people thought he would mellow because his options are limited

His next job is probably an international one, cant see what big club would take him in future
While an international opportunity is most likely, I wouldn't count out a European club with an owner who has more money than sense. A return to the Serie A? Leeds?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:37 AM   #197
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Or maybe this is to setup Fergie's return?!?! he hated Liverpool more than anybody, .. with their promise ahead, is this enough to entice him. One can dream..

Zidane?
Simeone?

sigh.
Fergie is 76 and coming off brain surgery. That ship has sailed a while ago, and rightly so. He should enjoy retirement.

Zidane would be a dream appointment - if he's up for it, then it's a no-brainer. I also think Conte would be pretty interesting ... his first Chelsea season was really good, and I think he would do well with proper backing in terms of identifying and signing new players (which he didn't have at Chelsea, that's all Abramovich and Granovskaia).
Old 08-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #198
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

3rd season Mourinho is very real. If he takes an International gig though how can he blame management for not getting him the players he wants?

"The Country, they just didnt Nationalize the players that I needed in order to win."

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #199
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
While an international opportunity is most likely, I wouldn't count out a European club with an owner who has more money than sense. A return to the Serie A? Leeds?
His only option, but would he takes a job at a club like that?

I cant see his ego allowing it for a non cL club
Old 08-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #200
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
His only option, but would he takes a job at a club like that?

I cant see his ego allowing it for a non cL club
While I agree that his ego would be limiting, I think his international options would be limited when it comes to nations that have Champions League level prestige. I can't see the likes of Brazil, France, Germany or Italy taking a punt on him.

In my last post, I was actually referring to clubs outside of Europe when I mentioned international options. I didn't even link Jose with non-club football.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote