Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #421
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jankowski is scoring goals in the preseason, showing a knack to finish. Treliving said goal scoring was a concern for him going into the season.

It would seem non sensical to not have Jankowski start on Oct.4.

That being said, Jankowski needs to continue to play well against the upcoming tougher line ups.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #422
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I'm torn on the PP. I feel like Brodie/Versteeg clicked and was a big part of why our PP clicked and became one of the best last year for the final 2/3rds or whatever. It was also lethal in the playoffs with Versteeg being a huge reason why (I can recall he had 1 PPG and 2 primary assists on the PP).

But we also have Gio, Dougie, and Stone who are effective on the PP.
A big objection from me of Brodie being the one D on that 1st unit instead of Dougie is that Brodie never shot the puck. He's been doing that a lot more this preseason, so at least that seems very improved.

I just hated seeing the body language last season from the PKing forwards who knew not to take Brodie's shot too seriously. I wanted Dougie there because he knew how to get a puck through, and he was perfectly happy being a triggerman (I remember his SOG being quite high among NHL defencemen).

Brodie just needs to respect his own shot more, and looks thankfully like that's happening.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #423
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not going to flip over some preseason skate sessions, but if that is the line-up on October 4th then I'll be kind of disappointed
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #424
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm torn on the PP. I feel like Brodie/Versteeg clicked and was a big part of why our PP clicked and became one of the best last year for the final 2/3rds or whatever. It was also lethal in the playoffs with Versteeg being a huge reason why (I can recall he had 1 PPG and 2 primary assists on the PP).

But we also have Gio, Dougie, and Stone who are effective on the PP. I don't think we can tinker with the Brodie/Versteeg combo yet. Adding Ferland to the #1PP makes sense in the mean time.
Yeah, the only reason I don't like a 4th forward on the PP is if they give up too many chances the other way and I don't remember this lineup doing that.

It also gives the next PP unit a completely different look which the other team needs to adjust to.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #425
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Gulutzan says Monahan and Tkachuk will both play tomorrow in Winnipeg. Lack will play in net, likely go the distance. #Flames
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #426
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It makes sense for Bartkowski, Wotherspoon, and Kulak to each get one game this week on the bottom pairing with Stone. It also makes sense for Bartkowski to get the first shot as the incumbent. He sets the bar that the other two have to clear.

If they can't outperform him, they don't deserve the spots.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #427
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Gulutzan says Monahan and Tkachuk will both play tomorrow in Winnipeg. Lack will play in net, likely go the distance. #Flames
Really interested to watch Lack.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #428
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really CP? The regulars are meeting their quota of 4 games as stated by GG. Janks has already played three. Looks like they're just giving him a rest so guys like Monahan and Tkachuk can draw in and get some playing time.

Relax kids.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #429
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But we also have Gio, Dougie, and Stone who are effective on the PP. I don't think we can tinker with the Brodie/Versteeg combo yet. Adding Ferland to the #1PP makes sense in the mean time.
Even when the Brodie-Versteeg combo was clicking, I still hated it, especially on the #1 unit... There is no one whose shot needs to be respected; no one who can overpower a goalie with a one-timer. So PKers can just patiently sit back and clog passing lanes while the Flames throw it around the outside.

You've got Gio & Hamilton, both of whom can start a break-out and quarterback the PP, but also have big shots, and they end up getting more mop-up time with lesser forwards.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #430
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to freak out based on preseason lines but if that is the lineup come game #1 I will be pissed that Janko didn't get a chance based on his play.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #431
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
There are still 3 pre-season games left. Guys are still fighting for jobs.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to come to the conclusion you have come to.
I didn't make any conclusion. But this is the first game with a full NHL line up. I think it's fair to comment about not liking Brouwer with Bennett again, Jankowski not on it, and Bartowski on the ice. If it doesn't end up being day 1 that is great, but a full line up is usually a pretty good indication of what the coaches are thinking.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #432
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
I didn't make any conclusion. But this is the first game with a full NHL line up. I think it's fair to comment about not liking Brouwer with Bennett again, Jankowski not on it, and Bartowski on the ice. If it doesn't end up being day 1 that is great, but a full line up is usually a pretty good indication of what the coaches are thinking.
Bartowski is getting his shot with Stone. I expect Spoon and Kulak to get their shots in the remaining games.

I think Jankowski is a shoo-in to make the team.

Last edited by Vulcan; 09-24-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #433
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Bartowski is getting his shot with Stone. I expect Spoon and Kulak to get their shots in the remaining games.

Rasmus has out performed all 3 so far. Really have no idea what this team sees in Bartkowski and to a lesser extent Kulak. Both are fringe NHL'ers where as Rasmus has top 4 potential and already looks better.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #434
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If it was just Bartowki with Stone, or just Jankowski sitting, etc then I wouldn't have any concerns. But it is a full NHL veteran line up without a single PTO or kid on it. And it is a complete return to the coaches comfort lines that didn't work in the bottom 6.

They might just be setting a base line, or it might just be for a practice, it just seems a little suspicious. But we won't know until the roster is set.

The one concern I have immediately is Brouwer with Bennett. The kid just played a knock out game with good line mates. Keep the momentum going rather then returning to what doesn't work. At least until Brouwer earns his way back into the top 9.

But whatever, just a practice. Will see what the line up tomorrow (and beyond) is I guess.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #435
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Rasmus has out performed all 3 so far. Really have no idea what this team sees in Bartkowski and to a lesser extent Kulak. Both are fringe NHL'ers where as Rasmus has top 4 potential and already looks better.
Rasmus plays on the wrong side according to the coaches philosophy, and so would have to beat out Stone for a spot. He'll probably get the call up when any of our RD are injured.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #436
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Rasmus plays on the wrong side according to the coaches philosophy, and so would have to beat out Stone for a spot. He'll probably get the call up when any of our RD are injured.
That’s certainly not fair... are they going to sit him in the A for 3 years till a contract expires when he’s better than the rest of the prospects... I hope not

Doesn’t make any sense
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #437
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I would prefer Rasmus getting top 2 time in the AHL to be honest.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #438
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
That’s certainly not fair... are they going to sit him in the A for 3 years till a contract expires when he’s better than the rest of the prospects... I hope not

Doesn’t make any sense
That's a good point. It can't possibly be a set-in-stone rule, although they do seem to be willing to sacrifice a lot to keep it that way.

Even if we weasels his way into the bottom pairing or steps in because of injury...does he have a glass ceiling?

Or is this all a moot point, for Colorado to deal with...
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #439
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If Andersson has a great season in Stockton, I could see the Flames exploring trade possibilities for Stone.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #440
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anderson will get an opportunity when an inevitable injury happens. I also don't think its impossible they put him on the left side if he beats out Kulak, Wotherspoon, and Bartowski.