Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #81
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I loved what I saw of him prior to the start of this season and he looked closer than most of our prospects IMO. He has size, didn't seem slow and also looked good positionally. Can't remember what he did on the score sheet, however.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #82
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
I guess he is heading towards more of a homerun and last year was just an adjustment period to playing hockey in North America for the first time.

This is what ISS had to say before the draft.
That's very interesting how they characterized him as boom or bust - seemed to fall quite a bit in the draft because of those doubts. I like using a 4th for him - seems to be leaning more toward boom at this point in his development!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #83
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
5th in OHL scoring with 24 points in 15 games. Comments out of the OHL ranks about the "Flames stealing a player" in the fourth round

22nd in our prospect poll this season.

Over under on top ten next summer?
Well, you'd have to take the over right now. That said I dunno about him just yet...

I haven't seen any Sting games so I don't have a sense of how he plays "normally" (as in outside of highlight reels) and I haven't seen any current season scouting reports on him. Also, his point production seems awfully lopsided towards special team play. I think I'd like to see him producing more 5v5 before starting to think he's a steal.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #84
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shooter more than a passer = yay
Old 10-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #85
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it just me or do he look a little bit like Draisaitl?
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #86
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked him in preseason. I liked his hands way more than his feet though. That said, sakting seems to be one of the things players can work on. I recall it was supposed to be an issue for Draisaitl and it sure isn't now.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #87
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Wasn't he slated to go top 15 and fell because he had a tough draft year transitioning to the smaller ice?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #88
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
5th in OHL scoring with 24 points in 15 games. Comments out of the OHL ranks about the "Flames stealing a player" in the fourth round

22nd in our prospect poll this season.

Over under on top ten next summer?
With fans starved for more goal scoring I'll be shocked if he isn't ranked top 5 and if people aren't making armchair deals to clear roster space on the Flames for him next season.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:10 AM   #89
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
With fans starved for more goal scoring I'll be shocked if he isn't ranked top 5 and if people aren't making armchair deals to clear roster space on the Flames for him next season.
Well, looking at the situation right now, with Stajans contract ending, Bennett moving to wing and Lazar not looking so good, there's going to be a center spot open anyway.

That said, a lot will happen between now and then.

Hrivik is playing pretty good too in Stockton.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #90
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm going to get to watch this guy play on Thursday. Will try to report on what I see out of him.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #91
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I may be going to see him play on the 24th of this month. Looking forward to seeing him play.
Wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:11 AM   #92
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another 3 assists tonight. 16g-12/15/27, good for 3rd in the OHL
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #93
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
I'm going to get to watch this guy play on Thursday. Will try to report on what I see out of him.
Well? ......

Old 11-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #94
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There are tantalizing parallels with another fourth round pick, Jamie Benn.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #95
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

The sad thing is that his teammate & fellow top OHL scorer was drafted with the 2nd round pick we used to acquire Elliot... but revisionist history & that’s life.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #96
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well? ......

Sorry, I had life get in the way.

As it turns out I wasn't able to see him live (wife had last minute change in plans that resulted in me parenting for the night), but watched him on TV and tried to make note of whenever he was on the ice. It's not as good as seeing him live obviously, but here's what I saw:

- He's bigger than I thought he'd be. Not in terms of demolishing guys with hits, but he has a very good reach, and is very good at protecting the puck with his size.
- Very good passer, both in the offensive zone finding players in good spots, but also with breakout passes.
- He has average speed. He's not slow or anything, but he isn't a player that can back defencemen off with his speed.
- He has very good offensive instincts. He would predict pretty well where the puck would end up as the Petes would try to escape their zone and attack that place - quite often coming up with the puck and keeping the attack going. In addition, he seems to have a good skill set for having long cycling, high possession shifts in the offensive zone (smart passes, great puck protection, and great anticipation).
- I didn't really get a sense of how good his shot is. One attempt on net was partially blocked and slid right to an open teammate for a tap in on one of the goals though.
- He was one of the key guys on their powerplay. A lot of the plays would run through him.

As an overall assessment, he was one of the most dangerous Sting players on the night (Kyrou was VERY good as well). Every time his line had puck possession going into the Petes zone, I was worried they would score.

It's possible we have a very good pick in the 4th round as he has definite potential. Hopefully he can continue to develop and maybe improve his speed a bit to have an added dimension to his game.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #97
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I can only find the 5th round drafted Jamie Benn. Who is this 4th round drafted Jamie Benn you speak of?
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #98
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I can only find the 5th round drafted Jamie Benn. Who is this 4th round drafted Jamie Benn you speak of?
Jamison J. Benn, the lesser-known cousin. Drafted 109th overall in 2010. Really lighting it up for the Banff Fighting Squirrels this year.

Those who wish the Flames to acquire a sure-thing #1 RW, without giving up any significant assets, on a nice cheap contract, should be all over Treliving to trade for this guy.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #99
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
Sorry, I had life get in the way.

As it turns out I wasn't able to see him live (wife had last minute change in plans that resulted in me parenting for the night), but watched him on TV and tried to make note of whenever he was on the ice. It's not as good as seeing him live obviously, but here's what I saw:

- He's bigger than I thought he'd be. Not in terms of demolishing guys with hits, but he has a very good reach, and is very good at protecting the puck with his size.
- Very good passer, both in the offensive zone finding players in good spots, but also with breakout passes.
- He has average speed. He's not slow or anything, but he isn't a player that can back defencemen off with his speed.
- He has very good offensive instincts. He would predict pretty well where the puck would end up as the Petes would try to escape their zone and attack that place - quite often coming up with the puck and keeping the attack going. In addition, he seems to have a good skill set for having long cycling, high possession shifts in the offensive zone (smart passes, great puck protection, and great anticipation).
- I didn't really get a sense of how good his shot is. One attempt on net was partially blocked and slid right to an open teammate for a tap in on one of the goals though.
- He was one of the key guys on their powerplay. A lot of the plays would run through him.

As an overall assessment, he was one of the most dangerous Sting players on the night (Kyrou was VERY good as well). Every time his line had puck possession going into the Petes zone, I was worried they would score.

It's possible we have a very good pick in the 4th round as he has definite potential. Hopefully he can continue to develop and maybe improve his speed a bit to have an added dimension to his game.
This is exactly how he looked in the preseason. One of the more dangerous prospects with the puck. What I call good offensive size, so he can use it for an offensive advantage to protect the puck or maintain position in front of the net, but not necessarily physical. I think he could turn out to be quite useful on a power play.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #100
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
*drool*
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote